Speaker Upgrade Advice

Lizard King, the D3 is different from the Matrix 3. I don’t care for the D3. Having said that the 800 D3 will still be a cut above the models you are looking at.

Ideally it’s the 801, not the 800 you should look for. For home use the 801 is better. The 801 Matrix 3 is from 1979. Incidentally the DSOTM has been mastered on the B&W. Many classical recordings have been mastered on the 801.
Haven't you seen my budget? :)
801 or 800 is of no difference to me :cool:

You should also consider the B&W 603, they are in your budget & i have demoed them with the Cambridge Audio Edge A integrated amp & was amazed. Value for money if you ask me. Check some reviews online.

All the best for your hunt..

You should also consider the B&W 603, they are in your budget & i have demoed them with the Cambridge Audio Edge A integrated amp & was amazed. Value for money if you ask me. Check some reviews online.

All the best for your hunt..
I heard them but wasn't very happy. But wasn't with the high end amp as you did. Some NAD IIRC. 700 series is out of budget.

Haven't you seen my budget? :)
801 or 800 is of no difference to me :cool:
Isn’t a 926 around 2.5-3 lakhs? A B&W 801 Matrix 3 will be around USD 2500 for a used one. Add shipping and customs. And you are looking at around 3.5 lakhs

Last edited:
Isn’t a 926 around 2.5-3 lakhs?
Yes it is, when the Indian dealer changed hands , there was a stock clearance sale at 1.5L to 1.6L INR (btw France prices are around 1800 Euro) Many (including myself) bought it during the period. At that price range it is/was unbeatable.

Isn’t a 926 around 2.5-3 lakhs? A B&W 801 Matrix 3 will be around USD 2500 for a used one. Add shipping and customs. And you are looking at around 3.5 lakhs
MRP is around 3.2L , even with new dealership around 35-40% discount was possible. Selling price can be between 1.85-2.1L depending on the dealer relationship

I heard them but wasn't very happy. But wasn't with the high end amp as you did. Some NAD IIRC. 700 series is out of budget.
Could be the amp then as for me the 603 was very dynamic with the CA Edge A. I know the Edge A is a high end amplifier but B&Ws need some good current to shine. You can get a 603 & the Arcam SA30 later on, it will be a lovely match if you ask me..

Cheers.

My advice is to take all the time you need to find the right speaker. Listen to as many as you can before you take a call. This process can take months. Don't ever buy anything without an audition and on instant amazement. I took an entire year to decide and that was mostly down to the fact that I was going to go shopping for everything in one go.

In my view, speakers are what define the sound. A little less so with the components in the chain. That is my personal take. I also believe the gear you have is pretty good, for the kind of music you listen to. Before you go plonk 200k or 300k on a new loudspeaker, make sure you've got everything set up right with what you have. Your Marantz amplifier is superb. I see no reason why it cannot drive a 4 ohm load when it rated to do so. On how well it would do that, well, take the amplifier and plug it into the speaker you are auditioning and then compare it to the amplifier the dealer has so you know where the short comings are, if any.

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls on the amplifier in small incremental steps to see if it makes a change to the sound? This will not correct any tone roll off issues. The idea is to compensate in some way. These controls are useful to a small degree which is why they are present. In some cases, you may have to dial things down a bit, such as bass, since you say there is plenty of it.

Of all the speakers you have listed, I can only think of Dyna Audio that will appeal and with that needs solid, expensive amplifier to make them sound good. Like I said earlier, your Marantz could well do the job but unless you try, you will not know.

I've heard some model of a Rethm and it was not my kind of speaker. The first thing I realized about them was they need space, which I did not have. In order for them to shine, you better feed them with a good source, power and a top notch recording. An Artist like Deep Purple or a terribly recorded Led Zepplin, on a Rethm is a no-go for me.

While you are auditioning all this gear with familiar music, take a modern recording along with you. Most of the Artists you listed were recorded decades ago and remastered a zillion times. It helps to have something fresh and new with you.

All the best.

+1 @sandeepmohan

@Lizard King since the investment will be substantial so please audition as many as possible before buying, even if it takes time. Listening tastes are very subjective, something that sounds warm to someone might not be warm to you or is overly warm; similarly being bright / neutral / resolving / clinical etc etc. Since you are also planning to retain your top half of the rig, so that brings in little bit more of variability. So please beg/borrow/steal speakers, connect to your rig, evaluate and then buy.

Sorry, did not want to puncture the bubble!

Thanks Sandeepmohan and Pratyush.

I definitely appreciate and agree with you.

Inspite of my exuberant tone, I'm a very conservative person when it comes to spending. I take care of my equipment and use them for long. Recently sold one of my cars after 16 years of ownership :)

Similarly my present modest rig is built over several years with audition and deliberation. I know the sound signature I like and have stuck to that even when faced with the lure of new purchases.

New equipment acquisition is like going out with a new girl. For all the excitement, you don't kiss her till 3rd date and meet her dad only after 6 months :cool:

I've been looking forward to change my speakers over 1 year, an effort which is on hold due to pandemic and subsequent loss of audition facilities. Recent extensions of lockdown make the frustration even worse.

Recently I came to note that many speakers are going for significant discounts. Maybe stock clearance or distress sales. That has spurred my sudden interest. I'm hoping to get some audition due to the grace of some forum members. Will slowly take it from there.

My sincere thanks to all the FM who reached out to help me here as well as personally. It feels really great to see how experienced members mentor new comers here with any one-upmanship, rancour, grudge or belittlement, regardless of how big or small the request of help may be.

