Speaker positioning

Sauzz

Hi, should I push the speakers closer to the book shelves or little away? The current position isn't sounding off or bad, just wondering if I can improve on anything. Much thanks in advance..IMG-20201014-WA0009.jpg

Hi, should I push the speakers closer to the book shelves or little away? The current position isn't sounding off or bad, just wondering if I can improve on anything. Much thanks in advance..View attachment 50867
Where do you sit and listen? I don’t see any seat facing the speakers. Can you try moving the two single seaters from the bookshelf side and make them face the speakers (so they will be perpendicular to the two seater than parallel). The round chair can then be kept in front of the book shelves.

Lovely, Busy but cozy living room.

Given the stuff in the room, the Speakers are placed OK.

A couple of suggestions... If Possible...

1. BOOKSHELVES AT FIRST REFLECTION POINTS
One or Both the Book Racks should ideally be at the 1st Reflection points of their adjacent Speakers.

As the name suggests, the 1st Reflection point is where the sound from the speaker First hits the side wall. A bookshelf Like your would be Ideal at the 1st reflection points, since it will break up / diffuse the reflection from here.

To determine your 1st Reflection point, sit at your listening position, in yr listening chair (which will determine your ear height). Ask someone to hold a mirror at a position which will show you a reflected image of your speaker ( Usually your Tweeter or Mid Range). This mirror position is yr 1st reflection point for the speaker. Try to move your bookshelves there.

Alternately, if you can move your bookshelves, try moving your listening chair forward (towards the speakers) or backwards, till you see your speakers reflected in the mirror, held anywhere along your bookshelves.

images.jpg

Paths A & B show reflected sound from the 1st Reflection Points. Locate your Bookshelf speakers at these wall locations.

2. CLEAR LINE-OF-SIGHT
Ensure a clear line-of-sight from each speaker to your ears at the listening position.
You may need to shift the 2 single seater sofas a bit ....

Where do you sit and listen? I don’t see any seat facing the speakers. Can you try moving the two single seaters from the bookshelf side and make them face the speakers (so they will be perpendicular to the two seater than parallel). The round chair can then be kept in front of the book shelves.
Listening position is where I've taken the pic from, about 12 feet from the speakers, dead center

Lovely, Busy but cozy living room.

Given the stuff in the room, the Speakers are placed OK.

A couple of suggestions... If Possible...

1. BOOKSHELVES AT FIRST REFLECTION POINTS
One or Both the Book Racks should ideally be at the 1st Reflection points of their adjacent Speakers.

As the name suggests, the 1st Reflection point is where the sound from the speaker First hits the side wall. A bookshelf Like your would be Ideal at the 1st reflection points, since it will break up / diffuse the reflection from here.

To determine your 1st Reflection point, sit at your listening position, in yr listening chair (which will determine your ear height). Ask someone to hold a mirror at a position which will show you a reflected image of your speaker ( Usually your Tweeter or Mid Range). This mirror position is yr 1st reflection point for the speaker. Try to move your bookshelves there.

Alternately, if you can move your bookshelves, try moving your listening chair forward (towards the speakers) or backwards, till you see your speakers reflected in the mirror, held anywhere along your bookshelves.

View attachment 50901

Paths A & B show reflected sound from the 1st Reflection Points. Locate your Bookshelf speakers at these wall locations.

2. CLEAR LINE-OF-SIGHT
Ensure a clear line-of-sight from each speaker to your ears at the listening position.
You may need to shift the 2 single seater sofas a bit ....
Will try this, thanks

Listening position is where I've taken the pic from, about 12 feet from the speakers, dead center

Based on that, and the design on the flooring I am assuming you sit at the far end of the room. In general it’s advisable to have sufficient space behind your listening position and the rear wall. Also, as @IndianEars said, the line of sight is currently obstructed. I’d look at shifting the sofas as well as trying alternate listening positions than moving the speakers.

Based on that, and the design on the flooring I am assuming you sit at the far end of the room. In general it’s advisable to have sufficient space behind your listening position and the rear wall. Also, as @IndianEars said, the line of sight is currently obstructed. I’d look at shifting the sofas as well as trying alternate listening positions than moving the speakers.
Yup, behind me is the dining area, so another 12-15 feet. The speakers are Dali Opticon 8, the sweet spot extends to the dining table (behind me) at approx 55% volume (+ I don't need to toe them in either). Not much I can do about the line of sight unfortunately. But both single seaters, my listening position and the dining area behind me get very clear and well defined stereo sound/effect and soundstage.

@Sauzz you have a nice and cozy room.
In my experience, after the actual gear, speaker placements have the big impact on sound.
As a baseline, id recommend at least 3 feet from the speaker to both the wall behind it & from the sides, other than that, Id recommend that you move that chair (in between) the speakers, if that is possible.
Do spend your time experimenting with speaker placements, toe in and footers.

@Sauzz you have a nice and cozy room.
In my experience, after the actual gear, speaker placements have the big impact on sound.
As a baseline, id recommend at least 3 feet from the speaker to both the wall behind it & from the sides, other than that, Id recommend that you move that chair (in between) the speakers, if that is possible.
Do spend your time experimenting with speaker placements, toe in and footers.
Thanks Rajesh. Need to do something about the round chair for sure. When I move it away (temporarily), it does make a lot of difference to the soundstage. I use it mainly to lounge in when using headphones. Removing it altogether will require a hefty bribe to wife!

Except the chairs, everything else looks fine.
Check for possibilities to move the chairs close to the wall or bookshelf.
IMG-20201016-WA0044.jpg

you seem to have placed it the best possible way without compromising on the aesthetics. given what it is, you may try to keep the speaker distance from side and rear wall as equal to as possible.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back