Starsky Lighting - HT ROOM

geetlahari

Hi All/experts

I am planning to build a HT room, ceiling I am thinking of having a false ceiling, but like to know how can we have starsky lighting? How do we keep them, do we get builtin panels, or we play with lights & make them DIY?

can we have starsky lighting in false ceiling? or we can accomdate them only in tile ceiling like autone/amstrong.

Thanks
---Hari

I have done a starsky ceiling in my HT. Room Size is around 200sqft however the starsky is only covering 100sqft in the middle. You need to have a material like Armstrong as false ceiling leaving at least 3" gap (if light source is somewhere else) or 6" gap (if light source and motor are in the false ceiling).

Mine is only 3" false ceiling as i keep the motor in a loft in nearby room. Cost of the lighting was Rs35000 including installation and around 250 fibre points were given.

hi Raghav

thanks for the info, do we have any other type of starsky, i.e use LED's? or any other economical way of doing it?

Thanks
Hari

Santhosh from Bangalore has done something similar in his HT setup. There is a detail Thread about his HT setup. The information should be in the HT thread.

I have done a starsky ceiling in my HT. Room Size is around 200sqft however the starsky is only covering 100sqft in the middle. You need to have a material like Armstrong as false ceiling leaving at least 3" gap (if light source is somewhere else) or 6" gap (if light source and motor are in the false ceiling).

Mine is only 3" false ceiling as i keep the motor in a loft in nearby room. Cost of the lighting was Rs35000 including installation and around 250 fibre points were given.
Raghav, I knew you were looking for one, but missed your update. Could you please post pictures if not done already? What motor are we talking about? Are you referring to the unit which changes the color of the light emitted? If yes, I have removed this unit in my Starsky and have done some "DIY jugaad" so that the color of the starsky remains white all the time.

hi Raghav

thanks for the info, do we have any other type of starsky, i.e use LED's? or any other economical way of doing it?
You can do it using LEDs but LED does not look as great as Optic Fiber as sparkle of optic fiber looks lovely when I compared. Optic Fiber although expensive is easy to work with and maintain. The way optic fiber lighting works, you have one source(one led light) that is transmitted through the various strands. In the event of a failure, you just have to change one LED. You can do it with any kind of false ceiling - plywood, gypsum, acoustic tiles as long as you are able to drill the holes into it neatly. I have used perforated hard wood board (two layers glued together).

Santhosh from Bangalore has done something similar in his HT setup. There is a detail Thread about his HT setup. The information should be in the HT thread.
Thanks soundofmusic.

Link below has some WIP pics:
http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...eatre-room-please-guide-me-31.html#post104747

Hope this helps:).

I have not done any update as the HT is in the final stages of completion. Only wooden flooring, painting and installing the electronics is left. So will be posting pictures in a week.

I have to check which motor is being used, but yes, light colour changes all the time. I did not have the knowledge for DIY and the agency gave me a quote of Rs35000 for 250 light points over a 100sqft. This was much reasonable than others who quoted around Rs60000-70000 for the same. Regarding Starsky colour, I am going to use it for a month or so and if I feel the colours distract, the vendor has offered to make it single/two colour.

Also currently the tiles in the ceiling are white. Might get it painted balck later on.

Raghav

Raghav, I knew you were looking for one, but missed your update. Could you please post pictures if not done already? What motor are we talking about? Are you referring to the unit which changes the color of the light emitted? If yes, I have removed this unit in my Starsky and have done some "DIY jugaad" so that the color of the starsky remains white all the time.

Also currently the tiles in the ceiling are white. Might get it painted balck later on.
Raghav, better get the painting done now rather than later. Painters are a mess and should be kept away from the room in the finishing stages. From my experience, I have noticed that they will damage/stain other parts of the room.

Also, if you are using acoustic tiles like Armstrong/Anutone..suggest you do a spray paint rather than by brush. Painting by brush will clog the pores and the tiles will lose their acoustic properties.

All the best!! Do post pics when you get a chance.

thanks for the suggestion of spray paint.

As for painter, he has done the entire house and he also reponsible for the furniture polish etc. So he takes extra care not to stain his own work.

Raghav, better get the painting done now rather than later. Painters are a mess and should be kept away from the room in the finishing stages. From my experience, I have noticed that they will damage/stain other parts of the room.

Also, if you are using acoustic tiles like Armstrong/Anutone..suggest you do a spray paint rather than by brush. Painting by brush will clog the pores and the tiles will lose their acoustic properties.

All the best!! Do post pics when you get a chance.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back