Stereo speaker placement for optimum sound

The reason I go for FS to Stereo is. it will not create the above mentioned issues most probably, also I may not be forced to go for Sub and even I need, may go later as FS can handle LF. By this I may have almost a neat stereo setup, which I prefer,

With a floorstander, you might not need a sub for music but for movies, you definitely will need a sub, floorstanders or bookshelfs it will not matter.

As you mentioned, if I use BS for HT, LFE will be managed by Sub through AVR setup [ Though not an audiophile, this is what I understood so far ]

LFE and frequencies below the crossover will be managed by the sub even with floorstanders. So, practically, there is no additional advantage of having bookshelves when you already have floorstanders.

Please see my replies above. Your biggest problem will be floorstander placement for pure stereo with an integrated amp. Floorstanders for HT will be managed by the receiver.

Please see my replies above. Your biggest problem will be floorstander placement for pure stereo with an integrated amp. Floorstanders for HT will be managed by the receiver.
Sure will consider

Probably, I would go for first Stereo setup with a FS / BS with IA [ Marantz PM 8006 + DAC ]

Later , when I go for HT setup, I would consider either the above setup or HT Bypass [ If it doesn't affect my music listening to a greater extent ]

@SiR
Do you have friends or family who can buy and carry stuff to India?
Cheers,
Raghu

Yes Raghu,

I'm considering that route too, but Covid is a big hindrance till now

Placing on cabinets sometimes introduce unwanted resonance, even if they are stable.
Been there and experienced it, not nice. Keep this in mind.

Cheers,
Raghu
Most of the time the edge of cabinets are stable but the middle non supportive portions “sing” with bass and act as a new source although quite lower in loudness, yet annoying us. I had acoustic foams on top of mine and it solved this issue to some extent but dedicated inert stands transforms the experience to another level

Another example for a BS used with a Desktop Speaker stand

That is a Sound Anchor Speaker Stand

Does it make a difference if the spikes are placed upside down? Then they poke into the base of the speaker not

Does it make a difference if the spikes are placed upside down? Then they poke into the base of the speaker not into the stand.
Haha..I never tried that :D

But there is a logical explanation why it might not be the best thing to do. A conventional spike is screwed into the base of the speaker to make a rigid point of contact to pass the vibrations. And when placed on the floor, the weight of the speaker, will ensure a rigid coupling of the spike to the floor. ( the point to bear here is the sharp point of the cone, where the weight is getting concentrated . It is theory of infinite presuure acting through a infintely small area )

When we invert the spike, since the cone is not screwed into the floor, it will not be as rigid as the above combination. As the weight of the speaker is getting distributed over a larger area of the cone.

A cup under the spike does something similar. These cups were designed to protect the non carpeted floorings. But when used on a solid flooring, they reduce the coupling of the spike to the floor. Some people like the sonic effects of this lowered coupling. And prefer this method ( i use cups under my speaker plinths to stop my down stairs tenant's false ceiling from vibrating :D). But since we are still talking hifi, there will always be that guy, who claims that a cup of gold, sounds superior to a cup of steel :D

I have seen cones under components like nordost cones etc, placed upside down. But these cones are made of wood and other non metallic composites, which do not transmit vibrations, and act as isolators. And not like the usual metal spikes, which are used as couplers.

Last edited:

Hi SiR

Haha..you should really read about SBIR on Google. The distance of the center of the bass driver from all boundaries ( back and side walls + floor and ceiling will result in bass cancellations). The closer the boundary is, the higher up the bass frequency range the cancellation is. By elevating a speaker from the cabinet, we are changing the cancellation frequency. Now depending on the other distances from walls etc, the shift in cancellation frequency in the bass due to increased height from the cabinet might be desirable or it might not be.

The above side, the stand will still either couple to the cabinet or will isolate the speaker from the cabinet, depending on what footers it has :)

P.S : but there are other benefits these stands can add as per their design. So I didn't include that part in my above reply, as it is again dependent on the design of the speaker. A stand designed for rigid cabinets will not work under lossy cabinets like harbeths etc. So some thinking has to go into deciding the stands as well.

Last edited:
Does it make a difference if the spikes are placed upside down? Then they poke into the base of the speaker not into the stand.
It's usually done with components not speakers. The idea of a spike is to couple to the floor and invsrting it will not do that. With a sharp one you might damage the speaker

My above reply seems to have come across as condescending speaker stands :D

But I honestly didn't mean it to come out that way :)

I have very poor and extremely data limited network access, so I can't see the video you had shared. And that is why all my recent replies seem to be typed in haste, without the usuall exchange of pleasantries :(
So I have to type and post my reply before I loose connection :(

But if you are keen on using stands, then get heavy, sand fillable stands with a custom top plate that you can bolt into the bottom of your speakers. ( provided the speakers have threaded nuts in the bottom ) - I got custom steel plinths from sound foundations for my speakers. The size and height were suggested by me as per my requirements. And they are very heavy at 30 kgs each, with solid steel footers with internal vibration damping via silica granules. They made a massive improvement in my case.

