Stereo amp and floor stand speaker suggestions needed.

mjo

I am looking for a stereo amp and a pair of floor stand speakers. Source for this setup would be a turntable (Denon DP200) and TV. Though, I would like to watch movies also some time, still not at all looking for an AVR as I have no plan to go for surround speakers due to space constraint. My budget is 30 – 40 K, so looking for entry level systems. The system has to be placed in my living room which is L shaped. Area that is intended for listening to music would be 10 x 12 feet, but this would be fully open from one side. Following diagram may help to understand the structure.

livingroom.png

After reading through various forums selected Norge 2060 UBT. Would have gone for Norge 1000 gold, but 2060 UBT model has got Bluetooth, FM and USB support so suits me better. For speakers I have selected Yamaha NS 8390 so far, still not sure though.
Need expert advice from respected members on following.
  • Is this combination compatible and will it sound good?
  • Any alternative suggestions?
One common suggestion I got everywhere is, audition before you buy. Please suggest where can I audition this (or similar) combination? I stay near Phoenix mall, Bangalore so any place nearby would do.

Thanks in advance.

I stay near Phoenix mall, Bangalore so any place nearby would do.
Phoenix mall has a profx showroom, but not sure if they deal with the said brand amp & speaker, you can give a visit to checkout.

The other place I'm aware of is Modern World in old airport Rd, near Domlur.

There were similar threads recently where you can find suggestions for other amps & speakers.
Happy shopping!!

Phoenix mall has a profx showroom, but not sure if they deal with the said brand amp & speaker, you can give a visit to checkout.

The other place I'm aware of is Modern World in old airport Rd, near Domlur.

There were similar threads recently where you can find suggestions for other amps & speakers.
Happy shopping!!
Visited them. They don't have Norge. Moreover their starting amp costs higher than my total budget :).
Modern World seems to have got good options. I'll go there.

I am looking for a stereo amp and a pair of floor stand speakers. Source for this setup would be a turntable (Denon DP200) and TV. Though, I would like to watch movies also some time, still not at all looking for an AVR as I have no plan to go for surround speakers due to space constraint. My budget is 30 – 40 K, so looking for entry level systems. The system has to be placed in my living room which is L shaped. Area that is intended for listening to music would be 10 x 12 feet, but this would be fully open from one side. Following diagram may help to understand the structure.

View attachment 28755

After reading through various forums selected Norge 2060 UBT. Would have gone for Norge 1000 gold, but 2060 UBT model has got Bluetooth, FM and USB support so suits me better. For speakers I have selected Yamaha NS 8390 so far, still not sure though.
One common suggestion I got everywhere is, audition before you buy. Please suggest where can I audition this (or similar) combination? I stay near Phoenix mall, Bangalore so any place nearby would do.

Thanks in advance.
First of all, placement is not correct.

Move the entire audio set up to the left wall.
Oops. Didn't draw properly. Left wall has a big sliding door for balcony so not possible. Right side area is dining area, so that's also ruled out. Only place to keep speakers and amp is the currently drawn location :( .

Oops. Didn't draw properly. Left wall has a big sliding door for balcony so not possible. Right side area is dining area, so that's also ruled out. Only place to keep speakers and amp is the currently drawn location :( .
In that case, if possible only move the speakers to the left wall and keep the amp, source etc., where you have presently shown the right speaker.

Modern World seems to have got good options. I'll go there.
Let us know what all you could audition there for the budget. If you still couldn't find, then you might have to travel a bit to HT store in JP Nagar.
IMO, for the given budget you would be better off taking the used one's route.

Let us know what all you could audition there for the budget. If you still couldn't find, then you might have to travel a bit to HT store in JP Nagar.
IMO, for the given budget you would be better off taking the used one's route.
Visited Modern World. They had Denon and Yamaha amps with Emotiva and Q acoustics speakers. Didn't like the sound at all (despite they being expensive). I think there was problem with setup.
Looks like next stop is HT store.

View attachment 28755

Thanks in advance.
Don't get the UBT models. Usb plays only mp3, and bluetooth version in it is not that good and will become out of date in the near future, also bluetooth audio quality sucks.

Get 2060 or 1000 and connect headphone out of your phone/ computer etc., to the line in of the amp via a buffer, you will get better results than the inbuilt usb and bluetooth. You will also have the option to play wave/flac etc., using your phone/comp. I have two Norge 1000s, though one is up for sale. I used Logitech bluetooth for playing music from my phone/comp, for some time. I never liked it, connection drops and not very good audio quality. Now I use buffer, fully satisfied and the bluetooth lying idle has become my son's toy.

