Speaker to match Krell S300i

rav_mk1

Hello to all out there, Im a recent joinee but have been following this forum for advice since my first home theatre in 2010 (A denon jamo package).
Recently I upgraded to a Krell S300i integrated amplifier.. although the sound signature changed with addition of lot more depth but complex parts of music have started to sound congested :sad:(especially the upper midband) My limited experience tell me that the speakers Jamo C605 are being driven beyond their capabilities.. this is where I need your expertise to suggest some options for speakers that match the Krell.:)
Welcome all suggestions..

whats your source equipment and software ( CD / FLAC ?? )

what about speaker cables / interconnects / speaker placement / power cable ?

please look at the above before looking at bigger things.

The items mentioned above need not be exotic or costly but try to experiment and oush the envelope furthest you can go. That may be a cheaper way to get the sound you wish.

rgds

Hello to all out there, Im a recent joinee but have been following this forum for advice since my first home theatre in 2010 (A denon jamo package).
Recently I upgraded to a Krell S300i integrated amplifier.. although the sound signature changed with addition of lot more depth but complex parts of music have started to sound congested :sad:(especially the upper midband) My limited experience tell me that the speakers Jamo C605 are being driven beyond their capabilities.. this is where I need your expertise to suggest some options for speakers that match the Krell.:)
Welcome all suggestions..

Yes , you are right...

It needs matching with the right speaker...do some experiments with the positioning of the speakers..like 3 feet from the wall and 2 feet from the side wall..and see if something gets changed..

cheers

Dheeraj

Isn't "upper midrange" a problem, with Krell's integrated amps, heard a lot about Krells having this problem about them having hardened midrange, especially their integrated range ?

Don't think it is a problem with your speakers.

Hi MPW,
To answer your concerns
My source is mostly FLAC through Dune HD media player using its internal DAC.
Speaker cables are profi gold and interconnects are Qed.
The power cable is the one that came with the amplifier as krell in its manual says that we donot need after market power cable.
The speakers are place 1 foot from the rear and side walls. I've not toed them in as their Off axis response is quite good.

Isn't "upper midrange" a problem, with Krell's integrated amps, heard a lot about Krells having this problem about them having hardened midrange, especially their integrated range ?

Don't think it is a problem with your speakers.

I heard them on Tannoy's DC6T SE before buying it was very smooth but unfortunately those Tannoys were a touch too polite for me:eek:

Yes , you are right...

It needs matching with the right speaker...do some experiments with the positioning of the speakers..like 3 feet from the wall and 2 feet from the side wall..and see if something gets changed..

cheers

Dheeraj

Can you please elaborate on the positioning as they sounded their best with the previous amplifier (marantz 5006) in their current position without any toe in

Do you think a warm DAC with XLR outs would make a difference.. if yes which ones could I consider... (availability in India is a must:))

Can you please elaborate on the positioning as they sounded their best with the previous amplifier (marantz 5006) in their current position without any toe in

In the first post if you would have mentioned that, earlier with marantz, this problem was not there..then it would have been a different story...
if you can read the review of your krell on what the hifi....it says this amp needs careful matching with speaker...

cheers

Dheeraj

if you can read the review of your krell on what the hifi....it says this amp needs careful matching with speaker...

cheers

Dheeraj[/QUOTE]

Thanks dheeraj, but I have no idea what that careful matching means:confused:, I am hoping for some starting points and speaker choices that you feel would suit the krell as for the amp it is wonderfully analytical great sound stage only limited by my speakers the bass is out of this world its really hard to do any better on that front..:D, I audtioned Dali Ikon 7 and Mentor 6 with an Arcam A 38, the dalis sounded very good for the money and Im quite inclined towards them but only concern is their ribbon tweeter construction which might become too much for the already forward (not in a bad way) sounding Krell..

Thanks

Hi,
Just an update .... Gott a Sonodyne P1dac today and voila the midrange has opened up like a morning flower... The Krell is now showing its might in detail and resolution getting more musical... :)

Hi Dheeraj,
Where did you get the Schiit gungnir DAC from India or Abroad?? and whats the price. Secondly what is the sound like is it on the warmer side or neutral analytical.
Thanks for your response.

Rav_mk1
Schiit has no dealership in the world, they do direct sales, so their costs are very low compared to other Dacs...landing cost is 70k...and it can easily beat the Dacs , worth 160k..it has neutral signature...mimimum noise...can do wonders if ur system is revealing...but sonodyne Dac is bang for a buck...for the same quality you have to spend twice as much for firangi Dacs..

Even I want to listen to the Schiit Gungnir and compare it with other DACs such as the Meridian Director, M2tech Evo/Young, Wyred4Sound DAC 1/2

Hi Panditji,
Meridian you laready have, Wyred4sound your friend has and for M2tech you have a dealer near you sound by design in gurgaon..

Schiit is altogether on different level with black background and neutral sound...

For any DAC to test...it should e tested on headphones...because on headphone only you can differentiate minutely between the DACs..and Schiit Gungnir has the fan following among headphone junkies..you can easily check on net..
Cheers
Dheeraj

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back