Static charge on vinyl records

joysec

Recently I have encountered a typical problem with respect to accumulation of static charge on some of the LP records which creates substantial noise and sound detoriation, while playing these discs with MM Cartridges having lighter tracking force(Less than 1.5 gms) like Shure V15 type IV with Jico Non SAS stylus (Recommended TF 0.75 to 1.25 gms) and Audio Technica AT 14sa (TF 1.2-1.5 gms).

I may be wrong in the diagnosis.

It may be for some different reasons but definitely not due to poor alignment of cartridge or faulty tone arm or improper anti scatting setting. As a matter of fact, these cartridge used to perform superb while I first installed them and they are 2-6 months old. Average usage will not exceed 100 hrs.

I desperately need guidance to eradicate the problem since these are little costlier cartridge and sound heavenly sometimes with some particular discs,

Have you tried using an anti-static record cleaning brush before playing a record? Also some records are inherited with noise and theres no way to eliminate that, well lets just say that noise adds to the whole nostalgic feel :)

i doubt static is such a big issue in humid countries such as ours!
when i was abroad, my hair would stand up on end when i take out a record - hardly see that here!

i doubt static is such a big issue in humid countries such as ours!
when i was abroad, my hair would stand up on end when i take out a record - hardly see that here!

True. But still some place of India less humidity and there the issue is there. Even in Bangalore some season we face this issue.

One more thing is JICO SAS stylus loves to play only near mint records and will not forgive click and pops from poor vinyls.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back