Stereo setup under 30k

Toirarmy

Hi,
What is the ideal music setup for a 300 sqft room under 30k ?
It will only be used to listen to western classical (chamber) music.
Please factor in all the components since i have nothing at the moment other than a laptop which i want to use as a source.

Hi,
What is the ideal music setup for a 300 sqft room under 30k ?
It will only be used to listen to western classical (chamber) music.
Please factor in all the components since i have nothing at the moment other than a laptop which i want to use as a source.

If you want to use laptop then you need DAC+AMP+SPEAKER in chain.
for the said budget you can gor for used component, check for sale section
my recommendation would be-
Speaker you can go for DALI Zensor1
amplifier -Norge
for DAC either use your internal DAC of Laptop or buy external(for that you have to increase budget).

for speakers you can look at wharfedale diamonds as well. the bose 301s are also pretty good. a good budget amp will be norge. you will need a dac as well. you may need to push your budget up a bit to get the dac

a not much discussed gem is the Polk TSx 220b -16K range ..Couple it with a Sonodyne Sia320

Having heard the Yamaha HS-8 studio monitors extensively, I am quite confident the smaller HS-5 model will be a nice place to start for you. It should be well within your budget too. Stands to support the speakers will be another 7k or so. You are looking at around 37-40k tops.

Having heard the Yamaha HS-8 studio monitors extensively, I am quite confident the smaller HS-5 model will be a nice place to start for you. It should be well within your budget too. Stands to support the speakers will be another 7k or so. You are looking at around 37-40k tops.

Yes. Yamaha should be excellent.

You can also consider Swan speakers if you want a warm sound. Yamaha will be better/more neutral.

Since at this price it will be difficult to get into proper hifi territory, the best bet would be to either
- wait and save upto Rs 50k before you buy them all, OR
- start buying components which will eventually add up to a total bill of 50k or more, OR
- buy used, OR
- buy wireless bluetooth active speakers like Cambridge Audio Minx GO, OR
- try out various sets of usb dac + headphones while you understand more about hifi music (which will help a lot in assembling a good setup eventually) and while you figure out your own preferences as to what KIND of hifi music you like (this will also help you assemble a system tailored to you, plus you get to know yourself). Bonus - you will launch into a journey that you did not even know exists. :)

Norge 2060 - 10K, FiiO Q1 DAC - 4,600. Wharfdale Bookshelf (on Hifimart) going at 15 to 20 K. Approx 30 to 35 K you can make a decent one. Include connectors extra.

Thank you for all the replies! I have decided and save up about 50k as suggested by humbelbee. I already have have decent headphones(audio technica ath-m50x) but never really got a DAC. Will get one soon .So to assemble a 50k stero system can i get like one speaker initially and listen mono and then buy another one to get it to stereo. That way i can have a decent system and still listen to music initially . So at 50k i guess the yamaha HS-5 are the best bet ? Since i require neutral the most as i listen to only western classical music .

If you are going to go the active way then consider Swans M200 and a decent DAC.
Swans are nice, I have them in the bedroom and with a DAC they do have the potential to sound very nice.

@OP you can look at the audio engine d1 for the dac, if someone can get it from the US, even better. But remember that USB powered dacs can't really push out full line voltage. And are also not very good to drive hard to drive headphones, m50 should be fine though (38ohms acc to the interwebs). But still for the money, it is a really good dac, best part is, you can pair it up with a poweramp as the volume control on the dac allows it to be used as a pre-amp (somewhat, don't kill me for this veterans, I know it's not a pre amp :p). But, still it's a really good dac, specially if you choose to go the active speakers way. Reason being, you can put the dac on your desk and max out the windows and the dac volume, then set your speaker's volume to the max you would ever want to be. And you have fixed one of the most irritating thing about active monitors (most of them have the volume at the back, plus when you have two, you have to adjust both), this way you can control it from the desk with the dac. Just my two cents (paise) :p. Hope this helps, I am a no pro though, only a semi noob :D.

*question to op, does your laptop/computer have s/pdif out?

Thank you for all the replies! I have decided and save up about 50k as suggested by humbelbee. I already have have decent headphones(audio technica ath-m50x) but never really got a DAC. Will get one soon .So to assemble a 50k stero system can i get like one speaker initially and listen mono and then buy another one to get it to stereo. That way i can have a decent system and still listen to music initially . So at 50k i guess the yamaha HS-5 are the best bet ? Since i require neutral the most as i listen to only western classical music .

If you like your headphones, get a Schiit Stack and you are done for the time being.
Schiit Modi 2 (or Uber) --> Schiit Magni 2 (or Uber) --> Headphones
If someone can carry it from US, the price is $200-$300.
If you go for Magni 2 Uber, later add a pair of active speakers and you have a decent desktop system.
With music playing from PC, you get to define what is neutral.

Cheers,
Raghu

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back