Stereo system for Listening Vinyls

Another doubt Malvai: Do you think buying a Lyrita Phono or a Nighthawk Phono will do justice to a entry level TT like the Technics 1300? or should I change the TT too in future.

Another doubt Malvai: Do you think buying a Lyrita Phono or a Nighthawk Phono will do justice to a entry level TT like the Technics 1300? or should I change the TT too in future.

The Technics SL 1300 is NOT a beginner level TT. I have owned it for many many years. then sold it to another forum member. In fact I grew up with that TT.

That TT is a younger sibling to the SL 1200. The 1200 was for DJ use. The 1300 almost as heavy, was meant for home use.

Apart from the 1200, 1210 and 1300 are great tables. The only other Technics table that is waaaaaaaaay better is SP10.

All other technics tables are mass market and inferior to the ones mentioned above.

The 1300 is as good as any table upto the 60k mark.

Don;t worry. Just buy a Lyrita or Nighthawk. It will mate very well with what you have and live upto TT's upto the 1-2L mark as well. That is my most sincere suggestion.

Speak to Viren. he is a darn good guy and will help you out as well.

heck I am listening to his Phono on a $10K TT+ ARM +Cart setup! and I am very happy with what i hear!

Last edited:
Malvai,

Did you pick up Viren's phonostage or just trying it out from someone else? Which tubes does it currently have?

regards

Malvai,

Did you pick up Viren's phonostage or just trying it out from someone else? Which tubes does it currently have?

regards

Stevie, virenji, lent me a phono (after tweaking the output to match the impedence requirements of my MC cart) so i can write a review for PFO. really generous of him.

I got it arounf the 20th of Jan. And have put it through the paces in the last 2 months. i have finished writing the review today. As i don not like putting pen to paper unless i am convinced from all angles.

The tubes that he has provided are:
Russian 6N2P (2 nos)
Tube buffer: NOS 5687
Tube rectifier: NOS 5Z4G

I believe hard core tubies like you call these the Sovtek's ;)

I like what i hear! and i have a feeling that with a bit of tube rolling, the sound could be even better.

Malvai,

ummm what's PFO? positive feedback is the closest but the O? My mind can't connect it with anything right now...:eek:

Well this hard core tubie would vastly prefer the NOS variety which takes the phonostage to another level altogether :). The Russian ones (for some reason I thought of em as Chinese) are more easily available and cheaper to buy spares, though I think he can equip the amp with a switch to accept ecc83s, which I think he's done for someone I forget where.

Changing the rectifier tube also changes the sound signature quite dramatically!

regards

Which puts me in the mood to roll out the Mullards and roll in perhaps the Siemens tomorrow! Clear as a bell pealing out it shall be!

If you're ever in Bangalore drop in for a tube rolling session.

Waiting for the review! Posting it here I hope?

Malvai,

ummm what's PFO? positive feedback is the closest but the O? My mind can't connect it with anything right now...:eek:

Thats the one! Positive Feedback Online...

and yes! i would definitely drop in and have a session with you, when in bangalore!

I like what i hear! and i have a feeling that with a bit of tube rolling, the sound could be even better.

Hi,

There is another tweek that improves the sound of this Phono stage.

In the final output stage of this Phono there are a pair of Russian K42 paper capacitors,(or CTR polys in older phonos) adding a .01 paper in oil Russian K40 capacitor as bypass improves the sound quality significantly.

I have spoken to Viren about this tweek .He has tried it and confirms my findings.

Members who have the Lyrita phono could talk to Viren about this and try it out.It is a simple job of soldering two capacitors.

I have ordered some .47 mfd and 1 mfd, K40 PIO caps and will be trying them out in place of the K42 caps,and with no bypass capacitor.

Tube rolling can tune the sound of the phono stage to ones taste.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back