stereo amp or stereo receiver

Haresh

Friends ,
Some day ago I was search a av receiver for my bookshelf speaker , but friends said go for amplifier ya stereo receiver for 2 channel stereo music . coz I have Boston acoustics a26 bookshelf speaker & my choice first audio then video ( 90% -10%).
Anybody explain me different between stereo amp & stereo receiver & which best for home sound.
Haresh

If you want to listen to music with cd or DVD player then a stero amp would do. If you need to listen to radio then you require a avr which comes with a receiver.

Let me try explaining

Stereo Amplifier - Only Integrated amp so just source Music from CD\DVD\Laptop etc and get the sound through Speakers

Stereo Receiver- Integrated amp+ FM Receiver , Either you could source the music from CD\DVD\LAPTOP etc also via FM station though speakers
( I doubt we often come across Stereo receivers these days)

AV Receiver - As Name states - its for manipulating the AUDIO ( Stereo\2.1 or 5.1 etc) and Video (Up- scaling) for the Best Movie experience.

AV Receives are best for MOVIES and Might be Hi-end should be good for Movies and Music as well.

Guru'S Correct ,If i have a wrong understanding about the basics

Haresh,

What is you Budget :) ,Boston should be fine to run with Entry Level Nad,Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Yamaha,Denon, Pioneer, Etc. But its again melts down to the personal preference.

Folks above already mentioned the functionality difference in the receiver vs amp.

A receiver has all the parts needed to take a digital signal from your player and do everything till it is fed to your speakers.
Since the receiver is doing many jobs, You will get convenience but quality of each of the components will be compromised on to keep the price reasonable.

To break it down simply, see what all a receiver TYPICALLY does (in our case a CD player is connected via optical cable to a receiver and then to a speaker)
1- CD player sends the digital signal to the receiver.
2- the receiver will decode the signal (PCM mostly) and apply bass management if selected.
3- receiver then passes the signal (still in digital domain) to the internal DAC. The DAC will convert the digital signals to analog and amplify the signal to be a line level analog signal.
4- receiver takes this line level signal and uses an inbuilt pre amplifier for further processing like volume control and then finally to inbuilt power amplifiers to amplify the line level signal so a speaker can create the music.

I have kept the breakdown very simple above.
But you see from the number of components involved, the cost of the receiver should be very high but we usually see them priced reasonably.
The only way to do this is to reduce the quality of each component and keep the design sub optimal.

Cheers

Hi friends ,
Yesterday I m at ahmedabad for stereo amplifier but my boring day . I visited 6 dealer but they have no any one amp only avr . its very saim. No stereo ! Therefore I have one chance ...online shopping .

Pavilion dealer said first u will order me I will give in five days its only Onkyo stereo amp ( Onkyo a 9050) . and Yamaha give me demo for R-S 201 but totally fail . (third class demo)

Very sad guys . pls help

If getting a demo is not possible ....and online shopping is the only option ....go for Marantz ...you wont be disappointed

Last edited:
Hi guys ,
Pls suggest me any one for my bosto acoustic A26.
I see at ahmedabad - gujrat dealer .

Yamaha R-S 201 - 20500/-
Onkyo A-9030. - 28000/-
Denon pma 520 - 24000-

Help for a selection.

Thanks in advance
Harry

A dedicated 2 channel stereo amp's output sound is purely 'Analog'
But a 2 channel / 5 channel / 7 channel receiver's output sound is 'Digital'.

If your source is Audio CD player or good DAC ... go to a dedicated stereo amp.

Hi guys ,
Pls suggest me any one for my bosto acoustic A26.
I see at ahmedabad - gujrat dealer .

Yamaha R-S 201 - 20500/-
Onkyo A-9030. - 28000/-
Denon pma 520 - 24000-

Help for a selection.

Thanks in advance
Harry

Haresh - a sincere suggestion. Please find another option. None of these choices are great - either by themselves or for the amount you are paying.

Have you considered HifiMart? You can buy them online and they are sponsors (i think) of this forum/site. You can also see their ads in the hifivision home page.

Here are the amps they are currently selling: Integrated Amplifiers

Good choices in this list are the Marantz amps. Marantz PM6004 for example is an excellent choice and this price looks to be good too. The site is showing it as sold out but you can try contacting HifiMart to find out about their stock.

The NuForce DDA100 is actually a very interesting cutting-edge technology alternative. Unlike your traditional amps, this is an all-digital amp. Meaning, unlike a traditional amp where you have to supply analog inputs, you supply this a digital input (such as optical out from your blu-ray player or DVD). You should read the reviews - it was voted product of the year.

Which leads me to the question - what is your source? Do you want to power your TV with this? Or do you have a CD or DVD or Blu Ray player? Or do you have other requirements like bluetooth streaming music or internet radio from your phone?

The big drawback of most of these integrated amps is that while they give you good music quality, most don't have any of these features. Like most won't accept a digital input or HDMI input or won't support bluetooth or wifi etc. And this is why people buy stereo receivers and AVRs (which is about 90% of the market).

@Haresh
Since you have decided your preference is stereo amp,
What is your budget?

What kind of music will you listen to mostly?

I would suggest the following assuming you only have the speakers. (Search on Amazon)

Source - Synology DS214 play (400 US$ with a 3TB disk)
Connector - standard USB A to B (10 US $)
External DAC - Teac UDH-01 (300 US $)
Amplifier - crown XLS 1500 (300 US$)
Speakers - your speakers.

Total 1000US $

Crown amplifiers are not unnecessarily expensive like a Marantz or others. So you don't pay for branding !!
It will take any speaker you throw at it (including 2ohms) and that's a clear indication of its quality.

The Crown is having volume control and basic pre-amp functions and you don't need separate pre-amp.
It is rated for double of what your speakers need and that gives ample headroom for future improvements if you want to get bigger speakers in the future.

PLEASE get the 220v versions of DAC and Amp.

mention if you need more details.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back