Squeaking Cassette (Crying Cassette) - A Solution

anirban420

Many problems are often noted when cassettes are improperly stored. The appearance of fungus in the tapes is an issue which is one of the common and unavoidable problems in majority cases. This problem can be solved by playing back the cassette several times. The fungal dust is deposited over the Head surface and other tape paths that can easily be wiped off by standard means. But a real problem occurs when the fungal dust deposits on the backside of the tape, it is the side of the tape which the Head does not read, it faces towards the pressure pad. In this scenario, the cassette makes a high pitched squeaking sound during playback. The sound is amplified in the speaker and also noticeable very clearly if we switch off the volume knob of the amplifier. Its the "Crying Cassette". For a long time, I did not know why it happens. After doing some research, I found that the phenomenon is straightforward to interpret. The backside fungal dust is deposited on the Pressure Pad. When the tape moves, it experiences friction with the tiny dust particles over the pad, making the noise. This noise is somehow picked up by the Head and reproduced as a high pitched squeaking noise throughout the playback.

I found an easy solution to the problem. Here are the steps.

1. Locate the pressure pad.

IMG_20200603_125800 hfv.jpg

2. Pull out the tape by some means.

IMG_20200603_125840.jpg

3. You can see the dust build-up over the pressure pad.

IMG_20200603_130131 hfv.jpg

4. Clean the dust with isopropyl alcohol using a suitable tool. I use my pre-cleaned finger only; however, Q-tip or any appropriate tool can also be used. In some extreme cases, the surface needs to be scrapped off by fine-tipped & shape razor blade, but do it only when it is hugely necessary with very caution

That's it. The cassette is again ready for playback.

Many problems are often noted when cassettes are improperly stored. The appearance of fungus in the tapes is an issue which is one of the common and unavoidable problems in majority cases. This problem can be solved by playing back the cassette several times. The fungal dust is deposited over the Head surface and other tape paths that can easily be wiped off by standard means. But a real problem occurs when the fungal dust deposits on the backside of the tape, it is the side of the tape which the Head does not read, it faces towards the pressure pad. In this scenario, the cassette makes a high pitched squeaking sound during playback. The sound is amplified in the speaker and also noticeable very clearly if we switch off the volume knob of the amplifier. Its the "Crying Cassette". For a long time, I did not know why it happens. After doing some research, I found that the phenomenon is straightforward to interpret. The backside fungal dust is deposited on the Pressure Pad. When the tape moves, it experiences friction with the tiny dust particles over the pad, making the noise. This noise is somehow picked up by the Head and reproduced as a high pitched squeaking noise throughout the playback.

I found an easy solution to the problem. Here are the steps.

1. Locate the pressure pad.

View attachment 46017

2. Pull out the tape by some means.

View attachment 46018

3. You can see the dust build-up over the pressure pad.

View attachment 46019

4. Clean the dust with isopropyl alcohol using a suitable tool. I use my pre-cleaned finger only; however, Q-tip or any appropriate tool can also be used. In some extreme cases, the surface needs to be scrapped off by fine-tipped & shape razor blade, but do it only when it is hugely necessary with very caution

That's it. The cassette is again ready for playback.
Very useful information for tapeheads.

Sometimes the worn out pinch roller also causes this crying cassette.

this is at best a temporary solution. This is caused by the tapes losing lubricant and the friction causes the tapes to wear. This will work as long as the pad has some residual fluid in it which serves as a lubricant.

this is at best a temporary solution. This is caused by the tapes losing lubricant and the friction causes the tapes to wear. This will work as long as the pad has some residual fluid in it which serves as a lubricant.
Outside of tape is madeup of very soft plastic only. Magnetic dusts are sandwiched between two very thin plastic layers.. pressure pads are consists of dry & hard foam type material only.

Wetting the pressure pad solves the problem. Also, applying talcom powder over pressure pad is another solution. But both are temporary. They work by masking the dust, providing a soft surface (lubricating surface if pad is wet). As soon as the fluide/powder remain, problem dnt occur. Removing the dust is the only solution that I have found till date. Also, the pad can be chnged, which is the best solution.

interesting....
my Sony CFS-W301 squealed 3 hours ago in playback.
i left it alone for that time period, then just tried it again with the same tape.
no squeal !!!
i should state that last night i cleaned the pinch roller with diluted Windex.
(not the head or capstan, just the rubber roller; i use 91% alky on metal parts)
the pressure pad looks clean.
i don't see any fungal dust.
any thoughts?
OBTW:
there seem to be as many variations in pressure pads as there are decks themselves.
i've seen foam, felt, rubber, all kinds of materials.
is one substance more prone to fungus than another?
Cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back