Step down power converter for AVR from US

ss.rakesh

I recently got a sony AVR from USA.
This is rated at 250w
Plz suggest a good power converter to power this.

Last edited:
There is a brand called Maxcon by MX.
I personally use two 1000 watts - one to drive my Onkyo AVR and the other for my Bose AM10s.
Recently picked up a 500 watts one for my friend who had picked up a Yamaha AVR from USA.
Very satisfied with the product.

I know it’s out of topic I want to know certain things bringing electronics from us. First packing and then customs. One of my friend wil be coming from us and m planning to get the svs elevation speakers nd the nvidia tv. The nvidia may not be a problem as it can be packed along with the clothes.coming to speakers the box will be big and heavy similar to the avrs u guys have managed to get from us. So how does it work? Svs elevation costs 50k Mrp. Us it’s half the cost

Avoid using original box and use normal suitcase wherever possible. Then it should be fine.
Ok so need to wrap the products around clothes and pack them with the regular suitcase? But won’t the product be damaged? The bags are thrown nd handled rough

Ok so need to wrap the products around clothes and pack them with the regular suitcase? But won’t the product be damaged? The bags are thrown nd handled rough

Include the original thermocol packing material as much as possible. It should prevent the items from moving inside the suitcase and withstand some fall damage. I have brought avr, speaker drivers, xbox etc in this approach.

Include the original thermocol packing material as much as possible. It should prevent the items from moving inside the suitcase and withstand some fall damage. I have brought avr, speaker drivers, xbox etc in this approach.
Ok thanks for clearing that up

Guess there is a INR 45K per person exemption limit.
Have brought in AVR and Speakers (Bose AM10) in the suitcase.
Brought in Pro ject TT and Elac bookshelves in the original box.
No issues from customs.
Guess it also depends on your luck.

It's mostly your luck. Have got avrs two times with original packing without any issue. These day customs guys are not very serious in checking.

Not necessarily. Customs asked me for bill. The Onkyo AVR and the Bose speakers actually came in 1 box. If i had carried it that way it would have been treated as 1 unit for 1 passenger and i would have to pay customs.
Hence i carried each unit separately and declared avr as my baggage and the speakes as my wife's baggage. Also submitted separate bills for AVR and Bose. Since the split was below or at par with the exemption limit the customs didn't charge anything.

You need not carry a single unit in the suitcase and can carry in the original box. My 14 year old got me the Elac B6s in the original box. No issue with customs or airlines regarding excess dimensions of package.
My Pro ject was also carried in original box. No issue.

Also original box may be handled with more care by baggage handlers. Baggage may be thrown around.

Not necessarily. Customs asked me for bill. The Onkyo AVR and the Bose speakers actually came in 1 box. If i had carried it that way it would have been treated as 1 unit for 1 passenger and i would have to pay customs.
Hence i carried each unit separately and declared avr as my baggage and the speakes as my wife's baggage. Also submitted separate bills for AVR and Bose. Since the split was below or at par with the exemption limit the customs didn't charge anything.

You need not carry a single unit in the suitcase and can carry in the original box. My 14 year old got me the Elac B6s in the original box. No issue with customs or airlines regarding excess dimensions of package.
My Pro ject was also carried in original box. No issue.

Also original box may be handled with more care by baggage handlers. Baggage may be thrown around.
Ok so either pack it in suit case or carry with original packing and as long as its one package per passenger it is all good?

Ok so either pack it in suit case or carry with original packing and as long as its one package per passenger it is all good?

Yes.
However, do consider that the original packing is more secure as the thermocol is properly hugging the equipment. Once you shift to a suitcase you may have to compromise as the stuff with the thermocol may not fit properly. As mentioned above - airline staff may handle the original packing with better care as compared to baggage. In my case the check-in lady at NY airport affixed the "FRAGILE" tag on the bag containing the Bose woofer and then dumped the bag on the conveyor belt. She then realised her mistake and apologised to me. Thankfully the equipment was not damaged.
Also, if you are changing planes there is more risk as baggage has to be moved from one aircraft to another. In which case i would again prefer the original box. On a direct flight the risk is the minimum.
The above is my take on issue. Hope it helps.

Do note that for hi-fi electronics, liquor and chocolates you will get the best rates in the US. Make the most of it.

Yes.
However, do consider that the original packing is more secure as the thermocol is properly hugging the equipment. Once you shift to a suitcase you may have to compromise as the stuff with the thermocol may not fit properly. As mentioned above - airline staff may handle the original packing with better care as compared to baggage. In my case the check-in lady at NY airport affixed the "FRAGILE" tag on the bag containing the Bose woofer and then dumped the bag on the conveyor belt. She then realised her mistake and apologised to me. Thankfully the equipment was not damaged.
Also, if you are changing planes there is more risk as baggage has to be moved from one aircraft to another. In which case i would again prefer the original box. On a direct flight the risk is the minimum.
The above is my take on issue. Hope it helps.

Do note that for hi-fi electronics, liquor and chocolates you will get the best rates in the US. Make the most of it.
Ok thanks

I had got the a pair of satellite speakers for my atmos setup when i was in Europe. I put the entire speaker in the suitcase with the original carton box.

My suitcase was crossed with a X when i went to pick it up at the indian airport. The customs asked me what it is & i said they were computer speakers, they just let me go. So i guess you need bit of luck & if the items are under 40k then you should be ok. Its a gamble really.

Cheers..

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back