Speakers suggestion - I am very sensitive to harsh and shreeky

Mohitmewani86

Hello All,

I am back to forums after almost 10 years, was previous into car audio forums & now after 10 years back to trying to listen to some quality sound. All these years I had been using ready 5.1 sets from Sony & LG which pleased my hear and lately got into the mood to buy some more detailed setup but i realized that most of the demo's I did i found the sound to be very shreeky & haarsh so i assume I am very sensitive towards these sound. I am looking for some help here in suggesting speakers which are good to hear at high volumes & do not hurt your hear much. Prefer mid and lows more along with some brightness in the sound

Some details :

Listening area - around 200 sq feet
Distance to TV and L&R & Center Speakers - 7-8 feet from the Sofa set
Total room size is 10 feet x 20 feet
Current Amplifier already bought - Yamaha RX V581 7.2 Amp
Budget for a 5.1 speaker set - Rs. 50,000 max
Listening - 70% Music & 30% Movies
Music listening - Loud volume parties club number, bollywood, EDM & at times Ghazals & Soft music

Demo's done for

Polk Audio Fusion T 5.1 - Liked the sound to an extend but still little shreky and harsh
Morel Primo 5.1 Satellite - Very good at medium volumes but disaster on high volume
TAGA Towers priced at 46k for 5.1 setup (Viola didn't give me the proper model number) - Again decent sound but not very impressed at high volume
TANNOY TFX 5.1 - I like the sound, very good even at high volume & good punch from the subwoofer but i am forced to believe that Satellites don't do justice to music listeners and i am more into listening music
DALI Zensor 7 only towers - Liked the sounds but again at high volume shreky to hears

Please suggest is satellite a completely wrong option for loud and party music?

Please give your suggestions on what I should demo and where in Mumbai could I go for the same?

May be I am being tough in choosing speakers but I believe that till something doesn't feel good I don't want to push myself to buy them

Would really appreciate if friend here could suggest some good options in 5.1 with less shreky & more punchy bass effect. Appreciate your help & waiting to hear back soon

Regards,
Mohit :)

Hello All,

Current Amplifier already bought - Yamaha RX V581 7.2 Amp
Budget for a 5.1 speaker set - Rs. 50,000 max

Regards,
Mohit :)

Did you demo the speakers with this amp? Yamaha is slightly on the lively side. So yes highs will be slightly more pronounced. Try a Marantz or a Denon while demo. Also, take a look at Wharfedale speakers. Wharfedale are one the most un shrilly speakers I have heard.

MaSh

I am not using my amplifier yet, I am auditioning on different amps as per the demo setup. Will make sure to keep that in mind.

Wharfedale where can I go for Demo? Please suggest :)

Which city are you in?
In mumbai its designer audio at Tardeo Ac market for Wharfedale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not using my amplifier yet, I am auditioning on different amps as per the demo setup. Will make sure to keep that in mind.

Wharfedale where can I go for Demo? Please suggest :)

Try to demo with your own amp as far as possible. That will give you the clearest idea of how the speakers would sound in your home.

MaSh

@Mash thank you for the suggestions will try and carry my amplifiers for the demo

@Nindo will visit them. Thank you

@Mandeep - Thanks. Where can I demo the SVS?

@Aanuj - Thanks. Where can I demo them... Mission, Queen Acoustics & KEF

If you are looking for high loud volumes, then 5.1 setup is a wrong approach. Also satellites will not do the job. Better look for a 2.0 or 2.1 speaker setup paired with an stereo amp (for 30% movies watching, this setup should suffice)
Most of the BS & FS will get harsh as you pump up the volume. You can look for a FS along with a sealed sub which I think will not sound harsh, coz high volumes and party club numbers are mostly about having a deep bass. Well this is my take and I might be wrong, you must audition to prove yourself right or wrong.

70% music, Loud volume parties club number, 5.1 with less shreky & more punchy bass effect

Please suggest is satellite a completely wrong option for loud and party music?

but i am forced to believe that Satellites don't do justice to music listeners and i am more into listening music

Some pointers that you mentioned here, it gets tricky to suggest...

If you like more bass, think you need to get the subwoofer.. Probably 2 of them..

Satellite and 2 x sub combo, might just work for both movies/music per your needs..

@Sanloyn - Already invested in 7.2 amplifier so would prefer a 5.1 setup solves both the purposes.

Last edited:
Some pointers that you mentioned here, it gets tricky to suggest...

If you like more bass, think you need to get the subwoofer.. Probably 2 of them..

Satellite and 2 x sub combo, might just work for both movies/music per your needs..

I had a similar thought let's see what does the work will start auditioning again & see couple of brands

As suggested by all I will get more Demos on Wharfedale

Hi

Audition with the same kind of music and preferably with the same brand of amp / avr as then you will know if the speakers sound good.

If the Amp / AVR used is a Marantz then the sound signature is somewhat comparable (Marantz is warmer and Yamaha in some cases is bright).

Shortlist and decide......also a lot of ads in For Sale by Owner / HifiAds.com ...don't miss out on those good reasonable deals.....

Hi

Audition with the same kind of music and preferably with the same brand of amp / avr as then you will know if the speakers sound good.

If the Amp / AVR used is a Marantz then the sound signature is somewhat comparable (Marantz is warmer and Yamaha in some cases is bright).

Shortlist and decide......also a lot of ads in For Sale by Owner / HifiAds.com ...don't miss out on those good reasonable deals.....

Hey thanks! Spoke to the DEN guy he has me to come in with my amplifier and spend a couple of hours and demo few brands, he keeps wharfedale, paradigm, Dali & few more. Lets hope I am able to conclude something by the next week.

Also I have been watching the Sale By Owner section buttrakhand few good things get sold before I even get there :eek:hyeah:

I would strongly recommend the Mission Mx series, great bang for the buck and serves your purpose of not being too bright. Since you already have a Yamaha AVR, you should look at the Wharfdale diamond series too which are definitely on the warmer side.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back