stereo setup for 20k

lavinachtani

I am looking to buy a stereo setup for my parent's room. They listen mostly to old hindi bollywood songs ( kishore kumar, mohammed rafi etc. ). I don"t know how to describe but my parents love clean natural sweet sound as opposed to something with a lot of bass. They don't like heavy bass. Just moderate enough. For example back in the days we bought a kenwood system for its sweet/ clean sound as opposed to akai/aiwa/sony which were not as clear sounding. I am looking to buy bookshelves because of limited space.

My budget is around 15-20k. I read around on the website and i saw norge audio and dnm audio have got good reviews. I also read about Swans speakers and they seem to have very good reviews everywhere and have that crystal clear sound according to the reviews. So what will be a good buy ? Swans m200mkii which are active bookshelves or any amp+bookshelf speakers setup from dnm audio/ norge. Or is there anything else i should consider?

I will not be adding/ upgrading the setup in the future at all so i need the best i can get today in my budget. Also budget cannot be increased. 20k is the max.

Thanks

Norge 2060 + wharfdale 9.2 or 9.1 (try resale) this will be best

Norge 2060 + Polk tsi100 not auditioned but should sound good

and this is from one of the FM
Play It Clear: Ultra Budget Stereo - NuForce Icon uDAC + Topping TP20 + Cambridge Audio S30

I tried searching for polk audio speakers but i can't find them anywhere. One shopkeeper told me that they are out of stock and that there are supply problems from polk so i am not able to listen to them anywhere. Also wharfedale/polk seem to go a bit over my budget. My dad is strictly against buying anything second hand and brand new these will go way over my budget.

In mumbai which shops are there that i could go to for a few auditions? I know a few stores but they all keep high-end audio with starting range above 30k.

How are norge's bookshelf speakers? And how is dnm?

If you are looking for vintage stuff I have some good used stuff for sale some good combos of speakers - amps
I have relativemodern Pulz bookshelfs fing priceor ale too at tempt

get the DNM speakers that were auditoned on the mumbai meet and a norge 20** amp sir
My favorite pic on a 20k budget

never heard anything better

the only other route is pre owned

You know as the speakers get more expensive, in general they tend to sound less boom bassy and more clean.
This is the exact sound you are looking for.

In my opinion go for Active powered speaker route like Swans or Audioengine.
It will work out to be more hassle free and perhaps even cheaper.

If you are looking for vintage stuff I have some good used stuff for sale some good combos of speakers - amps
I have relativemodern Pulz bookshelfs fing priceor ale too at tempt

What setup do you have? I personally would not mind but my dad is strictly against anything second hand and considering that this is for his room i doubt he will go for it.

Now i am kinda confused. The norge 2060 amp is for Rs.9500. So that leaves Rs.11,500 for speakers. How much are the wharfedales and cambridge for? And where can i get them in mumbai? Or will the norge bookshelves be better than these two? I will check dnm audio for their speakers and amp.

I was more inclined towards buying swans because it is less wiring but that is not a priority. Priority is towards sound. Is amp+speakers better considering i will not be upgrading the setup at all?

What setup do you have? I personally would not mind but my dad is strictly against anything second hand and considering that this is for his room i doubt he will go for it.

Now i am kinda confused. The norge 2060 amp is for Rs.9500. So that leaves Rs.11,500 for speakers. How much are the wharfedales and cambridge for? And where can i get them in mumbai? Or will the norge bookshelves be better than these two? I will check dnm audio for their speakers and amp.

I was more inclined towards buying swans because it is less wiring but that is not a priority. Priority is towards sound. Is amp+speakers better considering i will not be upgrading the setup at all?

As you are from mumbai, why don't you go and audition norge !!!

For speakers for 10K, you can look @ Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS....You may also consider their stereo integrated amplifier SiA 310 for around 11K...

Pretty simple & should do the task pretty well...

i suggest you to buy JBL onbeat xtreme.. it`s price is around 18-19k.. it is very compact and sounds equal with some seperate amp and speakers combo... deep bass,clear vocal , and treble..

and it is very compact and bluetooth option too.. you can use it with ipod also..

dont underestimate its size..

it`s sound is more than enough big sound for the room upto 10*12 ft..

definetly its better for your parents..

its bass is like from mini subwoofer..

-suresh babu

For speakers for 10K, you can look @ Sonodyne Sonus 1501 BS....You may also consider their stereo integrated amplifier SiA 310 for around 11K...

In fact, if you are open to buying used components, FM baijuxavior was selling his sonodyne amplifier for Rs 8K (please check the 'for sale' section of the forum). So combine that with a new sonus bookshelf and you are set to go for under Rs 20K.

Last edited:
Assuming that your parents are not audipohile and they store their media in Ipod or a bluetooth enabled device (say tablet or media player), a simple set up could work for you - a Bose Sound Dock II (16K) plus generic bluetooth stereo adapter (which sits on the ipod slot) for another 1K. Using bluetooth they would be in control of the music/ playlists/ volume/ sleep, etc. wirelessly from their bed/ couch and the Bose system has small footprint, elegant aesthetics (available in color choices), decent sound and Bose has a sort of perceived brand recognition. Your parents can also carry it with them when they travel somewhere (since it is just the set and adapter). Alternately, they can also plug an ipod in the slot and use the Bose remote to control the volume, track forward/ reverse, ON/OFF.

P.S. - I use this set up in guest room and works fine for me. Note that the above set up would work with almost any ipod dock speakers (not only Bose).

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back