I shall keep you posted here in this thread which way things are headed.

Thanks.

The difficult question again. But in absence of audition this is the best I can think of.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230 floor standers. Entertaining as they are, specially for the money, the are not very transparent. There is also significant treble roll off. The bass is ample, but not very agile or taut.
With the philosophy that you don't upgrade your speakers too often, I thought of taking a biggish leap.

My chain is..
1. Marantz 6005 CDP, to be changed to 8006 CDP/ streamer soon.
2. Denon DP400 TT, with AT VM540ML cartridge and Musical Fidelity LX2LPS phono stage
3. Marantz PM8006 amplifier.

Source.... about 200 CDs, 50 old but good condition vinyls, 150 new vinyls. Planning to add Spotify, but not as my primary. I listen to vinyls 70% of the time.

Listening area 16 X 24 ft. Speakers placed 9 ft apart, 1.5 ft from back wall. Listening seat 9 ft from speakers. Listening volume - neighbor friendly. Floor vitrified tiles with carpet between the speakers and listening area. Rows of sofa with cushions on both sides walls.

Musical taste...
* Classic Rock like Dire Sraits, PF, LZ, CCR, Clapton, Eagles, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rainbow, Doors, Tull etc... 60%
* Jazz... Trane, Mingus, MD, Hancock, Brubeck etc... 20%
* Classical.... mostly chamber and strings unless you consider the occasional Mahler/ Beethoven Symphony... 10%

I have been suggested
Revel Concerta2 F36 by a few knowledgeable friends. But also considering...

Dynaudio excite x34 / x38
Monitor Audio Silver 300
Focal Aria 926
Dali Opticon 6 Mk2

Also open to SF, ML etc, as long as they are within the above price range.

It should be musical, resolving without being tiring, fast and tight bass, but no need to be earth shaking.

I'm tilted towards Revel Concerta2 F36 or Dynaudio excite x34/X38. Read everywhere that X38 is power hungry. Wondering if PM8006 at with 100 wpc at 4 ohms can drive them. Revel gets equally excellent reviews from professional/ ASR/ users. But will it be too transparent for many of the not so great recordings that I hear?

What is the opinion/ advice of the wise men and women of our forum?

Thanks.
Focal is the one to go for man.
Owning a pair myself i feel nothing beats tha sound of Focal.

You may consider Monitor Audio if you usually have long listening sessions.
Monitor Audio's speakers are usually warm sounding.

The difficult question again. But in absence of audition this is the best I can think of.

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 230 floor standers. Entertaining as they are, specially for the money, the are not very transparent. There is also significant treble roll off. The bass is ample, but not very agile or taut.
With the philosophy that you don't upgrade your speakers too often, I thought of taking a biggish leap.

My chain is..
1. Marantz 6005 CDP, to be changed to 8006 CDP/ streamer soon.
2. Denon DP400 TT, with AT VM540ML cartridge and Musical Fidelity LX2LPS phono stage
3. Marantz PM8006 amplifier.

Source.... about 200 CDs, 50 old but good condition vinyls, 150 new vinyls. Planning to add Spotify, but not as my primary. I listen to vinyls 70% of the time.

Listening area 16 X 24 ft. Speakers placed 9 ft apart, 1.5 ft from back wall. Listening seat 9 ft from speakers. Listening volume - neighbor friendly. Floor vitrified tiles with carpet between the speakers and listening area. Rows of sofa with cushions on both sides walls.

Musical taste...
* Classic Rock like Dire Sraits, PF, LZ, CCR, Clapton, Eagles, Deep Purple, Sabbath, Rainbow, Doors, Tull etc... 60%
* Jazz... Trane, Mingus, MD, Hancock, Brubeck etc... 20%
* Classical.... mostly chamber and strings unless you consider the occasional Mahler/ Beethoven Symphony... 10%

I have been suggested
Revel Concerta2 F36 by a few knowledgeable friends. But also considering...

Dynaudio excite x34 / x38
Monitor Audio Silver 300
Focal Aria 926
Dali Opticon 6 Mk2

Also open to SF, ML etc, as long as they are within the above price range.

It should be musical, resolving without being tiring, fast and tight bass, but no need to be earth shaking.

I'm tilted towards Revel Concerta2 F36 or Dynaudio excite x34/X38. Read everywhere that X38 is power hungry. Wondering if PM8006 at with 100 wpc at 4 ohms can drive them. Revel gets equally excellent reviews from professional/ ASR/ users. But will it be too transparent for many of the not so great recordings that I hear?

What is the opinion/ advice of the wise men and women of our forum?

Thanks.
For your budget and genre, ATC scm 40s/40 actives or 50s will be a phonomenal acquisition, definitely a worthwhile consideration

OP has mentioned that he won't be upgrading the Amps soon, I don't think the PM6XX series can drive SCM 40s optimally other owners can correct me but they won't come for the budget OP has unless bought used. I think in the Aria 926 price bracket Klipsch Hersey IV could be another contender they are definitely well suited for Rock music. Not sure if Forte IV would come close within the budget bracket.

OP has mentioned that he won't be upgrading the Amps soon, I don't think the PM6XX series can drive SCM 40s optimally other owners can correct me but they won't come for the budget OP has unless bought used. I think in the Aria 926 price bracket Klipsch Hersey IV could be another contender they are definitely well suited for Rock music. Not sure if Forte IV would come close within the budget bracket.
It's the 8006 paired with the cdp6006 which will be upgraded to 8006 as well. The devil is in the details ;)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back