want to know does speakers grill cover have any effect on sound quality

i want to remove it coz my speakers look great without grill clothes

so please reply

Last edited:
Manu:

Please note this.

Grills - Window grill, Door grill, etc.
Grilles - Speakers.

Yes, IMO, grilles do make difference in SQ. If the speakers are bright, forward sounding, these grilles do tend to tame the harshness to some extent, and yes i have noticed this in my speakers (MA RS6) with/without grilles.

Regarding cleaning, I use a soft cloth to dust the cones (very gentle) and the tweeter are grilled so can't reach them. There might be some right method to clean the cones, others might suggest i think.

Last edited:
Manu:

Please note this.

Grills - Window grill, Door grill, etc.
Grilles - Speakers.

Yes, IMO, grilles do make difference in SQ. If the speakers are bright, forward sounding, these grilles do tend to tame the harshness to some extent, and yes i have noticed this in my speakers (MA RS6) with/without grilles.

Regarding cleaning, I use a soft cloth to dust the cones (very gentle) and the tweeter are grilled so can't reach them. There might be some right method to clean the cones, others might suggest i think.

thanks for grilles :D

i have a bigger problem. my speakers are open baffle. i need to clean back side of the cone as well.how should i do that???:confused:

Grille covers do affect sound quality and for serious listening they are taken of. All my speakers have been built without grills. I don't have any kids around the house who might poke the drivers though:yahoo:

Hi guys,

My speakers have metal grilles and they do not seem to have a noticeable effect on the sound. I actually wash them with water and soap occasionally (after obviously removing them from the speakers), dry them and then put them back. But I do not know if that would be okay with other kind of grilles, especially soft ones should not be cleaned that way, quite sure.

I have heard many speakers for which it makes variable amount of difference to the sound with the grilles on and off.

Regards.

Hai all,

I think vacuum clean / blowing air is one method, the grills can be cleaned off fine dust.

N Murali.

today i just try grilles off and grilles on

i can say when grilles off speakers sounds crisp than grilles on

i don't know about anyone but i have heard difference

Yes Manu
Most speakers sound better with Grilles off. But looks wise do you know that speakers look more yummy with Chicken Grills placed in front? :D

Grills are better for the stomach on the whole ... :)

Cheers

Grille covers do affect sound quality and for serious listening they are taken of. All my speakers have been built without grills. I don't have any kids around the house who might poke the drivers though:yahoo:

you are lucky. i have 2 kids but i still have not designed the grills. with kids around, i think grills are useless as they have weapons like pencils , pens,spoons etc. the grills which protect speakers from these weapons will definitely affect SQ.
my speakers need armors rather than fancy clothes.:sad:

you are lucky. i have 2 kids but i still have not designed the grills. with kids around, i think grills are useless as they have weapons like pencils , pens,spoons etc. the grills which protect speakers from these weapons will definitely affect SQ.
my speakers need armors rather than fancy clothes.:sad:

:p i understand you plight man - my daughter is just 7 months and she has taken a penchant for my surround speaker stands - if and when her attentions shifts to my hi-fi setup and components, i am in for trouble I guess.:eek:

:p i understand you plight man - my daughter is just 7 months and she has taken a penchant for my surround speaker stands - if and when her attentions shifts to my hi-fi setup and components, i am in for trouble I guess.:eek:

Suprateep, if you have not already, please read the thread http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3736-child-proofing-speakers.html. just for fun if not for anything else. You can also read post #39 to see if that method is applicable or is it too late.

Regards.

Suprateep, if you have not already, please read the thread http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/3736-child-proofing-speakers.html. just for fun if not for anything else. You can also read post #39 to see if that method is applicable or is it too late.

Regards.

i remember this thread:licklips: thanks. I have noticed that my baby takes a keen interest in my stuff and my psp and and remote (s) are to name a few. But gradual involvement with the remote has left her uninterested actually. She does like music actually - only time she sits still - with the TV on though her antics start.

Lets see if your strategy works in my case......only time will tell.

Suprateep and Jaudere

Good luck to you guys!

I might have similar trouble heading my way, over the next 3-4 years with grandchildren though!

George

Diffraction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - this is generic for all waves
Diffraction of Sound - this is in particular for sound waves

Though I am not sure how relevant these are in this grilles case, because the high freq say 15kHz will have wavelength around 2 cm.
And for diffraction to be effective, the diffraction grating, or the openings should be in similar order of magnitude as the wavelength.

However, most of our grilles have very small perforations, in order of 1/10 mm

Last edited:
Back