Speakers for Denon 1911

prasdesh

All the gurus

This is the setup I am planning for my HT.
Denon AVR-1911: Already have this.

Fronts:
GamuT Dana 1525: Auditioned these with 1911 and really love the sound stage created.
Frequency response: 58-22000Hz
Load Impedance: 4 ohms nominal, minimum 3.2 Ohms at 220Hz
Sensitivity: 86.5dB/2.83V
:confused: I am a little concerned here since that would mean more load on the amp. Is this correct? :confused:
Also could not find a review on net. :sad:

Subwoofer:
Please help me here. Based on the room size my guess is 10" or 12" driver is needed.
Can't use a down firing one since I am on 3rd floor of the building.

Centre:
Focal Chorus CC 700 V
Frequency response : 61Hz - 28kHz
Sensitivity : 91dB
Nominal impedance : 8 Ohms
Crossover frequency : 3 KHz
More research and decisions :annoyed:

Surround:
Polk Audio FXi A6
Frequency : 55Hz-26kHz
Sensitivity : 88dB

My usage is evenly split across movies, music and gaming (PS3)
I would prefer to spend about 60K on 2.1 and 40K on Centre+Surrounds.
The room size is about 400 sq. ft. and a bit oddly shaped but Multi EQ would be able to handle that.

For 2.1 your budget is 60K but you have not specified how much you want to spend on subs. Nevertheless you can look for Velodyne Impact series that starts from 25K.. check out the specs here The Home Theater Store. These are front firing like you need.

Load Impedance: 4 ohms nominal, minimum 3.2 Ohms at 220Hz
Sensitivity: 86.5dB/2.83V
:confused: I am a little concerned here since that would mean more load on the amp. Is this correct? :confused:

Yes. 4 ohms speakers will draw more current or load. Sometimes it can even damage the amp. Be sure not to play at very high volumes to reduce current. I think denon 1911 needs 6ohm or above speakers.

For 2.1 your budget is 60K but you have not specified how much you want to spend on subs. Nevertheless you can look for Velodyne Impact series that starts from 25K.. check out the specs here The Home Theater Store. These are front firing like you need.

That depends on the low end handling of the fronts. All I am looking for is balance across the range. With weak fronts and power house sub won't create the soundstage. All that said 25k on sub and 35 on front should be a decent split +/- 3k maybe.

@canci

The paradigms are floorstanders. I'd love to have those but because of the space and location constraint :sad: I have to go for bookshelfs or satellites.
Bookshelf is better option within the budget as satellite with same quality would cost more.
I'll check on the cc190 and adp190. Thanks!

Yes. 4 ohms speakers will draw more current or load. Sometimes it can even damage the amp. Be sure not to play at very high volumes to reduce current. I think denon 1911 needs 6ohm or above speakers.
and I see that the center channel speaker is 8 ohm. Its not recommended to mix different ohm speakers. Either stick with 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

and I see that the center channel speaker is 8 ohm. Its not recommended to mix different ohm speakers. Either stick with 4 ohm or 8 ohm.

How would that make difference? The speaker impedance is only for reference and measured at 1KHz and 1W. It changes drastically with frequency
Speaker 1:
4 ohm speaker with 3.4 ohm to 6.8 ohm as operating range.
Speaker 2:
8 ohm speaker with 3.8 ohm to 10 ohm as operating range.

In this case speaker 1 is much better choice would be easier on the amp.

Typical plot for mid-range driver
File:Speaker impedance.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now the real question is if it's ok to have Speaker 1 and centre and speaker 2 as front?
Based on the specs provided by speaker manufacturers it would be very hard to answer since most speaker don't have min and max impedance not listed.

Back