Steaming MQA from android to windows pc with mqa dac

msankadi

Hi

I have a nuc connected to my yahama htr 3072. Currently I am using bubbleupnp to stream tidal to jriver on windows which plays on my avr...

I am planning to invest in an MQA compatible dac as they aren't too expensive now... Looking at ifi zen dac v2

1. Bubbleupnp doesn't support MQA so how can I use my current setup to stream mqa files wirelessly to play on my computer via the new dac and avr?

I know that tidal windows app supports mqa but it doesn't support remote control like spotify which is important for me

2. Apart from tidal mqa support, would I see a benefit in sound quality in general compared to my internal dac on 3072?

Why don't you install the Volumio on the NUC and play directly on your AVR, bypassing the PC? Volumio supports not only MQA but also Tidal Connect? That said, if you want full MQA unfolding, you can hook a Dragonfly Audioquest to the NUC, and you are done.

Another wise solution is to take the Audirvana route; it can do the first level of MQA unfolding without additional hardware.

Why don't you install the Volumio on the NUC and play directly on your AVR, bypassing the PC? Volumio supports not only MQA but also Tidal Connect? That said, if you want full MQA unfolding, you can hook a Dragonfly Audioquest to the NUC, and you are done.

Another wise solution is to take the Audirvana route; it can do the first level of MQA unfolding without additional hardware.
Unfortunately I use the same nuc s my htpc for projector too so I cannot install Volumio os on it... Again I am fine using dragonfly or whatever dac like I mentioned ifi... I am more concerned about how to play mqa files wirelessly once I have that dac as my current choice bubbleupnp doesn't allow that

Unfortunately I use the same nuc s my htpc for projector too so I cannot install Volumio os on it... Again I am fine using dragonfly or whatever dac like I mentioned ifi... I am more concerned about how to play mqa files wirelessly once I have that dac as my current choice bubbleupnp doesn't allow that
It sounds like you have an ideal Use Case for Audirvana.

:( Its quite expensive though...82usd per year...any other cheaper way?
I am afraid, No. Audirvana needs to pay the licensing fee for MQA unfolding, but it's still cheaper than Roon. Try the free 1-month trial and see if that $$$ is a bang for your buck.

Edit:- Why not go for a different Volumio/RP4 set-up for Music? RP4 is super cheap, and so as Volumio, it costs around Rs.250/Month for the Tidal Connect support.

Last edited:
Hi

I have a nuc connected to my yahama htr 3072. Currently I am using bubbleupnp to stream tidal to jriver on windows which plays on my avr...

I am planning to invest in an MQA compatible dac as they aren't too expensive now... Looking at ifi zen dac v2

1. Bubbleupnp doesn't support MQA so how can I use my current setup to stream mqa files wirelessly to play on my computer via the new dac and avr?

I know that tidal windows app supports mqa but it doesn't support remote control like spotify which is important for me

2. Apart from tidal mqa support, would I see a benefit in sound quality in general compared to my internal dac on 3072?
My setup:

1. ROON core on my gaming PC
2. USB out from PC to Zen Dac
3. Analog out from Zen DAC to Marantz SR 7010
4. ROON client on my Android Phone to remote control the ROON core.

Settled on this after trying out a lot of combinations including Zen DAC, FX Audio tube pre and Crown XLS 2502.

My setup:

1. ROON core on my gaming PC
2. USB out from PC to Zen Dac
3. Analog out from Zen DAC to Marantz SR 7010
4. ROON client on my Android Phone to remote control the ROON core.

Settled on this after trying out a lot of combinations including Zen DAC, FX Audio tube pre and Crown XLS 2502.
:( thanks but roon is just way too expensive unfortunately

Is MQA even an item now?
Cheers,
Raghu
Yes for those of us not in apple ecosystem and too cheap to afford Qobuz, tidal is the option toll spotify hifi gets here...

Really though I don't think mqa matters in terms of audio to someone like me who is just at very beginning of audio journey... But i just hve this ocd scratch I need to satisfy

I don't have any experience with Tidal or Qobuz.
Generally use Spotify to discover and then download :)

Cheers,
Raghu

The Tidal Desktop App also supports MQA Passthrough.
View attachment 64101
Yes the challenge is tidal doesn't allow remote control through tidal connect like spotify does otherwise it would have been the easiest solution (as I mentioned in op)... They have supposedly been working on this feature for 2 years now but still no signs of it.. My guess is they don't want to implement it as they are happily collecting license fee from streamers, dacs and software companies for mqa

Back