Speaker placement and room acoustics

Many of us have challenges in speaker placement and room acoustics which is having great influence in music reproduction no doubt other components do matter.

In my opinion if we face such issues, we need to treat our systems as near field and keep continuing with music enjoyment first rather than keep experimenting other things.

If we can not overcome with other compromises which are beyond our direct control then it means it is the time to move forward towards your system and keep enjoying music first

we need to treat our systems as near field
In my small listening room, I find near field position is most enjoyable. In a larger room with more flexible positioning of speakers and listening positions it may be different as points of reflection are further away.

Yes Rajesh near field listening would work relatively better with minimal room acoustics but you still have to place your speakers optimally in the room for the best sound. So no listening environment would work well near field or far without a proper speaker placement, which is not negotiable…

I tried many of these placement tips for many years but the sound only got worse. Then I got a measurement mic and within a day and about 100 measurements I found a good position to place the speaker and listening chair. I just placed the speakers where it measured the best. Since then I tried many other positions but always went back to the best measured position.

This was shared by @coaltrain in another thread.
Starts slow, but continue watching and you may find something that could make a significant difference
Here is the master setup guide
http://www.hifi.ir/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/master-set.pdf

And

This guy walks you through the process with a lot of tips

It does require a lot of patience and some hours, but it does not cost money

got excited watching these videos. Tried it on my Heresy IIIs sitting on DIY stands. Ended up nearly the same position as I had determined by conventional way and toe-in Paul Klipsch recommends for his horns.

The last mm that these guys are speaking about did not make much difference if it be mm or cm. The centre image with the track they recommended as well as our desi ones remained the same within a huge range not mm or two.

A kind of back breaking BALANCE control.

Not just room the speaker type also determines the imaging and all that holographic effect people talk about. Horns due to their beaming perhaps are not suitable for such treatments.

Just pulled in my carboard OBs sitting behind my Heresys. A simple positioning pointing to my chair, 1m from their rear walls and 3m or between them. Fired them with my ACAs.

Jennifer Warnes was standing in front of me singing not crouching below my AV rack. So too Yesudas standing 173cm tall in front of me. So simple with the OB.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back