stereo set up (cambridge audio 640av2.0)

rajkr100

Hi this is raj from Delhi

I want to have a nice stereo set up and my budget is 60k 5% less or more and i wish to have full worth of it as it is one time investment. and i want your expert advise.

Through this forum I came to know that there is two best entry level amp. i.e. NAD 320BEE and
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640AV2.0 actually the review conducted by what Hi Fi (which also have been provided by this forum) they have considered c.a 640av2 better amp. than nad 320bee. That why I have decided to have c.a 640av2 though I have not auditioned this.

I have approached a agent named Fx entertainment for ca amp. And he has suggested the following combination

Cambridge audio 640av2.0 (amp.) ( 23k)
Mordaunt short avant 906i (23k) or mordaunt short avant 908i (33k) (speakers)
Cambridge audio 540cv2(18k) or cambridge audio 340cv2 (14k) (cd player)

Now I want your expert advice for the following: -

1. is this combination ok.
2. is there any other speakers that is suitable for ca640a (I like floor stading)
3. is really ca640av2 better that nad
4. is it necessary to have cd player or can I skip this right now actually I am having Philips dvd player will it work fine with this amp. or I will have to compromise on sound quality.
5. can any one suggest any other dealer in delhi. Actually in delhi it is hard to find a dealer or have audition. Because mostly dealers have been closed their shop due to sealing.

waiting for your kind reply.

Thank in advance for you kind reply.

hi Raj,

I auditioned quad floorstanders priced at 35k and they sounded awesome. the other option you consider is :

quad (one at 35 k if u want i will get the model no.)
wharfedale diamond 9.5
sonodyne sonus 2605
Yamaha NS555
Jamo S708 or D590

these are all floorstanders and you can also check out PSB speakers.

Happy Hunting :)

Vivek

Raj,

IMHO, you have hit the bullseye! Just go ahead straight and indulge in the combo below.

Cambridge audio 640A v2.0
Mordaunt short avant 908i
Cambridge audio 640C v2

The only change I suggested from your initial shortlist is the CD player. I believe 640C v2 will do justice to your investment because the philips DVD player will just kill the whole idea of a quality budget HiFi you are looking for. Plus, 640cV2 comes with 2 DACs, one for each channel, compared to the other models mentioned.

All the best.

thanks unleash & vivek for your prompt reply.

you have given me confidence in ca products BTW there is one more option for spk i.e. MONITRER AUDIO BR 5 actually what hi fi considered it very high and given it 5 strar rating.
have you auditioned br5. in delhi it is hard to find a dealers for hi end audio.

Hi this is raj from Delhi

I want to have a nice stereo set up and my budget is 60k 5% less or more and i wish to have full worth of it as it is one time investment. and i want your expert advise.

Through this forum I came to know that there is two best entry level amp. i.e. NAD 320BEE and
CAMBRIDGE AUDIO 640AV2.0 actually the review conducted by what Hi Fi (which also have been provided by this forum) they have considered c.a 640av2 better amp. than nad 320bee. That why I have decided to have c.a 640av2 though I have not auditioned this.

I have approached a agent named Fx entertainment for ca amp. And he has suggested the following combination

Cambridge audio 640av2.0 (amp.) ( 23k)
Mordaunt short avant 906i (23k) or mordaunt short avant 908i (33k) (speakers)
Cambridge audio 540cv2(18k) or cambridge audio 340cv2 (14k) (cd player)

Now I want your expert advice for the following: -

1. is this combination ok.
2. is there any other speakers that is suitable for ca640a (I like floor stading)
3. is really ca640av2 better that nad
4. is it necessary to have cd player or can I skip this right now actually I am having Philips dvd player will it work fine with this amp. or I will have to compromise on sound quality.
5. can any one suggest any other dealer in delhi. Actually in delhi it is hard to find a dealer or have audition. Because mostly dealers have been closed their shop due to sealing.

waiting for your kind reply.

Thank in advance for you kind reply.

Hi raj,

I know CA products are rated great budget components but are they better than the Nad 320 BEE i would not say. Both are very different amps tonally and its for ur ears to decide. A few of my friends here in mumbai have CA amps with various speakers. Two of them had their amps clipping regularly at higher volumes.(obviously these amps cant hand difficult speaker loads). But if u do want CA then the earlier dealer(SOUNDSMITHS in Mumbai) has them at discounted prices as the dealers now are FX entertainment. I would buy the Nad C352 for about 25000\-. Its 80 watts and a stable amp which will last u for years.

As regards a dedicated CD player its obvious it will perform better than a DVD player because its designed for that purpose i.e stereo but that depends on ur budget and u can always buy one later as this upgrade bug always bites.

As for speakers its a very personal thing. By that i mean u wont like the speakers i do and everyone has a different opinion. In PSB the image 45 is a good speaker, the Quad tower is decent too but i am a total B&W fan so i would only suggest u hear them. Also hear the dyna audio entry level series. Very different from the B&W but good too.

Lastly i know one is tempted to buy floor standers over stand mounts but unless u have the room for them and can place them properly they can easily be bettered by a similarly priced stand mount speaker so choose wisely.

Hope this helps

Regards

Last edited:
thanks unleash & vivek for your prompt reply.

you have given me confidence in ca products BTW there is one more option for spk i.e. MONITRER AUDIO BR 5 actually what hi fi considered it very high and given it 5 strar rating.
have you auditioned br5. in delhi it is hard to find a dealers for hi end audio.

Raj, I have heard MA-BR5, they are meaty floor standers for sure. But finding quality hifi is all about synergy in my openion. I find the MS/CA package better sounding to my ears than the BR5. Try auditioning both, and listen to your ears. I'm sure you will make your choice!

best regards.

HI Raj,

My BR5s just came in yesterday.... Its a pain to get decent Hi-Fi stuff in Delhi so I had to order them from Chennai.

I have to hook it up to my old Onkyo TX 8211 stero amp... not sure if this combo will do full justice to the BR'5 but atleast I will know how the speakers are doing. Will let you know over the weekend.

Lastly i know one is tempted to buy floor standers over stand mounts but unless u have the room for them and can place them properly they can easily be bettered by a similarly priced stand mount speaker so choose wisely.

Agree fully with dinyaar on this....though now that you have the MA BR5 its irrelevant....however I would say that the CA combo is very attractive....being a CA owner myself...but I would urge u to demo the electronics with your speakers....I am sure fx entertainment can arrange that....they are very nice that way...all the best:)

Listen to all suggestions but hear the various combos yourself.
Speaker tonality is a very personal thing so be sure of that the first of all.
While you're at it, I strongly suggest that you listen to the Lyrita Valve Amp & single driver spkr set up also-you can talk to Viren Bakshi, 011-4140 1143 for a thorough demo.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back