Speaker upgrade (2 lakh)

This may sound curt and blunt but if I were you , I would plonk that 2 lakhs into speakers alone first, rest of the chain is good enough for a good speaker which has sensitivity > 85 and impedance doesn't dip below 4 Ohms. Speaker is the real deal put money there over next 3/4 years you will upgrade the chain. If you try to peanut butter your budget by distributing 2 lakhs across the chain , you won't get much audible improvement .

This may sound curt and blunt but if I were you , I would plonk that 2 lakhs into speakers alone first, rest of the chain is good enough for a good speaker which has sensitivity > 85 and impedance doesn't dip below 4 Ohms. Speaker is the real deal put money there over next 3/4 years you will upgrade the chain. If you try to peanut butter your budget by distributing 2 lakhs across the chain , you won't get much audible improvement .
+1
Allot the maximum funds for speakers for real audible improvement.

You can check KLH Model 5 as well..Got some good rave reviews
The KLH Kendall floorstanders
would more suit the OPs need considering his previous choices

P.s - though i always stay out of advising/recommending brands that i represent myself
In this particular case i genuinely belive
That the KENDALL
Would be very suitable

The kendalls go up against the Polk reserveR 700's and the tektons

Obviously this is considered bias advice
But OP is suggested to do his due diligence on the said advice

Idea was two have a complete 2nd setup. If theres a cheaper amp I can use that with the Dali and keep the marantz amp for the new setup I'm happy to do that. Any suggestions?

Norge gold 1000
Dali Z3+Norge 1000+ DAC will give good sound stage for 15x10
I enjoy Z3+Norge+SMSL S9 than Z3+Marantz 6005 (room size 17x10)

Also Check out Monitor Audio Silver or if possible Gold. Sound signature lot different than Bronze. Even i didnt like MA bronze bookself and i choose Dali Z3 (Elac Debut B6 shortlisted but but everyone quoted more since it was newly launched)

As FM said get Speakers first then upgrade AMPS (Below 1.5L rs speakers its difficult to satisfy the need of sound stage for Room size)
Do audition Monitor Audio, Triangle, Focal and even Dali other models

Hey Everyone!

I'm planning to upgrade my stereo system to match my new living room. The room is 25'x20' and my the Dali Zensor 3's don't sound "full" vs. when I was in a smaller space.I'm going to move these speakers into my home office setup where they sound good.

Living room - 25' x 20' with 3 walls, one side open to balcony with french windows
Home office - 15' x 10' approx

Current equipment list:
- Dali Zensor 3
- Marantz PM 6006 - (stereo amp + DAC with optical inputs so you don't have to Google it)
- Yamaha WRC-50 - I feed the TV via optical input + use spotify/airplay on this.
- SVS PB-2000 Pro

What I want to solve for:
- New speakers - floorstanders that can do justice to the size of my room. I'm also looking for something more aggressive and faster sounding - the Dali + Marantz combo is warm and laid back. These will be run alongside the SVS sub.
- New stereo amplifier - open to which amp goes with which speaker
- Subwoofer output + room correction - I'm thinking of getting the miniDSP 2x4 HD to integrate/EQ the speakers and SVS sub
- Bridge to connect my macbook to amp in the office setup - USB DAC or a USB to optical bridge? Not sure what is the right approach.

Budget - 2 Lakh (flexible for the right setup)

Where to buy - I can get smaller components from the US which opens up more options. Speakers will be bought in Bangalore.
I agree with the advice by FMs that it'd pay far greater dividends if you upgrade the speaker first within the Rs.2 lakh budget. Sometime later down the line, you can upgrade the amp if at all you feel the need.

For your room size of 25x20, a floorstander with 8" drivers would be ideal. Considering the brief i.e. scale and aggression, here are some speakers that should be on your essential audition list:

Monitor Audio Bronze 500
Klipsch RP8000F
Dali Oberon 9
Magnat Transpulse 1500
KEF Q950
Revel Concerta2 F36

Last edited:
You definitely have a huge room to fill. You need floor standing speakers ( sorry but book shelves would be lost in that space ), with high power handling, that can go to insane volume levels without breaking a sweat or distortion. So that points me to speakers with a studio heritage, where the same qualities are required. ATC first come to mind, followed by PMC and Dynaudio.

