Stereo setup suggestions

dextrostar

I am looking to improve SQ while streaming tidal via HEOS in an entry level Marantz AVR with a Crown PA. I play using phone or ipad.

I want to remove the AVR out of the picture for stereo listening and use the Crown with a pre/DAC/streamer.

With a max budget of 30-35k am I going to get a better SQ say with Topping d50s as compared to current setup?
I want to be able to utilise the MQA option for Tidal.

Plz advise

hi @dextrostar

I have done something similar to what you want, but for fraction of the cost what you have budget for.
I got a FX Audio Tube-03 Tube pre amp for 5K to directly connect the Crown XLS and also got a switch box.
What it actually did is I could use the same set of speakers and crown for both Stereo listening and HT purpose.
You can refer to the below thread.

Coming to the DAC I built my Own RPI streamer based on Linage OS (Android OS), sounds very good to my ears. I can play Tidal at 24/88-96khz or Apple Music at 24/192khz. This won't be comparable to the Topping or higher end DAC's but under 8k this was worth it. You can read the same below.

I even tried getting Yamaha WXC 50 to be used as Pre Amp but the soundstage and dynamics everything was small compared to the mere 5k Tube Pre Amp. I was shocked, I returned it.

Just to summerize this is how my chain is:
RPi Streamer cum DAC > FX Audio Tube 03 > Switchbox > Power Amp > Speakers
AVR Sources > AVR > Switchbox > Power Amp > Speakers

With the Topping D50s you will have to add a streamer or some source, what are you looking at?
What speakers are you going to use?

Last edited:
hi @dextrostar

I have done something similar to what you want, but for fraction of the cost what you have budget for.
I got a FX Audio Tube-03 Tube pre amp for 5K to directly connect the Crown XLS and also got a switch box.
What it actually did is I could use the same set of speakers and crown for both Stereo listening and HT purpose.
You can refer to the below thread.

Coming to the DAC I built my Own RPI streamer based on Linage OS (Android OS), sounds very good to my ears. I can play Tidal at 24/88-96khz or Apple Music at 24/192khz. This won't be comparable to the Topping or higher end DAC's but under 8k this was worth it. You can read the same below.

I even tried getting Yamaha WXC 50 to be used as Pre Amp but the soundstage and dynamics everything was small compared to the mere 5k Tube Pre Amp. I was shocked, I returned it.

Just to summerize this is how my chain is:
RPi Streamer cum DAC > FX Audio Tube 03 > Switchbox > Power Amp > Speakers
AVR Sources > AVR > Switchbox > Power Amp > Speakers

With the Topping D50s you will have to add a streamer or some source, what are you looking at?
What speakers are you going to use?
Very helpful. I will keep this option in mind.
For convenience I was planning to stream from phone via bluetooth as it has aptXHD.
Later add a streamer when budget allows.

I had given a thought about RPi route but wanted to keep a simple chain.

Looks like for the level of DAC I am expecting this budget won't suffice for a streamer.
Mine are Dali Speakers.

Thanks for your inputs

Very helpful. I will keep this option in mind.
For convenience I was planning to stream from phone via bluetooth as it has aptXHD.
Later add a streamer when budget allows.

I had given a thought about RPi route but wanted to keep a simple chain.

Looks like for the level of DAC I am expecting this budget won't suffice for a streamer.
Mine are Dali Speakers.

Thanks for your inputs

Oh, then you can get the Topping D50s as a Pre Amp cum DAC, use the AptXHD for now and later get a RPi and throw in Volumio.
The RPi can be connected to Topping D50 via USB. Many people have done this.

But would advice get the Input switcher which will save your time in swapping wires and inputs.

Oh, then you can get the Topping D50s as a Pre Amp cum DAC, use the AptXHD for now and later get a RPi and throw in Volumio.
The RPi can be connected to Topping D50 via USB. Many people have done this.

But would advice get the Input switcher which will save your time in swapping wires and inputs.
RPi route is too complicated for me as am not technically inclined.
However I also don't want to miss out the MQA option which now I see D50s doesn't have.
Can't we use that FX audio tube pre and use the AVR as Dac/streamer?

RPi route is too complicated for me as am not technically inclined.
However I also don't want to miss out the MQA option which now I see D50s doesn't have.
Can't we use that FX audio tube pre and use the AVR as Dac/streamer?

RPi is super simple to be honest, you just download volumio and install it on a SD card mount it on RPi. Tons of videos available online. Trust me, even I thought it is complicated but it is easy.

Don't fall into the MQA trap, Tidal does upto 88/96khz. A good recorded song will sound amazing even at 16/44khz. Lot of debate on MQA is good or bad.
Normal Tidal lossless tier is more than enough. People are happy even with Spotify which doesn't do lossless.

