Speakers and Receiver for a pure Music experience (within 1 lakh budget)

Sumanth_sapthaswara

Dear Music Friends,

This is my first post on this group. Look forward to good response and support from all of you.

Am not an audiophile in the technical sense of the gadgets, but am a Music lover, a musical family ....

let me elaborate ......

I am not interested (rater not particular about) in 7.1 channel Home theater experience.

My requirement is for pure Music experience, I primarily listen to Indian classical, primarily Hindustani Vocal and Instrumental, I do have some good interest in Karnatic Classic and some Western classical.

So my expectation from the audio system is render true music performance (If it can "also" deliver well on Movie experience well and good).
Someone suggested to go with Polk audio floorstanding speakers and a Harman Reciever. I have not much idea about Polk Audio and other brands. Have heard good reviews of Dannon, Yamaha and Harman receivers.

I do not care about brand names or brand images, I just want pure music delivery from the audio setup. Am in no hurry to buy either, but want to make the right choice when I do move to my new home.

My budget: I Would be happy to get a excellent audio system (speakers, receiver, mixer - to connect to up to 4 Mic) all inclusive not crossing 1 lakh.

Request all of you to give me your valuable suggestions and rationale behind the same.

I repeat an audio system for pure music experience.

Room size: about 400 sqft
Budget: 1 lakh (Speakers, Receiver, Good Mic mixer for up to 4 mic, Excluding mic)
Usage: Living room, Classical music. Occasional Indoor Music concert for small gathering of 50-60 people in a 20 x 20 living room.

Now using/managing: Bose docking station (6 yr old, decent quality)
Dont's: I hate the Samsung, Philips, Sony all-in-one types, pathetic audio quality.

PS:
1. My car has 4 Speaker + 4 tweeter Harman system, it's v very good, but bit artificial sound.
2. Have a good Yamaha keyboard.
3. I play Tabla, Harmonium, Keyboard, Have good singers in family.

Polk Audio speakers are not known for music, they are said to be very good for movies.

I think you can look at the Wharfedale tower speakers (they offer music with lot details) along with Yamaha or Denon amps.

Get the tannoy mercury v4 (I think )
Floorstanders
And a Yamaha stereo reciver
If you can accommodate a nad all the better

Mic mixer
This is pro audio
Behringer , ahuja territory
Little idea about this
You might cross the 1 lac mark by a small amount
But worth it

Dear Music Friends,

This is my first post on this group. Look forward to good response and support from all of you.

Am not an audiophile in the technical sense of the gadgets, but am a Music lover, a musical family ....

let me elaborate ......

I am not interested (rater not particular about) in 7.1 channel Home theater experience.

My requirement is for pure Music experience, I primarily listen to Indian classical, primarily Hindustani Vocal and Instrumental, I do have some good interest in Karnatic Classic and some Western classical.

So my expectation from the audio system is render true music performance (If it can "also" deliver well on Movie experience well and good).
Someone suggested to go with Polk audio floorstanding speakers and a Harman Reciever. I have not much idea about Polk Audio and other brands. Have heard good reviews of Dannon, Yamaha and Harman receivers.

I do not care about brand names or brand images, I just want pure music delivery from the audio setup. Am in no hurry to buy either, but want to make the right choice when I do move to my new home.

My budget: I Would be happy to get a excellent audio system (speakers, receiver, mixer - to connect to up to 4 Mic) all inclusive not crossing 1 lakh.

Request all of you to give me your valuable suggestions and rationale behind the same.

Budget: 1 lakh (Speakers, Receiver, Good Mic mixer for up to 4 mic, Excluding mic)
Usage: Living room, Classical music. Occasional Indoor Music concert for small gathering of 50-60 people in a 20 x 20 living room.

Dont's: I hate the Samsung, Philips, Sony all-in-one types, pathetic audio quality.

PS:
1. My car has 4 Speaker + 4 tweeter Harman system, it's v very good, but bit artificial sound.

marantz pm 6005 amplifier
wharfedale diamond 220
marantz cd 5005
if you can get these i highly recommend
q accoustics concept 20
both the marantz amplifier and wharfedale 220 speakers are both winners of several audio awards and are well known in this forum,q accoustic concept 20 is an engineering marvel and is one of the best bookshelf speaker under 50k available right now.I suggest you go for bookshelf speakers for under 1 lakh,budget floorstanders come at the cost of some sacrifices in audio quality,what i recommended is purely for music.

Last edited:
Thanks sanloyn, magma, krishtrinity

Suppose I do no limit to 1 lakh budget,

Which would you recommend among "wharfedale diamond 250" & "B&W 683 S2" ?

What are their prices in India (pair) ?

Dear Music Friends,

let me elaborate ......

