Speaker Upgrade Sideways

Not all horn loaded speakers sound the same. Try blind listening to Lyrita vs Klipsch vs Blumenhofer and you will struggle to state that all of them use horns as a common technology. My view, if the OP wants to move away from KEF/MA signature then Klipsch is not the right direction to go towards.

@avgeek,
I went through this exercise a year and a half ago. Auditioned several speakers - box, planar, electrostatic and horn. I finally selected Martin Logan ESL and agree with others that once you have heard these, you will not settle for anything else. There is a dealer in Hyderabad and I suggest you consider an audition with them. Alternatively, you are always welcome to visit my place in Pune.
On another note, there is a possibility of my going in for an upgrade, in which case I will put up my ESLs for sale. Right now I am merely thinking about it and am waiting for some funds to come my way, which may or may not happen. Just wanted you to know. In the meanwhile, do give the ESLs a listen and PM me if you like them.
Best wishes,

@avgeek,
I went through this exercise a year and a half ago. Auditioned several speakers - box, planar, electrostatic and horn. I finally selected Martin Logan ESL and agree with others that once you have heard these, you will not settle for anything else. There is a dealer in Hyderabad and I suggest you consider an audition with them. Alternatively, you are always welcome to visit my place in Pune.
On another note, there is a possibility of my going in for an upgrade, in which case I will put up my ESLs for sale. Right now I am merely thinking about it and am waiting for some funds to come my way, which may or may not happen. Just wanted you to know. In the meanwhile, do give the ESLs a listen and PM me if you like them.
Best wishes,
Please do share the dealer's details from Hyderabad, I will plan a drive down and visit on a weekend.

And yes, I will certainly hit you up if I were traveling anywhere near Pune.

ML was certainly in the consideration, in fact, my first choice, but I decided I wanted to go "easy" when trying something new in terms of sound signature. I will certainly give them an audition.

Hey guys,

I listen mostly to rock and blues, and then a smattering of all genres including the latest in indipop.

I like the sound signature of KEF and Monitor Audio.

I am looking forward to upgrading my current setup, but instead of planning on an upgrade that will give me incremental benefits, I'm looking to do a sideways upgrade that will change the "sonic structure" of my current setup (KEF and Marantz).

So I have decided to go for a speaker upgrade that will take me away from the boxed speakers that I have been listening to all of my life.

In short I have decided to go with ESL, open baffle, or horn speakers.

Among the 3, ESL is ruled out right now for massive budget allocation (I'm thinking Martin Logan). So I have decided to go with either open baffle or horn speakers.

My budget is between 1.2 to 1.5 lakhs.

Please recommend any, or if any FM is looking for an upgrade and wants to part with his existing setup, I would certainly appreciate the offer.

Thanks.
Your target for ESL is correct as at your budget only pre owned looks possible. ML models available through distri in India pricing starts at 6.3L
The cadence on sale thread looks to be a fine option for you.

Please do share the dealer's details from Hyderabad, I will plan a drive down and visit on a weekend.

And yes, I will certainly hit you up if I were traveling anywhere near Pune.

ML was certainly in the consideration, in fact, my first choice, but I decided I wanted to go "easy" when trying something new in terms of sound signature. I will certainly give them an audition.

Martin Logan:
Dealer Audio One
Mumbai
Hari Nair +919819964300
Office +912266716544
Hyderabad- Bhanu Prakash +919912189900

There MRP when I bought was around Rs.2.75 lacs on which I got a discount. There are a couple of basic models available.

Yes, a subwoofer is highly recommended with ESL to reproduce the low frequency efficiently. Infact one or two subwoofers coupled with any floorstanding speakers will produce the low frequecy much better than stand-alone floorstanding speakers.
Thanks.

I too have read about subs being recommended for use with esls and was therefore prepared to invest in a sub. But when I placed the speakers, the last thing I want is better bass. I guess it all depends on the room set up. And the newer esls like mine are hybrid types with an electrostatic panel mounted on a woofer

Before you jump on the speaker wagon, do check if your current amplifier will match it.
Also very important is to like the sound of the new dimension, don't fall into the trap of like ending up liking it.

There is no other India source and if I do a group buy, it will never be through them as they are least bothered about customers/clients...I would rather give my business to someone who has some sort of customer centricity and are responsive..Even if Audiovision is cheaper, I will not buy because if they don't believe in pre sales responses, what sort of after sales do you expect...

I emailed and used the contact form on the website asking for pricing/ availability/ possibility of audition to [email protected] last week. No reply. Is there another India source ?

ciao
gr
According to this post by fm @suresh lalwani , he mentions that Audio vision no longer stocks Magnepans for auditioning. Like Panditji said, a group buy would be a good option, as warranty will become a bigger headache even if you buy it through authorized outlet.

For the 3.7i I know for sure there will be demo
Only confirmed orders will be entertained
Sorry I meant NO DEMO FOR 3.7i
Confirmed.
I wish I had read Thru what I wrote on the forum. I apologise once again.
The high cost of shipping is putting buyers off. It's a very cheap speaker realatively , fully made in the USA. In addition the smaller models are sent home for trials and the buyer only pays if he wants to keep the speaker. These are perks allowed in USA.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back