You cannot use AVR and Tube Pre as it will go through 2 Pre amp sections.

RPi is super simple to be honest, you just download volumio and install it on a SD card mount it on RPi. Tons of videos available online. Trust me, even I thought it is complicated but it is easy.

Don't fall into the MQA trap, Tidal does upto 88/96khz. A good recorded song will sound amazing even at 16/44khz. Lot of debate on MQA is good or bad.
Normal Tidal lossless tier is more than enough. People are happy even with Spotify which doesn't do lossless.

You cannot use AVR and Tube Pre as it will go through 2 Pre amp sections.
Yes I did read much about the MQA debate.
Feels like I am missing out on something for which I am paying and tidal pushes MQA too much.
So if I go with the tube pre and find just a DAC with Bluetooth and keep the Rpi for later upgrade then won't that be a better upgrade path SQ wise?

Feels like I am missing out on something for which I am paying and tidal pushes MQA too much.
So if I go with the tube pre and find just a DAC with Bluetooth and keep the Rpi for later upgrade then won't that be a better upgrade path SQ wise?
Ifi zen signature V2 was a good bet but it lacks bluetooth.
Smsl su8 is great but beyond budget.

You won't even need a tube pre in the chain. Something like Topping D50s would make sense also use bluetooth with it and later upgrade RPi.
The Topping will act like a Pre Amp too.

Chain would look like:
Topping D50s > Crown > Dali

You can even use a laptop instead of RPi for time being and stream Tidal from it.

Later add RPi:
RPi > Topping D50s > Crown > Dali

Just to try out the Tube sound you can get a tube pre amp later on, trust me for that value it is really good.

Adding One more thing,
Just yesterday a friend gave me his LG v30+ smartphone, apparently these LG phones come with Quad DACs.

I directly connected the phone to the Power Amp.
They sound really good, so good that I found it to be better than Yamaha WXC 50 but it might be my chain.

If you are open to using phones, I would seriously test out one of the below phones.

1634925115030.png

You won't even need a tube pre in the chain. Something like Topping D50s would make sense also use bluetooth with it and later upgrade RPi.
The Topping will act like a Pre Amp too.

Chain would look like:
Topping D50s > Crown > Dali

You can even use a laptop instead of RPi for time being and stream Tidal from it.

Later add RPi:
RPi > Topping D50s > Crown > Dali

Just to try out the Tube sound you can get a tube pre amp later on, trust me for that value it is really good.
Yes let's keep tube for future.
Let's first experience what an AVR can't provide.
I just realised my OnePlus 8 doesn't support ldac which is apparently better than AptXHD.

Let me spend this weekend going over few options before deciding.
I wish I could stretch to get the bluesound node 2 which would be the best as it has tidal connect with MQA support.
Also that will keep open upgrade path for better external DAC.
You can't get what you want sometimes.

Adding One more thing,
Just yesterday a friend gave me his LG v30+ smartphone, apparently these LG phones come with Quad DACs.

I directly connected the phone to the Power Amp.
They sound really good, so good that I found it to be better than Yamaha WXC 50 but it might be my chain.

If you are open to using phones, I would seriously test out one of the below phones.

View attachment 63314
Yeah thanks for giving the option but I don't wanna go down that road

Lot of Soncoz owners have modded their units to swap the opamps and are very happy with the level they have scaled. Well worth a shot IMO :)

Are you using it?
Can you share your chain.
I am part of a close knit audiophile community in Bangalore, we keep trying a lot of gear and share opinions. The consensus is that Soncoz is one of the best implementations of the ESS SABRE chip(this is also corroborated by a few impressions I have read online) without having the infamous ESS GLARE.

My personal Chain/Equipment is this :
DAC - Topping D50
Speakers - Mackies MR524 pair with MRS10 sub

I am part of a close knit audiophile community in Bangalore, we keep trying a lot of gear and share opinions. The consensus is that Soncoz is one of the best implementations of the ESS SABRE chip(this is also corroborated by a few impressions I have read online) without having the infamous ESS GLARE.

My personal Chain/Equipment is this :
DAC - Topping D50
Speakers - Mackies MR524 pair with MRS10 sub
Wow nice lucky you.
Powered speaker makes a chain very simple.
Just a piece as DAC and then add pre and streamer will make a complicated chain which I don't want.
But came to know about a lesser known performance piece thanks to you.

Lot of Soncoz owners have modded their units to swap the opamps and are very happy with the level they have scaled. Well worth a shot IMO :)
One to keep in mind for future.
Can't get a complicated chain for a first timer into stereo setup.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back