Don't get the UBT models. Usb plays only mp3, and bluetooth version in it is not that good and will become out of date in the near future, also bluetooth audio quality sucks.

Get 2060 or 1000 and connect headphone out of your phone/ computer etc., to the line in of the amp via a buffer, you will get better results than the inbuilt usb and bluetooth. You will also have the option to play wave/flac etc., using your phone/comp. I have two Norge 1000s, though one is up for sale. I used Logitech bluetooth for playing music from my phone/comp, for some time. I never liked it, connection drops and not very good audio quality. Now I use buffer, fully satisfied and the bluetooth lying idle has become my son's toy.
Thanks @vinyl I'll take care of this.
Still looking for a place to get demo for this setup.

Sorry for the thread highjack but...

What is a buffer and why is it needed?

Sorry for the thread highjack but...

What is a buffer and why is it needed?
When the headphone out of any source like phone, computer, etc., is fed to the line input of an amplifier, impedance mismatch occurs, as a result various problems occur, like the volume control levels of both the source and the amplifier has to be raised to high levels, but still a decent level of volume output may not come, and if it does come, then sound quality is very bad. To solve these problems and to get the same audio quality, just as connecting line out of source to line in of amplififier, a buffer is used to act as an intermediary between the headphone out of source and the line in of the amplifier.

Hope this gives you a clear picture.

In that case, if possible only move the speakers to the left wall and keep the amp, source etc., where you have presently shown the right speaker.

This will sound very open which is a good thing. Downside is: there will be a drop in bass due to the absence of a rear wall. I would keep the position as your drawn, because you need the other space for something else, and that room is a difficult place for making left and right sound symmetrical. The left will have more bass, the right will sound very open, I would add a very thick curtain to the left to mimick the absence of reflections from the right side.

If symmetry is the concern, I would follow what Vinyl mentioned and add a sub to get the 'lost' bass.

Try both, I think your current plan is the only way in your room.

Some acoustics if possible : Move the seat forward from the wall. Keep the speakers at 1/3 length of the room. Do the same for the seat from the rear wall. Add an acoustic panel at ear level behind your seat. Add a bass trap on left front and another one on left rear. You should be getting a great 3 dimensional soundstage with proper width and depth now. Add a rug to control the treble smoother and bass tighter , less boomy and extended.

Last edited:
This will sound very open which is a good thing. Downside is: there will be a drop in bass due to the absence of a rear wall. I would keep the position as your drawn, because you need the other space for something else, and that room is a difficult place for making left and right sound symmetrical. The left will have more bass, the right will sound very open, I would add a very thick curtain to the left to mimick the absence of reflections from the right side.

If symmetry is the concern, I would follow what Vinyl mentioned and add a sub to get the 'lost' bass.

Try both, I think your current plan is the only way in your room.

Some acoustics if possible : Move the seat forward from the wall. Keep the speakers at 1/3 length of the room. Do the same for the seat from the rear wall. Add an acoustic panel at ear level behind your seat. Add a bass trap on left front and another one on left rear. You should be getting a great 3 dimensional soundstage with proper width and depth now. Add a rug to control the treble smoother and bass tighter , less boomy and extended.
Left already has got curtain. So that way I am covered. My biggest problem right now is to finalize the system and I am still not able to audition anything good. Honestly, music on the setup I could audition in last 2 places sounded worse than my Sony home theater (dav-dz790k without surround speakers). I am finding difficult to find places to go and hear out amp and speakers. There are Reliance Digitals, Chromas, Girias, Pai etc, but all of them sell HT in box and most of their staff start showing bluetooth speakers.

I think we should have a thread for location wise auditioning. That way people get to know good places to select, finalize (and maybe buy) their system.

This weekend I went to audition speakers at DNI.

I wanted to hear Yamaha NS 8390, but it was not available at that moment, so auditioned NS F160 instead. Apart from it's huge size liked the sound of it. Didn't feel I'll need any sub with this. Overall things were good till this point.

Then the guy switched to Dali Zensor 5. That was the moment I realized that how clear speakers could sound. Loved every bit of the sound. Clean high, clean vocals and clean lows.

Third he put Focal Chorus 714. This one also had clean sound, but didn't beat Dali to my ears.

Bottom line: Everyone in each thread keep on saying that audition the speakers before buying them and THEY ARE 100% right. Speakers I auditioned were all good in their own ways, but I got to know what kind of sound I liked more (i.e. clarity of Dali).

I'll audition more before finalizing, need more suggest for speaker models and places to audition in Bangalore.

@mjo Well the speakers you auditioned are at different price points. Good you are auditioning speakers. Try auditioning Paradigm speakers also. PSB also comes to mind.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back