Speakers for my Second System

Asit

Hi all,

A very happy new year to all of you. On the new year's day, I went shopping for speakers for my second system (probably to be kept in the bedroom).

Some of you may know that I have a Harman Kardon HK6300 amp (bought in 1989), a Denon DCD-920 CDP (also bought in 1989) and an Onkyo single cassette deck (bought some time around 2005 I believe) and a few other perfectly working equipments just lying around and collecting dust. For a long time, I was thinking about getting a pair of low-cost speakers so that I have a second system up and running.

My budget was about 20 K. I read psychotropic's and magma's long threads for speakers at this price range. I also talked to magma over the phone for his views. I did not want to make too much fuss over this, and also did not want to run from pillars to post for the absolute best speakers possible around my budget; some thing just good enough to live with (obviously I always have the main system). In addition, these also needed to be some speakers which would not care for a lot of careful set-ups etc.

Hence I decided to go to SKS Traders which would have a reasonable choice of 3-4 speakers around this budget. Ideally I also would have liked to have heard some of the PSB's, KEF iQ30 (or its new avatar) and the Usher S520 to be extensive. But I said to my self: okay, let's go to SKS, and see if I like something I can live with. Otherwise, I can try to go to the other places for the other speakers.

So, on Jan 1, I arrived at SKS Traders with my 21 year old HK6300 amp. I was not even sure if this amp would function properly, because this was idle for the last year and a half, and more or less idle for the last almost 4 years.

I listened to 4 speakers: Wharfedale 10.1, Dali Lektor 1, Quad 11L2 and Dali Lektor 2 (I was supposed to hear one more, the Mordaunt Short Aviano 1, ultimately I didn't).

CDP used was CA 540c ( I deliberately asked for a budget range CDP). CDP to amp IC was Audio Art IC3 (mine) and some Norstone speaker cables (used as bare wires without termination).

I of course brought along about 10 of my redbook CDs (usual ones for auditions, but this time I had more vocals, because in the bedroom I am more likely to hear more vocals, so that was a personal choice).

My brief impression:

Wharfedale 10.1: I listened to them for longest time (probably because I really wanted to like them, because they are under 15K or so). Overall impression was one of disappointment. It could be that I have not really heard any low-cost speakers for long. The problem was lack of clarity, especially when with tricky CDs and when I needed to put the volume up just a bit. Very small, almost toy like appearance.

Dali Lektor 1: These were a lot cleaner, although produced slightly less excitement than the Wharfies. The sales person said they had been used only for a few hours and needed a lot more breaking in. However to me, the sound was a bit muted. Definitely less dynamics than the 10.1 but a lot cleaner. I decided these were not for me. These were also very small, if the not the smallest of the lot with only 4" drivers. I needed a bigger sound (bigger sound does not necessarily mean louder, to me it means less-compressed and hence more open and full-bodied sound, with a decent soundstage).

Quad 11L2: They sounded like real speakers to me (of course I have heard them before, but with other amps). Soundstage was much wider, dynamics and extension of notes were all much much better. They also looked absolutely brilliant. There are a few points to remember about these speakers. With the right speaker choice they could be very good, however with many of the budget range amps they may sound a bit bright. They also need careful placements, on a good stand and space around them (they are rear ported). I certainly liked them for the price and they were good matches for my very old HK amp, however, I was not sure I could provide them with the care they needed to be at their best. In addition, I felt they were not the cleanest sounding speakers at this price.

Dali Lektor 2: These were opened from the wooden crate right in front of me, and hence I was a bit unsure how would they sound straight out of the box. However, they had almost all the qualities I like in a speaker, however, at a much reduced level than ideal because of its price around 25K. Tonality was quite acceptable, the cleanest sounding speaker in the lot, dynamics was good for the size, and a certain fluidity of the sound. They also sounded more open than the Lektor 1's. They are just a bit bigger than the Lektor 1's, but still quite tiny. And according to Dali, they are not fussy about placement. In Bhaskie's thread more than a year ago, RoC and square_wave commented that these are bright speakers. I wonder if that is general observation of Dali speakers (below the Helicon line) or based on actual audition. With my amp (which is very lively, transparent and does not shy off the freq extremes) they did NOT sound bright at all. I called up magma from the store to confirm, and he agreed with me.

So I decided that the Lektor 2's are the speakers for my second (bedroom) system, speakers I could perhaps live with. I added the 'perhaps' because I can fully evaluate them only after they burn in fully, which is about 100 hours later (according to Dali).

At home, I have temporarily set them up on our 8-seater dining table because that table is actually not used very much (unless guests come). I know I cannot keep them there, because my wife is already complaining. When I was unpacking at home, both my wife and son were skeptic about such small speakers (remember they are used to seeing the huge speakers at home), but after listening to them they now have some respect for these, I guess.

BTW, I also heard the Creek Destiny and the Sugden A21a series 2 amps at SKS. In my opinion these must be some of the best amps around the 1L mark. Destiny I never heard before, lovely and lively amp with a clean tone. Sugden is very smooth and very rich. My 21 old HK amp was not at all dwarfed in front of these, although we did not do a direct comparison. SKS people commented that it's very hard to get such solid construction these days, and for the performance, my very old amp is still capable of, it matches with modern amps costing at least 80K. This was also my conclusion about my old amp in my amp thread. It can deliver upto 38A of current. I hope it lasts a few more years and gives us joy along with the Lektor 2's.

Regards.

