Speed of Philips AF 834

Shubhadip

Hello All,

Recently I purchased an old turntable which is Philips AF 834. I have changed the needle to Classic 700 and also changed the belt of the turntable. However, the problem is I can change the speed of 45 RPM records but the speed of 33 RPM is coming slow. It seems that the speed can't be controlled and I am at a loss what to do. Any suggestions or any help is welcome. Thanks

Hello All,

Recently I purchased an old turntable which is Philips AF 834. I have changed the needle to Classic 700 and also changed the belt of the turntable. However, the problem is I can change the speed of 45 RPM records but the speed of 33 RPM is coming slow. It seems that the speed can't be controlled and I am at a loss what to do. Any suggestions or any help is welcome. Thanks
I am not familiar with the Philips AF834 but many years ago, I came across the Philips AF877 with the same problem with 33rpm dragging (this was many years ago and if I remember correctly, it was running at some 28 or 29 rpm). I had opened it up and it had a speed control board which had 2 PCB mounted preset potentiometers, one each for 33 rpm and for 45 rpm. These presets were actually used for calibrating the center point of the 33 and 45 external user pitch controls on the turntable. I cleaned up both presets and recalibrated them so as to achieve accurate speed for both 33 1/3 and 45 rpm speeds at the center point of the user pitch controls. Then I noticed there was some wow and flutter on the 33 1/3 speed and traced it down to a faulty electrolytic. After recapping the entire speed control, the turntable worked like a charm.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back