Spotify vs Audio CD

Vivek Batra

Hi FMs

My main audio source for my stereo system is Spotify premium account. As they say its very high quality audio files. To test that, I played the same track on the Spotify (using Spotify connect on my Denon AVR so no connection between laptop and AVR) vs audio CD on the laptop (via hdmi). I could not make out any difference between the audio source and the quality of the sound. I am asking this because Spotify is more convenient for me to use than converting my audio collection to CDs (it will be a costly and time consuming process).

Could you please share your experience using Spotify and Audio CDs in CD player may be if not laptop? Your suggestions and experience can help me to decide upon a good audio source.

EDIT: I am running Denon AVR 4500H with Klipsch RP-8000F and R-115SW.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It depends mainly on what your system is comprised of. Mainly your speakers.
If using mid to low level speakers, you may not be able to make out the difference but if you have revealing and transparent speakers then I am quite certain that you can distinguish the changes in sources.
Please list your system so that knowledgeable people here can post their thoughts.
In my opinion if you are happy with Spotify then stay with it rather than going through the rigmarole of ripping and uploading CDs.

Too many variables at play making a definitive answer difficult - probably the most important variable being how much of a golden-ear are you

I am more brass-eared and find spotify quite good although I find the SQ on Apple music better.
I have run comparisons between 24bit/88.2 khz FLAC (which is supposed to better than the 16/44.1 on audio , technically at least ) and Apple Music and found both to be excellent.

The only way to validate is by using any particular track from your CD collection and stream them from Apple Music and Spotify as well.
Play small clips from each back to back to see if you can spot a difference.

Two important considerations to make sure the A/B/C test is accurate

1) Use a SPL measurement app to ensure that the db levels from each source are equal.
Even a +-3db difference can make the louder source seem better

2) On spotify, do make sure you enable the highest quality setting (320kbps)

Too many variables at play making a definitive answer difficult - probably the most important variable being how much of a golden-ear are you

I am more brass-eared and find spotify quite good although I find the SQ on Apple music better.
I have run comparisons between 24bit/88.2 khz FLAC (which is supposed to better than the 16/44.1 on audio , technically at least ) and Apple Music and found both to be excellent.

The only way to validate is by using any particular track from your CD collection and stream them from Apple Music and Spotify as well.
Play small clips from each back to back to see if you can spot a difference.

Two important considerations to make sure the A/B/C test is accurate

1) Use a SPL measurement app to ensure that the db levels from each source are equal.
Even a +-3db difference can make the louder source seem better

2) On spotify, do make sure you enable the highest quality setting (320kbps)

Thanks for your suggestions. Yup the quality in the Spotify is set to "Very High". I guess I am not very forgiving towards sound quality ;-)

Did you use an original CD, or an audio CD of ripped mp3s converted to .cda files?
That was a Original Audio CD I believe, any way to find that out? as I borrowed that from some one without the case :(

If it’s an original, it’ll usually have a printed label on one side.
And it won’t mention 52x anywhere :)

Even on expensive systems it’s difficult to hear an audible difference between 320kbps mp3 and audio CD. This has been proven through ABX tests. But where CDs score better is with reducing the listening fatigue since our ears will be constantly creating missing info in mp3 on the fly.

All said, if you are happy with current setup don’t alter it. Nothing beats contentment :)

Ok. Then you can build your library of CDs at the earliest as they too are becoming extinct like cassettes :(

Your ears are the best judge. No point faffing with rips, album art and Nas if you can't hear a difference. But that's not to say, that there is no absolute difference between a good quality CD and a high bit rate Spotify digital stream of the same track.

Its all to do with how good the original recording is; Redbook CD's like Philips recording of Art Blakeys "Night in Tunisia" or Pat Metheny "Travels" Album's are amazing recordings.

Uncompressed FLAC's on HDTracks are super-duper too. If you can hold of "FOCAL JMlab" Audiophile CD's or FLAC conversions you will be amazed how good they sound.

There are some Album's on Spotify that sound good to me too - have a listen to Stings Album "The Dream of The Blue Turtles", Pat Metheny's Travels sounds very decent on Spotify too.

Its all to do with how good the original recording is; Redbook CD's like Philips recording of Art Blakeys "Night in Tunisia" or Pat Metheny "Travels" Album's are amazing recordings.
And Philips recording of Roger Whitaker.

Audio CD Red book standard should sound better than spotify. But then lot of audio CDs are manufactured on very low quality material. So if you really wish to compare then take very good quality Audio CD and then compare with Spotify with highest quality. You can also try Tidal which is even better. Audio CD with good DAC like TDA 1540 or TDA 1541 will surely sound better than any other digital source. On a different note, Reel to Reel, Vinyl and Audio Cassette (on Tandberg) sound better than Audio Cds by big margin. But its all relative to your taste and budget. If the budget is less, make friendship with singers/musicians and listen to them live with good orchestra. No technology can be better than the Live (direct human to human listening).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back