I second that. Focals are good speakers. I have Focal Chorus 726V which I don't use as much now because I have upgraded to Spendor D 9.2 but the Focals are very balanced, nice sounding speakers
Thanks - from the reviews, it looks like the closest match to what I'm looking for. Might go up a notch for the Aria 926 after I give them a listen.
I agree with the advice by FMs that it'd pay far greater dividends if you upgrade the speaker first within the Rs.2 lakh budget. Sometime later down the line, you can upgrade the amp if at all you feel the need.

For your room size of 25x20, a floorstander with 8" drivers would be ideal. Considering the brief i.e. scale and aggression, here are some speakers that should be on your essential audition list:

Monitor Audio Bronze 500
Klipsch RP8000F
Dali Oberon 9
Magnat Transpulse 1500
KEF Q950
Revel Concerta2 F36
Thanks for sharing!

1) Looks like the Dali and Dynaudio are both 4ohm and will be harder to drive. I currently have the Dali Zensor 3 which is very warm + laid back. Ideal for classical instruments but I'm looking for something faster sounding this time.
2) I'm going to pair the speakers with a SVS PB 2000 pro which I already own (and a miniDSP for sub integration). Would you still recommend a system with 8 inch drivers, or upgrade on the rest of the components? An example would be Monitor Audio Bronze 500 vs. Silver 300, or Dali Oberon 9 vs. Opticon 6?

Let me know - auditions start this Saturday :)

Last edited by a moderator:
why not go for dali floorstanders (zensor 7 for 98k)... Current speakers can help if going for HT down the line..

Dali is a great line..bookshelf won't do justice in such a big room.

You could also consider buying a beefier amplifier.. Good ol rega, naim and such...

Last edited:
Monitor Audio Bronze 500 vs. Silver 300, or Dali Oberon 9 vs. Opticon 6
1st Silver 300
- More detail and great punch
- Great Built
2nd Dali Oberon 9
- Very loud and do justice for long term and match with Z3 for future HT
- Zensors are VFM but Oberon felt pricier for the range but really loud which you need

Both are towards bright and more detail
Opticon 6 is good but for loud sound Oberon 9

Share your listening experience with speakers you audition

Thanks for sharing!

1) Looks like the Dali and Dynaudio are both 4ohm and will be harder to drive. I currently have the Dali Zensor 3 which is very warm + laid back. Ideal for classical instruments but I'm looking for something faster sounding this time.
Some speakers rated at 8 ohms are actually 4 ohm speakers but manufacturer's tomfoolery that they rate speakers that dip down sub 4ohm as 6 or 8ohm.
2) I'm going to pair the speakers with a SVS PB 2000 pro which I already own (and a miniDSP for sub integration). Would you still recommend a system with 8 inch drivers, or upgrade on the rest of the components?
While coupling a subwoofer gives you some additional scale, if you want a big room filling sound, you need big speakers. Your experience with the Zensor 3 in your new room harks to it.
An example would be Monitor Audio Bronze 500 vs. Silver 300, or Dali Oberon 9 vs. Opticon 6?
You'll have to decide between room filling sound or a step up in refinement and detail at its expense! For that, your ears would be the best arbiter juxtaposed against your requirements. Since you are keen on the Silver and the Opticon, do add them to your audition list to understand what you will gain versus the trade off.

I have heard the Opticon 6's driven by a Powernode 2i and despite being rather diminutive in size, they sounded lovely at the low volumes we were playing it at in a room that was approx 15x12. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
So I did my first set of auditions this weekend.

First I went to Qubix in Bangalore where I tried the Wharfdale Evo 4.4 and the B&D 603 S2. It was placed in the middle of an untreated showroom so was an open setup

Wharfdale Evo 4.4
- Fuller sounding for sure. The Wharfdale mid-range really comes through
- Less resolution than I'm used to, even with the Dali Zensor 3s
- Soundstage was missing
- They sounded shrill? I've heard AMT tweeters before (and liked them on Emotiva airmotivs) but this one didnot sound good to my ears
- Overall: Didnot sound like an upgrade to me from the current setup

B&D 603
- The first thing you notice is the resolution and clarity - seperation of instruments is insane on these
- The soundstage was wide and expansive, reaching beyond the physical location of the speakers themselves
- The mid-range was somewhat missing, and in the open room I could not feel the same impact as the wharfdales
- Overall: These would be good for classical/jazz/hindi music but I lean more towards electronic so in the end not a signature for me

Next I went to the new Focal powered by Naim flagship showroom in central Bangalore. This store is just 4 months old and is a fun experience for FMs for sure!

