Speakers - Made in

nivedhya

Now a days almost all electronics including speakers are Made in China. The Motherland for speakers are canada,Italy,UK,Germany. All the famous brands like klipsch etc., available for sale in India are from China. How do the parent company ensure quality? But very high end they make at their motherland only. Why such parity? Does it mean there is compromise/variation in Quality?Are we getting good Quality brand worthy speakers or instead we can go in for local Indian coil wound speakers?Do we get justification for cost spent for the brand?

who says china cant give you quality

where do you think your iphone is made ?

B&W too has taken their entire operations to china
except for the Nautilus now
They have their own factory
their own british quality control staff for whome theyve setup a gated housing colony bars and atmosphere similar to what they are used to

NOt only have they settled their staff but also their families

ofcourse
the converse is also true with many chinese companies flourishing piggyback
You need to look into the company before you buy into it
like a stock no /?

it also allows a small startup
to get their cabinets made in china without having to open up a factory themselves

in short
good stuff can be made in china too
good stuff can definetely be made in INDIA as well

The Motherland for speakers are canada,Italy,UK,Germany

You missed Denmark. Danish drivers are also legendary.

Made in China does not mean poor quality by default. Products of international brands manufactured in China are done with manufacturing and quality standards, exactly the same as then the products were manufactured in the western world. If you choose to buy Chinese brands (especially those unknown), you would need to be ready to risk quality issues. Having said that, some Chinese products like Yakin, etc are also well made.

SHanling
is actually the best sounding chinese hi end and mid fi gear

I have in the last 6 years been a prolific collector, user, repairer and seller of audio equipment. I have had lots of vintage speakers as well as lots of 90's and 00 high end.

My motto is - If I can lift it by myself, I dont want it. Anyway, some random examples - altec VOTT 1203's, EV sp12b's, HPM100's, B&W 802's etc.

Of late, I am basically not motivated by speaker cabinets that are made of particle board. That basically covers everything made after maybe 1980, and 80" of pre 80's. Altec VOTT's are plywood, but are painted grey, my EV's are a kit made at home, I have a few more altec and ev's that are home made ply wood too.

I plan on selling/trading/gutting/parting any non wood/plywood speaker I got in the next few years. Including the 802 I got now as well as the PCS8+FCM8 B&W combo - what I consider to be the best speakers in the location I have had them in. I plan on making a wood face, plywood body speaker, 801 woofer, 2 dynaudio soft domes for mid and tweeter.
I am used to having a carpenter come over to my house in india to make anything we needed. Table, bed, chairs - unless of course we inherited it. I just have to be my own carpenter now.

BTW 801/802 cabinets are made of the worst material you can find. Not MDF they're particle board. They disintegrate if you rub your fingers on the non veneered side. The drivers are phenomenal, the XO is more complicated than I like, the covers are awesome, even better if you replace the stock cloth with stretchy spandex, but the cabinets are awful.

Cool.
Srinath.

Aesthetically, CD players are repulsive.

Yes, aesthetics are subjective but Shanling (and many other Chinese high-end audio OEMs) make some serious gears nowadays. Check out Shanling's CDP lineup here.

And here is the index page for all things Chinese high-end.

I plan on making a wood face, plywood body speaker, 801 woofer, 2 dynaudio soft domes for mid and tweeter.
I am used to having a carpenter come over to my house in india to make anything we needed. Table, bed, chairs - unless of course we inherited it. I just have to be my own carpenter now
Cool.
Srinath.

Looking forward to see the details on a dedicated thread. Why plywood and not MDF speaker body? I would like to know the advantages of Plywood over MDF.

Now a days almost all electronics including speakers are Made in China.

And seems like they are a step ahead of us in this field.

Yes, aesthetics are subjective but Shanling (and many other Chinese high-end audio OEMs) make some serious gears nowadays. Check out Shanling's CDP lineup here.

And here is the index page for all things Chinese high-end.

No doubt about their ability to make basic stuff to hifi with a vfm factor never seen before. Shanling CDP mentioned in the link (lampizator) I provided in my previous post says it's tube section is a joke and the cd transport is a fake one.

Very true that they make some serious Hifi gear. The speakers shown in the link are well made. Swans Speaker Systems - Speaker Systems

The link you provided has some nice gear. I like the look of this product in the link you supplied PSD-350 Stereo Power Amplifier

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to see the details on a dedicated thread. Why plywood and not MDF speaker body? I would like to know the advantages of Plywood over MDF.

MDF is almost the same price as plywood. Finished birch plywood is 30% more. But I need 1 sheet for an 801 clone, and MDF needs vinyl wood grain or veneer over it. Add it up and it shoots past the cost of plywood.

On the plus side - MDF is heavier, and more acoustically dead.
But I will put so much wood as bracing in it it will be too heavy with MDF. Plywood can just be used without any finish coat, or I can coat it with any stain I like - and that's all I need to do.

The face has to be wood, I plan to cut a horn guide in it, MDF or plywood wont work in that location. MDF will be too weak where I have to use screws to bolt the tweeters, and plywood will be layered, and look stupid. I am toying with the idea of using hardwood for the face. I'll put pics as I get closer to it.
Cool.
Srinath.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back