1. Now bolt the elacs tightly to the stand :
- this will increase the structural strength of the speaker. And reduce cabinet vibrations.
- since the speaker is tightly coupled to the stand, this will increase the mass of the speaker. There by lowering its resonant frequency. ( not all speakers might like the addition of lowered resonance, and might actually lead to loss of low bass )
- play with filling the stands with sand to increase the mass further and see how that goes. This will depend to how the speakers respond to bolting of the stand. If you loose low bass, then don't add any sand. As this will agrreviate the loss of bass further.

Now you can try playing with spikes or isolators under the stand. All the best :)

My above reply seems to have come across as condescending speaker stands :D

But I honestly didn't mean it to come out that way :)

I have very poor and extremely data limited network access, so I can't see the video you had shared. And that is why all my recent replies seem to be typed in haste, without the usuall exchange of pleasantries :(

But if you are keen on using stands, then get heavy, sand fillable stands with a custom top plate that you can bolt into the bottom of your speakers. ( provided the speakers have threaded nuts in the bottom ).

1. Now bolt the elacs tightly to the stand :
- this will increase the structural strength of the speaker. And reduce cabinet vibrations.
- since the speaker is tightly coupled to the stand, this will increase the mass of the speaker. There by lowering its resonant frequency. ( not all speakers might like the addition of lowered resonance, and might actually lead to loss of low bass )
- play with filling the stands with sand to increase the mass further and see how that goes. This will depend to how the speakers respond to bolting of the stand. If you loose low bass, then don't add any sand. As this will agrreviate the loss of bass further.

Now you can try playing with spikes or isolators under the stand. All the best :)

Chaala Santhoosham for the info :)

My understanding and reason for selecting a BS, with a Desktop Stand / Acoustic Foam on a rigid Console for HT is, the BS on the console will not get much Low frequency as LFE is managed by SUB by the settings in the AVR

I think when there is less possibility of Low Frequency to BS in a HT setup, more of High and Mid range freq are to be at the LCR speakers

So, the vibration / resonance will be less I believe

Pls correct me, if I'm not correct

Chaala Santhoosham for the info :)

My understanding and reason for selecting a BS, with a Desktop Stand / Acoustic Foam on a rigid Console for HT is, the BS on the console will not get much Low frequency as LFE is managed by SUB by the settings in the AVR

I think when there is less possibility of Low Frequency to BS in a HT setup, more of High and Mid range freq are to be at the LCR speakers

So, the vibration / resonance will be less I believe

Pls correct me, if I'm not correct
Haha..I missed the AVR part. You are spot on :D

You don't really need the stands in that case :)

Please see my replies above. Your biggest problem will be floor stander placement for pure stereo with an integrated amp. Floorstanders for HT will be managed by the receiver.

I can't understand what biggest problem will be in FS placements for pure stereo with IA ?

can u pls explain ?

I can't understand what biggest problem will be in FS placements for pure stereo with IA ?

can u pls explain ?
Correct. I was referring to the absence of room correction in stereo systems and also taking into consideration, the placement in your room having taken a look at the pics you have posted. Your right speaker will be very close to the wall and in a corner, if I am not mistaken. The amp you have chosen has tone controls, so that might help to an extent.

Correct. I was referring to the absence of room correction in stereo systems and also taking into consideration, the placement in your room having taken a look at the pics you have posted. Your right speaker will be very close to the wall and in a corner, if I am not mistaken. The amp you have chosen has tone controls, so that might help to an extent.

Thanks for the pic(k) reference

Yes, the right ide of the console has 26 inch from the side wall.

I can maintain at least 16 inch from the side wall and 20 inch from the back wall (depends on the speaker I select )

Selected PM8006 for Tone controls

IIRC the layout of the living room is sympathetic to left speaker (no corner), but not the right speaker (corner).
So depending on the number of LF drivers, geometry and size, you may experience some room boundaries.
Some towers have the LF driver at a lower position than others. So it'll be closer to the corner.
You may be able to get away with side wall reflection because of window/balcony door on the right.
But corner may still interfere. It is very hard to guess if it will happen, how bad, etc theoretically.
Tone controls may mitigate this, but not solve the issue.

If possible, try to borrow some local FMs setup and try it out.
Even if they are stand-mount speakers, different positions will give you a fair idea of how benign or troublesome the corner can be.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for the pic(k) reference

Yes, the right ide of the console has 26 inch from the side wall.

I can maintain at least 16 inch from the side wall and 20 inch from the back wall (depends on the speaker I select )

Selected PM8006 for Tone controls
For a tower, booming could occur. The distance might not be sufficient.
In the unfortunate event you have a booming issue, dialing down the Bass Control to mitigate it will end up fading the entire low frequency spectrum. Tone controls, controls a group of frequency bands together.

To tame this issue manually, your best bet is a 31 band graphic equaliser. This way you can only kill the suspecting frequency and not the entire low frequency range, like the Bass Tone Control would.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back