Stereo system for Listening Vinyls

soundofmusic

Hi.
I was informed by a gentleman that the best speakers for listening to Vinyl is old 3 way speakers with 10 or 12 inch driver. According to him the low's are brought out well by a 10 inch rather then the 6 inches. Is it true.
The gentleman was having a Sansui amp with a Old Gudmans speakers and definitely the vinyls sounded better in his system rather my Bryston combo with CA 640P Phono.
Should I get a old speakers with 10 or 12 inches to listen to Vinyls???

thanks in advance.

Agree ....

My old Sonys 10" woofers does wonders. I think it is a very worthwhile observation about combining vintage big speakers with vinyl.

The music is mellow, yet, very clear, yet, rounded off ... soft and natural. My TT is not a bit sophisticated, it is very basic & again vintage stuff. Whatever slight 'hiss' I get to hear from the newer speakers while using this TT (with them) is totally missing with my vintage Sonys.

In other words ... the 3-way speakers with big woofers are very forgiving.

Hi.
I was informed by a gentleman that the best speakers for listening to Vinyl is old 3 way speakers with 10 or 12 inch driver. According to him the low's are brought out well by a 10 inch rather then the 6 inches. Is it true.
The gentleman was having a Sansui amp with a Old Gudmans speakers and definitely the vinyls sounded better in his system rather my Bryston combo with CA 640P Phono.
Should I get a old speakers with 10 or 12 inches to listen to Vinyls???

thanks in advance.

i do not think it to be quite as simple as that...

i used to have a bryston 3 BSST. paired with a Thiel CS 2.4, which did not have 10 or even 8 inch woofers... I never had a prob with the bass...

i think it is cartrige/ phono-pre issue...

The observation also might have to do with those old speakers being built at a time when the vinyl rig was built and a good synergy with design philosophies of the time? Just guessing...

Anyway one can enjoy vinyl irrespective of the other gear one owns! :) Tough to imagineThen again you just might enjoy a 10" woofer, listen and post back your impressions!

Stevieboy may have a point regarding vintage equipment being more "tuned" to suit each other.

Having said that, I have a late 80's TT (Technics SL-QD2), hooked up to an early 80s integrated amp (Marantz PM-350) and early 90s bookshelf speakers (The pair from my Sansui XD-950 midi-compo system). Even with this odd mix-and-match, I find the bass response for vinyl quite adequate.

I am not only complaining about the bass, but all the other aspects like midrange, Hi freq sounded far better in his vintage stuff with the same Technics TT, after I bought home the TT , that magic sound i heard in his place totally disappeared.

I am not only complaining about the bass, but all the other aspects like midrange, Hi freq sounded far better in his vintage stuff with the same Technics TT, after I bought home the TT , that magic sound i heard in his place totally disappeared.

Soundofmusic, how is the mid range when you play the cdp?

I ask this because, if the cdp is sounding fine then the amp and speakers are not really to blame...

My suspicion is that it is your phonostage that is letting you down. I own a Sansui AU-317 amp as well. And i can tell you that the phonostage in the SAnsui BEATS CA640P hands down.

In fact most vintage amps have far finer phonostages than the budget phono options by NAD, CA and the likes.

I think the phono stage is a deal breaker in your chain of electronics.

Try getting a Lyrita phonostage or any other better quality one. You will not blame the speakers after that!

The gentleman was having a Sansui amp with a Old Gudmans speakers

Hi,

@Soundofmusic,can you tell us the model of the Sansui amp and Goodmans speakers the gentleman is using?

Try getting a Lyrita phonostage

@Manav,looking forward to your reveiw of the Lyrita phono stage.

Regards
Rajiv

It is actually a matter of matching different components. My setup sounds best with my media files / network player. CD sounds the worst even though I have a very good player. This same CD player does wonders on one of my friends' setup.

Soundofmusic, how is the mid range when you play the cdp?

I ask this because, if the cdp is sounding fine then the amp and speakers are not really to blame...

My suspicion is that it is your phonostage that is letting you down. I own a Sansui AU-317 amp as well. And i can tell you that the phonostage in the SAnsui BEATS CA640P hands down.

In fact most vintage amps have far finer phonostages than the budget phono options by NAD, CA and the likes.

I think the phono stage is a deal breaker in your chain of electronics.

Try getting a Lyrita phonostage or any other better quality one. You will not blame the speakers after that!

Malvai,
The CD is Sounding Fantastic. But the TT is terrible. I purchased a couple of good vinyls too , but the sound is not great. even though the sound is warm but the hi's and low's are not good. The CD sounds better in this reg. Is this the problem with the Cartridge and the Phono?

regards

Hi,

@Soundofmusic,can you tell us the model of the Sansui amp and Goodmans speakers the gentleman is using?

@Manav,looking forward to your reveiw of the Lyrita phono stage.

Regards
Rajiv

Rajiv, the Sansui amp was AU D7 or 9 I dont remember, I have no idea about the model no. of goodmans.

@Manav : Yes I too looking for a detail review reg the Lyrita tube and SS Phono stage.

regards

The observation also might have to do with those old speakers being built at a time when the vinyl rig was built and a good synergy with design philosophies of the time? Just guessing...

Anyway one can enjoy vinyl irrespective of the other gear one owns! :) Tough to imagineThen again you just might enjoy a 10" woofer, listen and post back your impressions!

This is was exactly i was told. The amps and speakers made at the time when the TT was made will sound far better then the latest rigs. The latest Rigs will sound good for CD's not for TT. I dont know how far this is true. But my audition in his home made me think that vintage stuffs are much better for TT. may be I am completely wrong.

Malvai,
The CD is Sounding Fantastic. But the TT is terrible. I purchased a couple of good vinyls too , but the sound is not great. even though the sound is warm but the hi's and low's are not good. The CD sounds better in this reg. Is this the problem with the Cartridge and the Phono?

regards

it's most probably the phono. i.e., if the TT sounded fine at your friend's place, then the cart should be fine and doing its job. The phono however is now different. I never have liked the budget phono's from CA and NAD as they are just about adequate and no more.

Try switching off the sub-sonic filter located at the back of the 640P. See if it makes a difference. It ideally should.

But my first suggestion still stands. Get yourself a better phono stage.

When you're playing vinyl, the tonearm, Cartridge and the PHONO are like a holy trinity. If you get them right, 80% of your job is done. And from what I am reading from your posts, the tonearm+ cart did fine in another setup. What changed was the phono-stage.
The amp and speakers are definitely better than your friend's gear.

Borrow some better phonoamp from one of your friends, you'll see what I mean! :):):)

Thanks Malvai, I will try to get one from someone. Is it a wise decision to buy a Old sansui amp and connect the TT to it and take the pre out and give it to the Power amplifier?

regards

Thanks Malvai, I will try to get one from someone. Is it a wise decision to buy a Old sansui amp and connect the TT to it and take the pre out and give it to the Power amplifier?

regards

you could do that. but it'll be better to invest in a good phonostage for the long haul.

you could do that. but it'll be better to invest in a good phonostage for the long haul.

Malvai: Could you please suggest me few Phonostage. My son will be going to USA on a business trip. I can ask him to buy it from there if it works out cheaper.

Thanks

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back