I tried the Focal Chora 826, Aria 926 and Aria 936

The Focal Aria 926 sounded really good, definitely a step up from the Chora in fullness and resolution (and price 😢)
- Fast and fun sounding
- Very good dynamics
- Full sound - extended low enough for me and with a sub there were no voids
- Soundstage was surely smaller than the B&W 603s, but wide enough
- Reasonable instrument seperation, B&W ahead again
- The Aria 936 had a much deeper low-end, but with a subwoofer it was moot
- Overall: I liked these the best of the 3, and a clear contender for me. Might go back at the end of the loop to demo them again.

Once I was done with the Focal Chora and Aria lines, Azaad the showroom tech took me over to a hidden room to listen to the Grande Utopia EVOs 😍😍. Picture dump below.

Next up for testing - Monitor Audio, Dali.

I've not found Paradigm, Triangle & Revel so far in Bangalore - any suggestions on who stocks these?

Attachments

• IMG_1438.jpeg
    IMG_1438.jpeg
    800.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    819.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    922.2 KB · Views: 75
B&D 603
- The first thing you notice is the resolution and clarity - seperation of instruments is insane on these
- The soundstage was wide and expansive, reaching beyond the physical location of the speakers themselves
- The mid-range was somewhat missing, and in the open room I could not feel the same impact as the wharfdales
- Overall: These would be good for classical/jazz/hindi music but I lean more towards electronic so in the end not a signature for me
Never knew Black & Decker make speakers:eek:

First I went to Qubix in Bangalore where I tried the Wharfdale Evo 4.4 and the B&D 603 S2. It was placed in the middle of an untreated showroom so was an open setup

Wharfdale Evo 4.4
- Soundstage was missing
- They sounded shrill? I've heard AMT tweeters before (and liked them on Emotiva airmotivs) but this one didnot sound good to my ears

B&D 603

Next I went to the new Focal powered by Naim flagship showroom in central Bangalore. This store is just 4 months old and is a fun experience for FMs for sure!

The Focal Aria 926 sounded really good, definitely a step up from the Chora in fullness and resolution (and price 😢)
- Fast and fun sounding
- Very good dynamics
- Overall: I liked these the best of the 3, and a clear contender for me. Might go back at the end of the loop to demo them again.

Once I was done with the Focal Chora and Aria lines, Azaad the showroom tech took me over to a hidden room to listen to the Grande Utopia EVOs 😍😍. Picture dump below.

I've not found Paradigm, Triangle & Revel so far in Bangalore - any suggestions on who stocks these?
I can relate to what you're saying. One of the best speakers I've never heard till date, some 15 years ago and which still haunts me, is a B&W.

Wharfdale Evo 4.4
- Soundstage was missing

B&D 603

- Fast and fun sounding
- Very good dynamics

I see
You have been to faideal
At worli

The focal kantos are amazing

I can relate to what you're saying. One of the best speakers I've never heard till date, some 15 years ago and which still haunts me, is a B&W.
In comparison, the Focal 826 is the most underwhelming speaker I've ever heard. And i did find it's top end to be surprisingly unnatural. I wont rule out the possibility that it could've been the room and the manner in which it was setup. No bass, no mid range and a strange top end which coloured everything played through it - it is a really polarising speaker!

Last edited:
I'm comparison, the Focal 826 is the
Published too fast :)

I also started doing my research on amplifiers and thought a power amplifier might be a good way to go.

Marantz MM7025 - 73k on Amazon India which looks like a good deal
- Puts out 140W per channel
- Known to pair well with Focals. Interesting the Focal showroom was using Marantz equipment for all demos vs. Naim

Emotiva BasX A2 - 81k in India (500 USD in the US)
- I wonder why the price difference is so high vs. the US price
- I can potentially carry one back from the US in September - anyone done this before and gone through customs?
- Reviews look quite good and call it neutral sounding

Question: Are there other amplifier recommendations I should be looking at? I don't want to spend a bomb here so looking for cheap + clean power.

My entire stack would look like this:
1) Yamaha WXC-50 - as a streamer to input all sources. I bypass the pre-amp and output optical into number 2
2) MiniDSP 2x4HD - as a DAC + Crossover to speakers/sub + RoomEQ.
3) New power amp
3) New speakers (Focal Aria are frontrunners right now)
4) SVS PB-2000 Pro

I use the fire TV remote as a universal remote to power on tv+streamer, navigate and control volume on the streamer itself. This works for the family as an easy to use solution.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back