Speaker switch

Shahmadhut13

I have single 4.1 Sony 90W speakers at home. I want to setup 2 offline satellite speakers in drawing room and other 2 offline satellite speaker in bedroom. And central woofer speaker in kitchen.
I don't want any amplifier because I just need this speaker to play from my phone through Bluetooth nothing else.

My specific requirement is as below.

I want to play music in drawing room or in bedroom or in both rooms together.
{Kitchen is in between those room so central woofer speaker (Bluetooth connection) in kitchen so i can play without any BT connectivity issue.}

I prefer to have in-line switch in electrical switch board along with light/fan/plug switches to turn on or off specific room(bedroom or drawing room) speakers.
No two way type switch nor any complex configuration, just on/off switches like lights to on/off speakers of that room.

Hope I'm clear in my query. Let me know if I'm not.

Thanks in advance.

I have single 4.1 Sony 90W speakers at home. I want to setup 2 offline satellite speakers in drawing room and other 2 offline satellite speaker in bedroom. And central woofer speaker in kitchen.
I don't want any amplifier because I just need this speaker to play from my phone through Bluetooth nothing else.

My specific requirement is as below.

I want to play music in drawing room or in bedroom or in both rooms together.
{Kitchen is in between those room so central woofer speaker (Bluetooth connection) in kitchen so i can play without any BT connectivity issue.}

I prefer to have in-line switch in electrical switch board along with light/fan/plug switches to turn on or off specific room(bedroom or drawing room) speakers.
No two way type switch nor any complex configuration, just on/off switches like lights to on/off speakers of that room.

Hope I'm clear in my query. Let me know if I'm not.

Thanks in advance.
It seems to me that your woofer speaker actually has an amplifier to which a pair of satellite speakers can be connected. Is this assumption correct?

1. A pair of speakers means there will be 4 wires to be connected. If you want to power two pairs, it means that there will be 8 wires coming to the kitchen (4 wires from drawing room and 4 wires from bedroom. Each wire pair as one wire that goes to the amp common connection. So out of these 8 wires, 4 of them will be common. So you are left with 4 wires. Two wires for setting room and two wires for bedroom. One of this wire will be the left speaker and the other right speaker. So as a minimum, you require a two pole double throw switch.
2. You also want a situation where you want to play in both the rooms together. This means you need to connect the bedroom and sitting room left speaker in parallel and also the right speakers in parallel. This will double the load on the amp inside your woofer speaker unit. Two 8 ohms speaker in parallel will become 4 ohms at the minimum.
3. This is possible but practically difficult and impossible with a simple switch unless you use relays that you turn on by pressing a switch. Without the use of relay, you will have to use two way switches.
4. You also need to run wires from each room to the kitchen.

A simpler solution is to have a raspberry pi streamers in each room. Also google mini/home devices, apple homepods, alexa devices in each room will give you multi-room setup without running wires between each room

Yes. the big box is the one that has the amplifier and provides connection to two pair of speakers, one pair for the front and one pair for the rear.

The sound from each pair will be different. This is a 4.1 system. The low frequency will come from the big box. It does 40Hz to 150 Hz. Only the boom boom kind of noise will come from this box. Most of the details will come from the front speakers.

You can't distribute the individual speakers to different rooms. Is that your intention? Or you want to buy additional satellite front and rear speakers for the bedroom and sitting room?

Your explanations about relay and amp load went over my head.
About load - It is simple ohms law. Your amp can supply power to 4 pair of speakers. Each speaker has nominal impedance of 10 ohms as per the specs. You connect 4 more pairs of speaker for another room to this, the impedance seen by the amp wil become 5 ohms (resistance to current will get halved). This will double the load on the amp inside the big box. Every amp is designed for a certain amount of current. You try to drive more current, the amplifier can overheat and get spoiled.

About Relay: Relay is a switch that can be operated by another switch. It has a coil. when you supply voltage to this coil, it will pull an armature towards it. This will cause contacts to come in touch with another. Here is a video showing how it works. Using relay you can turn on multiple switches with a single relay

Yes. the big box is the one that has the amplifier and provides connection to two pair of speakers, one pair for the front and one pair for the rear.

The sound from each pair will be different. This is a 4.1 system. The low frequency will come from the big box. It does 40Hz to 150 Hz. Only the boom boom kind of noise will come from this box. Most of the details will come from the front speakers.

You can't distribute the individual speakers to different rooms. Is that your intention? Or you want to buy additional satellite front and rear speakers for the bedroom and sitting room?
My priority is not great sound output. I just want that background instrumental music through out day which doesn't disturb routine conversation (i.e. low volume)

I want to keep 1 front and 1 rear satellite speaker in each room (so somehow stereo output is maintained)
I don't need sound from that big box as it is in kitchen. I kept that in kitchen so Bluetooth connection from mobile stay alive from any room I am with my mobile.

Coming to your question,
Yes, I want to separate speakers in different room. Not want to buy extra speakers. Is it possible?

My priority is not great sound output. I just want that background instrumental music through out day which doesn't disturb routine conversation (i.e. low volume)

I want to keep 1 front and 1 rear satellite speaker in each room (so somehow stereo output is maintained)
I don't need sound from that big box as it is in kitchen. I kept that in kitchen so Bluetooth connection from mobile stay alive from any room I am with my mobile.

Coming to your question,
Yes, I want to separate speakers in different room. Not want to buy extra speakers. Is it possible?
Ok. But you need a two pole switch for each room. As far as I now, I haven't seen a small electrical switch having double pole. Most double pole switch come in a large size like this
1644383209841.png

If you can diy than you can buy blanks, drill a hole and put a miniature double pole switch of this type. One switch for each room

1644383394917.png

A blank plate which can be fitted on electrical panels look like this
1644383574342.png

Ok. But you need a two pole switch for each room. As far as I now, I haven't seen a small electrical switch having double pole. Most double pole switch come in a large size like this
View attachment 67065

If you can diy than you can buy blanks, drill a hole and put a miniature double pole switch of this type. One switch for each room

View attachment 67068

A blank plate which can be fitted on electrical panels look like this
View attachment 67072
Double pole switch option looks good. Any tutorial video for wiring speakers to such switches will be good. I have searched on youtube but it goes over my head.
A relay switch video you shared have good schematic diagram but I couldn't found such for double pole switch to speakers.

One more question? Can't I join 2 speakers wire into one and put one pole switch? As i want to to use both speakers in one room together only.

This application is under-served in the markets. Commercial speaker switchboxes are available from the "pro" sound manufacturers, but they are all increasingly complicated & expensive (maybe $300USD (22k INR?) on up). They can usually be found in the "mixers" categories.

To do simple things inexpensively you will have to draw pictures and think really hard :)

What I remember from the old ones is to exercise care about choosing make-before-break relays and so on. Best to not switch running-equipment unless someone thought through that. Some amplifiers are very unhappy at doubling or halving loads. Seems the brainpower is here all around us but I'm not clear on where there are wires or no wires or which things are active and bluetooth.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back