Speaker Review!

malvai

Banned
Banned
Hi Guys! I wanted to share a bit of an experience that I had today.
Actually a whole lot of speaker experience!

I have been on a hunt for good FS speakers since about a month. And as good as the speakers that I wanted, I also wanted 'em at a good deal...

So, finally I (with great effort) managed to lug my very heavy Onkyo Integra P388f pre-amp and the even heavier Rotel R 1080 power amp, down 14 floors (I do have lift, but try lifting these babies, one by one and doing that journey twice to the car!)

Then off I went to a friends place to audition his B&W 63 S3, as I was getting a great deal on a set of pre-owned ones...

Heard them, sounded nice but nothin out of the world. In fact I found them a wee bit boxy (yes Dinyaar, you were right all along..!)

Then, I lugged the said gear (twice, up and down, 4 stories and no lift this time:sad:) to another detination.

This time to a pal who's got the mezzo 6 pair.

The sound was fine, but somehow for my gar it just didn't come together.... The B&W's were a better fit! (Once again Dinyaar, you were right, the B&W's are meant for Rotels....)

But the question nigling at my heart is "are the (grossly) over priced speakers the only ones meant for a Rotel????"

To find answers I decided to lug the ever heavier (in feel) gear to another destination- Boomerang. In Juhu.

Great place. There is a amazing guy over there who not only knows his music but also his gear. His name is Mr. Vaz.

We spent 4 hours audtioning seral speaker from several series. And here is what I fee about the mind bowing service + experience:

1. The Dali's are worth it. Even with a Rotel. Especially with the 1080. As the 1080, unlike the other rotel's is a bit bassy and lot less trebely (excuse the lingo)... And since the integra provides very little colouration, my gear sounds smooth. So the Dali IKON 6's went quite well with them. They are amazing for the money. But the Bassis not full in sound despite my bassy amp. No complaints but added thump is very welcome if you are a rock guy.
2. The Dali Helicon 400 is very good too, but for a poor chap like me the law of diminishing returns advises against a Rs 3.5L purhase. (And of course the low bass feeling continues here...)
But before I go on to point 3, let me make it clear that whatever I have written up until now is in direct comparison to the other brands auditoned. Which basically means that the other brands were better in bass dept....
3.Quad 22L2. These were fabulous! Especially since I was offered these at 40k (a good 50% off) at clearance rates!!! The sound is fab. Very balanced. Good bass too... But then,.....
4. They played me the Monitor Audio RS 8.... WOW! Beat everything in the room hands down! (pls note, the really premium "the wife will kill me in every janam if i pay for this kinda stuff was in the other room.") In the below 3L category, this speaker beats everything hands down! Seen it, more imp heard it!

Conclusion:
1. I am now happy that I did this, despite my sore back.
2. B&W is not the only answer to the ROTEL or for that matter any other amp.
3. Got the Silver RS8 for Rs 70k! about 26k less than MRP as these were their last demo pair and they wanted to clear them efore the new RX stocks come in! (I have even been given a replacement warranty for 5 years!!!!)

So, in short I even got rewarded for my trouble! :clapping:

A happy co-incidence:

After striking the deal, Mr. Vaz ecieves a hon call from someone and quote a ubiquitous Mr. Dinyaar!

Dinyaar dude, you're quite popular aren't you!?!

You pop up everywhere I go!

We must meet up, and soon!

Last edited:
Someone who has been buying hifi audio since last 20 years has to be popular. And i remember Dinyaar mentioning that Boomarang are one the best people to deal with in Mumbai
:)

Congrats mate, I was always impressed by Monitor and the Monitor MA 2000 gold I hard at Raghav is one of the best I have heard.

Good review.

I am also looking out for bookshelves and did listen to the Quads vis-a-vis the RS6 at Boomarang Juhu. I somehow felt the Quads were slightly better off in the details and somehow went with the hindi music played. MA though very good just impressed a little less.

Did you by chance listen to the bookshelves? Also what you felt were he differences in the FS as you found Quad also to be fabolous (40k certainly is)? I assume the bookshelf would share traits with FS of same series.

Raghav.

Hi Manav,
Congratulations.
The only way to be sure was to carry that pre/power combo to Boomerang.
Yes Grattan is an old friend and he is always helpful. We call each other almost everyday for something or the other.
Was nice talking to u and rest assured B'rang will help u with any issues that may arise. As regards the music played actually all of us should have almost the same!!!!! U could burn from any of our copies if u like the stuff.
BTW what did u hear in the other room? The Accuphase/Avalon? OR the Simaudio/Avalon?
Rgds
DK

Last edited:
Hi,

Did you compare the RS8 you bought with the RS6 or the new RX6? Just wanted to know the comparisons.

Congratulations on your purchase. Happy listening!

Regards.

Hi Manav,
Congratulations.
The only way to be sure was to carry that pre/power combo to Boomerang.
Yes Grattan is an old friend and he is always helpful. We call each other almost everyday for something or the other.
Was nice talking to u and rest assured B'rang will help u with any issues that may arise. As regards the music played actually all of us should have almost the same!!!!! U could burn from any of our copies if u like the stuff.
BTW what did u hear in the other room? The Accuphase/Avalon? OR the Simaudio/Avalon?
Rgds
DK

Heard the Accuphase/Avalon.... just blew me away..... man, that's next on the list!!!

Hi,

Did you compare the RS8 you bought with the RS6 or the new RX6? Just wanted to know the comparisons.

Congratulations on your purchase. Happy listening!

Regards.

Couldn't compare the Rs 8 with any of the RX's... they'll get them only next month....

believe that only the tweetersare different.... The RX 8 has the tweeter from the gold series....

Good review.

I am also looking out for bookshelves and did listen to the Quads vis-a-vis the RS6 at Boomarang Juhu. I somehow felt the Quads were slightly better off in the details and somehow went with the hindi music played. MA though very good just impressed a little less.

Did you by chance listen to the bookshelves? Also what you felt were he differences in the FS as you found Quad also to be fabolous (40k certainly is)? I assume the bookshelf would share traits with FS of same series.

Raghav.

actally, didn't audition any of the bookshelf's.... And yup the quads were immensely detailed in their presentation... Bt, I wouldn't quite say that they were more detailed than the Monitors.....

But rupee / music value is with the quad deal at boomerang....

Though, my dil got stuck on the hunky montor rs 8... it is awesome!!!

Malvai:

Congrats on the RS8. Much more bassy compared to RS6, eating up a little midrange and treble details IMO.

:)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back