PS:

Everyone is talking about non-Indian company :(.
I will suggest you to audition Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 .. Floorstanding with their own DAC+Integrated Amp DSA 320. Both will cost you around 65K.

Just before finalizing, please do audition these once, who knows you will feel these combo is better than other expensive combos & you will save a lot of money :D.

Do audition all the speakers suggested and see what pleases you.

I see that you are in Bangalore. Since you are keen on playing Hindustani Classical, please check out the listening room of an Indian company Acoustic Portrait. The owner is a big fan of that genre and his equipment is supposed to have been designed to play that genre very well.

It may well be your last audition for all you know.

Last edited:
Thanks sanloyn, magma, krishtrinity

Suppose I do no limit to 1 lakh budget,

Which would you recommend among "wharfedale diamond 250" & "B&W 683 S2" ?

What are their prices in India (pair) ?
Only your ears could tell,try to audition all of those speakers and bargain for the prices.I highly recommend Marantz 6005 amplifier

Last edited:
Everyone is talking about non-Indian company :(.
I will suggest you to audition Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 .. Floorstanding with their own DAC+Integrated Amp DSA 320. Both will cost you around 65K.

Just before finalizing, please do audition these once, who knows you will feel these combo is better than other expensive combos & you will save a lot of money :D.

Thank you so much. Did hear about Sonodyne, though all hifi brands are new to me of sorts. Will check it our myself for sure. I have an ear for music, so I kind of know how it should sound (for me at least), will test them out.

Thanks again.

Do audition all the speakers suggested and see what pleases you.

I see that you are in Bangalore. Since you are keen on playing Hindustani Classical, please check out the listening room of an Indian company Acoustic Portrait. It may well be your last audition.

Thanks for reference to "Acoustic Portrait". I mailed them just now, looking forward to auditioning their equipment!

Thanks a ton again.

there was a DiY transmission line speaker in bangalore for sale by a forum member ( check it out in the for sale section ). ( FM jayant ??? )

there is also a dali ikon6 mk2 for sale on hifiads.com

there is also a pre-sonus eris in bangalore for sale - see for sale section

Proac 140 in bangalore - thats supposed to be a nice one.

invest in a good speaker and do it step by step.

and remember - try before you buy.

B&W 683 - needs a powerful amp - hear it though but dont decide immediately.

exhaust other options in bangalore

contact ARN systems and TLR ( Jochen Semler ) and get a taste of what real good sound system in a well treated room can do. Hopefully they will arrange an audition for a genuine buyer.

go for a more powerful amplifier than the 6005 - your room size is similar to mine.

your budget - may exceed - but if music is in your DNA - then you might need a rig that reproduces music very very well.

regards

Edit:
yes - Acoustic Portrait - will be good to check out too..

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are purely dedicated towards music go for Marantz receiver. NAD & Anthem receivers is having very good reviews and user experiences (Self have not personally heard of them).You can try KEF or Dali Zensor or Dali ikon speakers to have very good music experiences ,but the budget indicated will definitively cross.
Since the room size is 400 sqft you will require powerful receivers or amplifiers .Some experts can throw some light on this.
Be patient and do some good audition with different combination of speakers and recievers and decide based on your hearing taste.

Everyone is talking about non-Indian company<snip>I will suggest you to audition Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3. Just before finalizing, please do audition these once, who knows you will feel these combo is better than other expensive combos & you will save a lot of money :D.

BTDT as in I have owned them

ciao
gr

there was a DiY transmission line speaker in bangalore for sale by a forum member ( check it out in the for sale section ). ( FM jayant ??? )

there is also a dali ikon6 mk2 for sale on hifiads.com

there is also a pre-sonus eris in bangalore for sale - see for sale section

Proac 140 in bangalore - thats supposed to be a nice one.

invest in a good speaker and do it step by step.

and remember - try before you buy.

B&W 683 - needs a powerful amp - hear it though but dont decide immediately.

exhaust other options in bangalore

contact ARN systems and TLR ( Jochen Semler ) and get a taste of what real good sound system in a well treated room can do. Hopefully they will arrange an audition for a genuine buyer.

go for a more powerful amplifier than the 6005 - your room size is similar to mine.

your budget - may exceed - but if music is in your DNA - then you might need a rig that reproduces music very very well.

regards

Edit:
yes - Acoustic Portrait - will be good to check out too..

Have you heard Sonodyne Sonus 2605 with PM6005 / Sonodyne SIA 320 AMP ?

BTDT as in I have owned them

ciao
gr

Sonus 2605 ? or DSA 320 ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for reply, I can see you are using Zensar 5.
According to your ears, how much difference you are able to hear between Zensar 5 & Sonus 2605. With respect to ears only.

:rolleyes:

Let's put it this way, I am now listening to music and enjoying it.

ciao
gr

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back