Stereo integrated amplifier into a stereo power amplifier - Possible ? - Pls help

connect pre out of avr to power in of stereo amp and put volume to full.
thats bout it.. pretty simple.. volume knob cannot be disabled but to use it as power amp rotate the knob to full volume and the avr will do the volume control will pre-outs

If the OP's idea is to use the pre of the AVR to drive the power section of the two channel amp, the above suggestion doesn't bypass the pre of the two channel amp. It simply relocates the volume control from the stereo amp to the AVR, and it also won't be possible to know whether the AVR's pre sounds better than stereo amp's pre, as the signal from the AVR traverses thru the pre section of the stereo amp before passing thru' the power amp section. It adds one unnecessary stage of preamplification. The sound will be a composite of the two preamps + that of the power stage of the stereo amp.

OP: are the IN and OUT normally connected by a U link (or a short patch cord)? If yes, it means your amp has pre and power sections that can be split/broken. In this case you can use a different preamp to drive the power amp section of your amp. Or you can take out the output from the amp's pre out and drive a different power amp.

If no U-link is required for normal operation it means the IN and OUT are not pre OUT and power IN. Do look for manual to understand what they mean.

The above is most likely misleading information.
Volume control is usually implemented at preamp stage.

Also if it has gain it adds power.
Well said. AFAIK, the signal from CDP etc is fed to the line stage (preamp stage) and then to the pot and from there, usually to the buffer circuit before heading to the power amp circuit.

If no U-link is required for normal operation it means the IN and OUT are not pre OUT and power IN. Do look for manual to understand what they mean.

Well articulated.

If the OP's idea is to use the pre of the AVR to drive the power section of the two channel amp, the above suggestion doesn't bypass the pre of the two channel amp. It simply relocates the volume control from the stereo amp to the AVR, and it also won't be possible to know whether the AVR's pre sounds better than stereo amp's pre, as the signal from the AVR traverses thru the pre section of the stereo amp before passing thru' the power amp section. It adds one unnecessary stage of preamplification. The sound will be a composite of the two preamps + that of the power stage of the stereo amp.

Thanx for the detailed explanation...Yes.. I would like to use AVR as my pre-amp & power section of the two channeel amp...

OP: are the IN and OUT normally connected by a U link (or a short patch cord)? If yes, it means your amp has pre and power sections that can be split/broken. In this case you can use a different preamp to drive the power amp section of your amp. Or you can take out the output from the amp's pre out and drive a different power amp.

Yes.. They were connected by a U Link... I removed them so that i could use my AVR as Pre-amp and kenwood amplifier as power amp.....

Ideally removing the U link from IN and OUT, separates the pre-amp and power-amp section of the amplifier... If there is way to disable the volume knob, please guide me..... (basically want to use the Pre-amp (AVR) volume to control the power amp section of the additional amplifier...

Improving Stereo Performance of a Surround Sound Setup Part 2 | Hi-Fi Hunter UK - Second hand & ex-demo hi-fi search engine

hi Elango,
Please go through the article - link provided. Though it talks about improving the stereo performance of an AVR it provides advice on connecting a stereo amp to an AVR. Could be useful.

Thanx Buddy... Good article.. Helps in understanding..I think my stereo amp doesn't have the "unity gain" feature.. If it had, it would have been much simpler...

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back