...I also heard the Creek Destiny and the Sugden A21a series 2 amps at SKS. In my opinion these must be some of the best amps around the 1L mark. Destiny I never heard before, lovely and lively amp with a clean tone. Sugden is very smooth and very rich. ....

despite my respect for the Lebens, sugden has a magic about it which was amazing.. I wish i kept my a21a and my olderJMR twin speakers just to use as a secondary setup.. but unfortunatelyhave no space for a 2nd system :(

I have liked the Dali,the little I have heard them, across their range they have some really good speakers. I am not sure if Spendor has a model in that range...but if you can do listen to them as well.

great review!...have fun with the new dali's!..so how much does the dali 1 & 2 cost there in kolkata?

Congrats Asitji for the new speakers

What will you use as source for this system?

Thanks arj, vinod_david, metalmickey and rikhav for your encuragement, comments and queries.

arj, I liked both the Creek Destiny and the Sugden pure class A amps, as I wrote in my initial post. I do not know why we do not talk more about them. Both are fantastic amps. The Destiny will be loved by people who like the PRaT thing, and the Sugden is very much about fluidity and tone. They would better some of the pre-power combo costing a bit more than these amps.

metamickey, the MRPs of the Lektor 1 and 2 are respectively 22K and 28K. If you bargain hard, 2K or so will be knocked off. I know Kolkata prices of all electronics are a bit on the higher side, mainly because there is no competition. Now do not break my heart by saying that the Lektor 2 is available in Mumbai for 23K :).

rikhav, for the moment the sources for the second system would be my 21 year old Denon DCD-920 CDP and the 5 year old Onkyo single cassette deck. I was a bit concerned about the CDP because those were the early days for CDPs and jitter was not very well controlled in general those days. But after hearing the combination at home, I cannot say I am unhappy. The sound is not compressed (as may happen with some poor digital sources) and actually quite open. If I get a new TT someday, then my old Dual CS 5000 TT would also serve as another source. In addition, I have also a perfectly working Kenwood GE5020 7x2 band stereo graphic equalizer (also very old) which I use for listening to very old recordings. This will probably also be hooked up in due course.

Regards.

ive heard the sugden 21
lovely amp

its just that once youre playing in that range there are many options(especially people prefer to look at other classes of amplification especially here in India)
sugden isint exactly budget

ive heard the lektors with an exposure amp
they sounded lovely
ofcourse i also heard the helicons which was mind blowing
but at the lektor 2's price point there arent many speakers i like other than a kef or a PSB

good choice
glad you didnt get the lektor1

Last edited:
Asitda,

Nice review from an experienced audiophile. I wish you also heard PSB, KEF & Ushers; would've loved to know what you had to say.

Congrats on the purchase.

Rgds

Rajesh

Ali (magma) and Captain,
Thanks for the support and encouragement. Yes, I'd have loved to hear the PSB's, the KEF and the Usher. The budget PSB's are loved by Vortex and Ali. The KEF iQ30 is also praised by Ali and one other very experienced friend of mine whose ears are similar to mine. The new KEF Q300 is similar, and has a rich midrange. IMO, the KEF series gets a bit messed up with their floorstanders, i.e., starting from the iQ50 (my opinion only). The Usher S520 is simply loved by psychotropic and some others. However, as I said in my initial post, I did not want to put a lot of effort to find the absolute best speaker upto a budget of approx 25K. I just needed something that are good enough. I also have read in our forum that Sridhar (Odyssey) actually compared the Lektor 2 to the S520 in presence of a customer and concluded in favor of the S520 because of its midrange, because the customer had preference for Indian classical music. So my decision to get the Lektor 2 is not necessarily because it's the best in this price range. But surely it's a reasonable one in my opinion. I also needed to get something quickly, because in my case with the very old electronics, I did not want them to stay idle for any longer, because with every passing day with the amp and the CDP not being used, there is a chance that at least some of the mechanical parts (like the CDP tray open/close mechanism, the volume and other knobs of the amp etc) would get worse. In addition, these days, I have become so busy with work, any long term extensive auditioning is out of the question. Hence I had to take a practical and reasonable decision, instead of the best decision perhaps. Let us just hope that it turns out to be a good enough pairing.

Regards.

Note added later: Sridhar, if you are reading this, would you be kind enough to put down the salient features of the comparison you made between the S520 and the Lektor 2 (I am not quite sure where exactly you wrote about this in our forum, but I remember you did). You do not have to be diplomatic, and please also mention the accompanying equipments. Do not worry for my sentiments. We all know people's preferences and tastes differ and there cannot be a simple winner and loser in this business.

Last edited:
Congrats Asit on your new purchase,
The Dali surely looks very compact and seems easy to place. I once used a Dali entry level floor stander for some time ( concept series) and the treble/ midrange sounded nice and airy. Enjoy.
Nice to hear about the Sugden. I haven't as yet heard a pure Class A amp (not many are available for audition) and always has the feeling that my amplifier journey may end with one (considering my taste ). Its just that their watts/cost ratio is very high.
Cheers
Himadri

Last edited:
Sridhar,
Thanks for that link. I'd call it more or less even between the speakers, based on your brief comparison. The mids/vocal is quite acceptable on the Lektor 2 at this point. After the break-in and trying with different ICs may make the mid even smoother. Perhaps the Usher will still remain better in the mids/vocals. I am in no position to contest that, because I have never heard the S520s.

Himadri,
Thanks. Class A is able to produce a very smooth sound, probably because of the power reserves. The per-Watt cost is high because the power supply section is a serious investment in a class A. However, a 25 Watter class A like the Sugden is able to drive a few difficult loads.

As you very well know, it's not about numbers. That's why you would not find any discussion of speaker sensitivity in my initial post. My HK is only 60Watts at 8 Ohm (I do not think it's a class A, may be for initial 5-10 Watts, the transformer is really heavy) and the Lektors I have are only at 85 db/m/W and nominal impedance is 6 Ohms. But so far I have not been able to cross the 10:30 O'clock on the volume knob, for a quite loud sound clearly audible from any part of our 2000 sqft apartment.

Regards.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back