Stacking of components

ranojoy

We already know the following :-
1. Amps/AVRs should have 3 to 4 inches of open space on top (as well as space on the two sides) for effective ventilation.
2. Disc players dont need much space on top. However, placing a weight on top of the unit can reduce the vibration caused by the spinning disc.

Therefore, does 1+2 mean that AVR on top of the disc player is a good idea ????

Hi:

As long as the receiver is on a flat, smooth surface, such that the underside grill is not obstructed, and there is plenty of air above the AVR, no problem in keeping AVR above CD. IMO.

:)

an amp stacked on a CDP is not a bad idea if you are short of place ( rather than the other way round)
in fact ive seen this setup in 2 listening rooms

of course they both used vibrapods between the CDP and the AMP ( this is not compulsory though especially is amps like the NAD which have pretty good height set offs anyway)

Given that modern CD players are not made very strong, and that the space between the drive and the top body is very small, I would hesitate to keep anything on top of a CD/DVD Player. With the weight of a heavy unit such as an AVR, it is quite possible that the top metal bends permanently and brushes against the drive. Why take chances?

Cheers

\With the weight of a heavy unit such as an AVR, it is quite possible that the top metal bends permanently and brushes against the drive. Why take chances?

absolutely! venkat - especially when two dis-similar components are used - this likelihood is very very real -

audio components should never be stacked !

that is asking for trouble!

aiyyo! My cassette player, ultralight dvdp are kept on top of nad cdp. I can't place the other way round as depth of cdp is more than other two. what to do?

aiyyo! My cassette player, ultralight dvdp are kept on top of nad cdp. I can't place the other way round as depth of cdp is more than other two. what to do?

hi anm,
get a good rack with a shelf for each component - with each shelf being able to isolate the component from incident energy, and also being able to drain away kinetic energy created by the component - for example - like the one SHAIZADA (a forum member) has.

regds

shaizada is a real shaizada. I don't have itna zyada. Pls tell me in 5-10k budget only. And I am seriously looking for one. Something I can shut from all sides and open it only when listening. It may have a shop like shutter to save space when open.

@ anm
I wud never stack components ..ever. And disapprove for simple understanding of the money i spend on hifi w.r.t upkeep that i am responsible for the components.

Try CASA ..check out their website.
I was with Malvai today at my home. He saw the rack i have and quite approved of it. I got it for inr 5400 from Casa showroom CP. Its not shuttered thing like u ask though but Heavy solid, piano black pillars with 8mm glass slabs.

actually my components don't get that hot, so maybe I will just use fridge's body from a kabaadi wala - can sell compressor to Sid :p

How about kinetic energy from components and the other energies that Suri mentioned? Are Mahiruha's rack/ CASA racks up to that?

use fridge's body from a kabaadi wala

hi anm - just what i was thinking- would be perfect - especially the korean freezer-at- the- bottom-cooler-on-top model - with dual compressors.

buy the thing off the kabbadi wala - rip the door of the top section - use that as a superb isolation cool-as-ice audio rack -

and use the bottom as a quick-chill mini bar - :yahoo:

To stack items, the items must be designed to stack, for example the marantz range of electronic components are designed to stack upon each other.

Marantz-AV8003-combo.jpg

Last edited:
To stack items, the items must be designed to stack

IMO, not necessarily so. There will arise situations when one can't put a AV rack or consider separate shelves, etc., in that case stacking will be the only option, may be, our OP suffers from that, I just don't know.

However, like somebody said above, if the AVR can firmly stand in all four points on top of CDP, no matter if the body of AVR protrudes out or looks odd, it is fine.

IMO, not necessarily so. There will arise situations when one can't put a AV rack or consider separate shelves, etc., in that case stacking will be the only option, may be, our OP suffers from that, I just don't know.

However, like somebody said above, if the AVR can firmly stand in all four points on top of CDP, no matter if the body of AVR protrudes out or looks odd, it is fine.

I was speaking from a design point of view, real life circumstances are different.

The concept of stacking applies across board to anything which must occupy a given space in an efficient manner without damaging each other.

When the product is designed with stacking with another of its own family there is no risk involved from a structural point of view.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back