Stereo Speaker Placement-An Experience

himadri

After upgrading my speakers from Definitive technology BP7004 to Usher Mini Dancer1 in a 12x14 feet room, I faced a typical problem. When I located the speakers in the earlier location of the Deftechs ,(along the short wall -2 feet from the back wall and 3 feet from the side wall ) they introduced a lot of boom in the bass. The Deftechs had a subwoofer level control ( they had internal subwoofer amplifiers), which helped in managing the bass, but the 2 way ushers were absolutely dependent on room placement.
My study of room placement literature and also the usher manual resulted in a lot of experimentation over the period of more then 2 months which proceeded as follows. The main idea was to avoid costly room treatment as far as possible:
1)Usher speaker placement guide http://usheraudiousa.com/files/Speaker_Placement_r3.pdf
The rule of thirds was not possible due to the small room size and the rule of fifths resulted in speakers being located near the corners which increased the boom.
2)The audio physic method
[audio physic] - no loss of fine detail
Various unequal sidewall and backwall distances were experimented with but generally good bass was observed by bringing out the speakers almost in the centre of the room for which the WAF was very low.
3) The WASP method
WASP: speakers placement [English]
Somehow due to the smaller room size probably, it was not possible to identify the zone of neutrality as given in the wasp method in the room so easily.
4)Nordost speaker placement based on audio arithmetic worked somewhat but was not entirely satisfactory.
http://www.nordost.com/Downloads/Speaker Placement.pdf
5)Stereophile golden ratios were more suitable for bigger rooms.
Getting the Best from Your Loudspeakers | Stereophile.com
6) The following placement system also gave me a lot of input in the process.
http://www.immediasound.com/Speaker set-up 2009.pdf
7) Near field placement was also a good option.
Nearfield Two Channel Stereo Speaker Placement - nsmaudio.com
8)One of the best articles available:
Hifi Books | AVguide
9) Finally the placement that worked giving an even frequency response
Cardas Audio
The speakers were 39 from the side wall, 64from back wall with the same distance between them and the listening location formed by an equilateral triangle.
Some soft padding under the carpet and bean bags in the 2 corners behind the speakers rounded off the placement.
At present , this is working for my system but the various alternatives may work well for other rooms.
Cheers

Hi
Im based in Chattisgarh. Swing? Wow, is it a swinging listening couch?:)
cheers

i know what is meaning that got for that!

one inch this way and that, and the listner is talking like what you are talking bulfulshit - but after one inch thataway the same man/mam is telling youare genius, what beuatiful system can this be and are you god of the music?

good for luck and enjoy

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back