Stereo speaker options requred. Please!

arhantd

I am sorry i am continuing my post here, because this seems to be the right section for it. And i really would like to get some suggestions.

I am looking for a Fun, happy stereo setup used 90% for music and 10% for movies.

I am no audiophile. I am looking for speakers that sound good and can make even slightly bad recordings sound good. Sort of music lovers setup, a parallel from what an audiophile might look for.

My budget is a decent 5 L and i need to short list companies to audition.
I need accompanying amp recommendations as well.

So please suggest stereo setup for just love of music and not audiophile transparency and neutrality. Something that is an all rounder!

I know all of you have better things to do than help me out but any time sparred will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

My original post is here.

Here's some that come to mind along with where you might be able to listen them:
Rethm - Cochin/Bangalore
Harbeth - Bangalore
Dynaudio Confidence - use to be Mumbai
Usher - Bangalore
Blumhenofer - Bangalore
ATC- Bangalore/ Chennai
PMC - Mumbai (limited range)
Vandersteen - Mumbai (limited range)
Thiel - Chennai/Hyderabad

If you are planning on speakers of that quality, you will need to pay careful attention to the source and amp as well.

edit. quite a few of these wont work well with bad recordings. particularly, the more neutrally oriented speakers like ATC, Thiel. make sure you carry your own recordings for demo

Hi arhantd

How large is the room? What kind of music do you primarily listen to?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The room is about 20' by 25' roughly.

I listen to a mix of everything generally from bollywood, gazals, old song, english rock and hip hop and some electronic. Just no classical.

So. I have been recommended these auditions and i plan to visit bbay for a couple of days to see what i find. Bangalore definitely looks worth it, i will have to try to make that.

But what i really want to know is in that in your more experienced opinion which speakers or speaker brands are more on the warm/musical side.
Like Sonus faber Cremonas are known to be really sweet, musical and warm if pairered correctly.

Also another question would be can the amp choice make a relative neutral or transparent speaker warm and musical???

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The room is about 20' by 25' roughly.

I listen to a mix of everything generally from bollywood, gazals, old song, english rock and hip hop and some electronic. Just no classical.

So. I have been recommended these auditions and i plan to visit bbay for a couple of days to see what i find. Bangalore definitely looks worth it, i will have to try to make that.

But what i really want to know is in that in your more experienced opinion which speakers or speaker brands are more on the warm/musical side.
Like Sonus faber Cremonas are known to be really sweet, musical and warm if pairered correctly.

Also another question would be can the amp choice make a relative neutral or transparent speaker warm and musical???
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As suggested by Flash..Go for Cadence. If you are NOT audiophile, you will become audiophile!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup: (1) ONKYO-HTS3300 / Xtreamer / Samsung 32LED (2) DENON PMA-510AE / Paradigm Titan Monitors /PC- Xonar Essence STX

So far i am looking to go bombay and audition - Vandersteen, Emerald Physics, Thiel, Gallo and MA GXseries.
Now will also try and audition Cadence on strong recommendation.

Blumenhofer has also been strongly recommended by square_wave and specially they seem to available at a great price, so will have to arrange for an audition.

Someone in Jaipur suggested Legacy audio? Any opinions? Musical?

Hi Arhantd

For your kind of music Rethm Saadhanas with their tube amp could be an option. Harbeth with Leben is another option. Cadence Arcas another one. All 3 sound very different. Maggies also would be a good bet

if you consider pre owned route
You can have a really good setup in that budget

there is a lot of gear with good owners thats on the market

jaipur..
there is a mind blowing Tidal setup in that city ( dont know if youve heard it )

Thanks everybody for the suggestions.

Can Rethm and Cadence be auditioned in Bombay or delhi? If anyone has an idea please let me know.

Will also look at MA Platinum.

Have heard the Tidals here, a friend owns them. Awesome stuff but way out of budget!!!
He has used Magnepans lying that he used for a couple of months so i am trying to see if he will part with them!

Legacy speakers are available with Mumbai dealer (in Laxmi Industrial Estate, Andheri West). The name of this dealer eludes me, but I can dig out their visiting card (a Mr Srivastava, IIRC). Dealer is the same folks who deal in Parasound amps and Definitive Audio speakers.

Audire in Coimbatore also has some serious speakers you may like to consider. For your budget, you should be able to get a serious pair of speakers. But do start thinking in terms of amplication, source and interconnect/speaker cables too. Synergy of the parts is so important, I can't over-emphasise it.

The best place to listen to Cadence would be in their Pune factory. Prior appointment (with Amba) would be required so that they can make arrangements. Your stated budget can buy you an Arca. Pair that to the Canasya monoblocks for sonic heaven. At a much lower outlay you can get Amayas and VA1s (which, IMHO, is a damned fine pairing)..

Rethm - Lakozy in Marine Drive was supposed to start stocking them. I don't know if this has happened. Folks who live close to, or in Marine Drive, may be able to confirm.

The best place to listen to Cadence would be in their Pune factory. Prior appointment (with Amba) would be required so that they can make arrangements. Your stated budget can buy you an Arca. Pair that to the Canasya monoblocks for sonic heaven. At a much lower outlay you can get Amayas and VA1s (which, IMHO, is a damned fine pairing)..

Rethm - Lakozy in Marine Drive was supposed to start stocking them. I don't know if this has happened. Folks who live close to, or in Marine Drive, may be able to confirm.

If you listen to any kind of rock, the cadence electrostats won't work. Their voicing is more suited to classical and smooth jazz.

Since your tastes are quite varied, look for ATC, Blumenhofer, Dynaudio and similar speakers. Actually maggies do rock pretty well too.

In your budget, you should also listen to Emerald Physics. They are very nice speakers.

I checked with them on this a couple of weeks back. They said they had no plans of adding Rethm products to their lineup.

If you listen to any kind of rock, the cadence electrostats won't work. Their voicing is more suited to classical and smooth jazz.

Since your tastes are quite varied, look for ATC, Blumenhofer, Dynaudio and similar speakers. Actually maggies do rock pretty well too.

In your budget, you should also listen to Emerald Physics. They are very nice speakers.

At least I like listening to rock and hard rock on my Cadence. Perhaps it doesn't have the bass slam of, say a Thiel 2.4 or B&W 801, but it does have sufficient slam. At least for my taste. Especially I changed my amplification to solid state. When I was running a tube-FET hybrid power amp, yes, low freq extension wasn't good enough.

I agree about the ES speakers. Esp the CS2.7 with their dual 15 inch woofers. But needs bi-amping and that may be a dampener for some. And both amps better be good:)

Dear Friends

Thanks for all the recommendations.
It seems i would have to do a four day trip to Bombay just to give all these an audition.

But once again, i am looking for a setup that does justice to MP3 formats also along with the good quality recordings and cds. I am not sure if some of these speakers i have shortlisted will be able to do justice to a 320kpbs MP3 file. :)

Keeping that in mind would u still suggest these speakers?

Side Note:
I happened to hear a B&O Beolab 9 yesterday in Jaipur and all prejudices aside found it to be quite nice. The sound stage was good, the musicality was also very good. Dont really know what they cost. But no audiophile likesthem, as with Bose but to my ears they were pretty good.

Also what i have been reading and i will test out while auditioning is that the equipment can also make a lot of difference in the colouration of the sound. like use of Tube Amps might add warmth to a setup or use of a certain CD/Media player might make the MP3 more enjoyable of a serious setup.

It seems i have to do extensive auditioning with different sources and different quality of files and CDs.
Project!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back