Need Help with Home theater setup

AnshulKansal

Hi all. I really love this community and have been following it for some time now.

I need help with setting up 5.1.2 system in a dedicated room on 2nd Floor.
Currently using 55inch LG CX with 9.1 JBL bar in my bedroom but my kid won't let me watch anything :rolleyes:.

Budget :appx 4.5 lakhs.(projector,5.1.2 system, AVR, Fixed screen)- Can stretch a bit by 50k-75k if it makes a difference in performance worth spending.
Will be buying in phases.
Room Size: 24ft * 14 ft

Will be dedicating appx 13-14 ft from 24ft to home theater and the rest will be open area with bar without any partition.
Very very low natural light in the room.
Planning to mount fixed frame projector screen on 14.5 ft wall.(120 inch)
Both the 24ft walls have windows which are covered with very thick curtains.
Wooden flooring and the ceiling is 90% covered with leather/wooden panels.
Projector mount distance from screen 12ft.
Sitting distance appx 10-11 ft.
Attached rough layout for reference.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 140136.png
Usage : I will be mostly watching movies and playing games.(80:20 ratio)
Devices Planning to use as input - Nvidia shield Pro, PS5, Amazon Fire Stick, Gaming PC(maybe in future)

Did some initial research by reading the old posts and youtube videos and came up with this.

Projector: Epson EH-TW9400-3LCD(2 lakh appx)
Reasons: Low input lag for games, deep black levels and good contrast/brightness.
Do recommend others if any in 2 lakhs price range

Sub woofer: Q accoustics QB 12/SVS PB 1000 pro/ Rhythmik
Do recommend others in max1 lakh. 70k price range preferred

Speakers - Bookshelf or Floor standings?

AVR - 9.2 ch or 7.2(HDCP 2.3, Wifi, Bluetooth, ALLM for gaming, HDR support with 4k, preouts) for future proofing
Reading the old posts many recommend Denon for Movies. Not sure though. Please recommend

Fixed 120 inch screen : ??

Please recommend the above components in the given price bracket.
Also should i go for projector first or 5.1.2 system.
Please recommend an upgrade path.
Thank you all in advance and keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Bookshelves should be fine for home theater usage. You might need two subwoofers for that large space.

Also conaider getting 4 Atmos channels. I'd say, go for 5.2.4.

Denon 3800H would be perfect for your needs.

Room treatment> Subs and quality of source material> Speakers> quality power amplification for LCR> AVR.

Your budget may not accomplish all of these, but building your HT incrementally will help.

Bookshelves should be fine for home theater usage. You might need two subwoofers for that large space.

Also conaider getting 4 Atmos channels. I'd say, go for 5.2.4.

Denon 3800H would be perfect for your needs.
Thank you for the response.I will be dedicating only 13-14 ft of the space for HT. Do i still need 2 subs and 4 atmos speakers then?

Thank you for the response.I will be dedicating only 13-14 ft of the space for HT. Do i still need 2 subs and 4 atmos speakers then?
Even if you are dedicating 13-14 ft , remaining area is still open in your room i guess. Then your entire room area need to be calculated.
I suggest better get Floor standers for your room size , and get single 12" Powerful subs from Rythemic/SVS/XTZ ..etc. If you really need another sub u can get it later.
Golden Ear sub also good in terms of power and performance and with decent price , check that as well.
For speakers start auditioning the speakers like Wharfedale/Dale/Minitor Audio/Kilpsch/Polk etc.(probably u need to get the speakers with power range >150 watts RMS with 8 ohms)
Check Sonodyne/IndQ Audio - Indian made speakers. Sonodyne Avant/Sonus series are good to go for your room size, and they are priced decent.

Last edited:
Even if you are dedicating 13-14 ft , remaining area is still open in your room i guess. Then your entire room area need to be calculated.
I suggest better get Floor standers for your room size , and get single 12" Powerful subs from Rythemic/SVS/XTZ ..etc. If you really need another sub u can get it later.
Golden Ear sub also good in terms of power and performance and with decent price , check that as well.
For speakers start auditioning the speakers like Wharfedale/Dale/Minitor Audio/Kilpsch/Polk etc.(probably u need to get the speakers with power range >150 watts RMS with 8 ohms)
Check Sonodyne/IndQ Audio - Indian made speakers. Sonodyne Avant/Sonus series are good to go for your room size, and they are priced decent.
Yes. But the remaining area is on the back side of the sitting area. Please check the screen placement in the pic for reference.The sitting area is 12-13 ft and the rest 12 ft will be utilised for bar.

Attachments

• 20240122_173402.jpg
    20240122_173402.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 8
As said try with 1 sub, and add a second later. Sub is based on the total room volume that it is in. Try and see .

Atmos, yes. You should get 4 Atmos channels. It has nothing to do with the space. Go with in ceiling top front and top rear. With 2 Atmos channels you get left right panning of sound. With 4 hannels you get front to backa nd left to right panning. Sound can be placed anywhere.

With 2 Atmos you won't feel a plane flying over your head, it will just appear all if a sudden. But bird chirps, rain will be fine.

I have 5.1.2 with a viewing distance of 8-9 feet and wish I'd wired for 5.1.4.

As said try with 1 sub, and add a second later. Sub is based on the total room volume that it is in. Try and see .

Atmos, yes. You should get 4 Atmos channels. It has nothing to do with the space. Go with in ceiling top front and top rear. With 2 Atmos channels you get left right panning of sound. With 4 hannels you get front to backa nd left to right panning. Sound can be placed anywhere.

With 2 Atmos you won't feel a plane flying over your head, it will just appear all if a sudden. But bird chirps, rain will be fine.

I have 5.1.2 with a viewing distance of 8-9 feet and wish I'd wired for 5.1.4.
This i can vouch for, get 4 atmos speakers, 2 will be as good as not having it ( according to my experience)

Hi all. I really love this community and have been following it for some time now.

I need help with setting up 5.1.2 system in a dedicated room on 2nd Floor.
Currently using 55inch LG CX with 9.1 JBL bar in my bedroom but my kid won't let me watch anything :rolleyes:.

Budget :appx 4.5 lakhs.(projector,5.1.2 system, AVR, Fixed screen)- Can stretch a bit by 50k-75k if it makes a difference in performance worth spending.
Will be buying in phases.
Room Size: 24ft * 14 ft

Will be dedicating appx 13-14 ft from 24ft to home theater and the rest will be open area with bar without any partition.
Very very low natural light in the room.
Planning to mount fixed frame projector screen on 14.5 ft wall.(120 inch)
Both the 24ft walls have windows which are covered with very thick curtains.
Wooden flooring and the ceiling is 90% covered with leather/wooden panels.
Projector mount distance from screen 12ft.
Sitting distance appx 10-11 ft.
Attached rough layout for reference.

View attachment 82556
Usage : I will be mostly watching movies and playing games.(80:20 ratio)
Devices Planning to use as input - Nvidia shield Pro, PS5, Amazon Fire Stick, Gaming PC(maybe in future)
Hello,
That's a great room size for an HT.
First things first, wire the room for as many speakers as possible. at least 7.4.4.

Also, I may be wrong, but your projector mount distance vis-a-vis the screen size you are aiming for may be too close.
There are online calculators for throw distances. Some even allow you to just choose your projector model and will compute the requisite throw distance.
Check one of them once before finalising the mounting points.

Did some initial research by reading the old posts and youtube videos and came up with this.

Projector: Epson EH-TW9400-3LCD(2 lakh appx)
Reasons: Low input lag for games, deep black levels and good contrast/brightness.
Do recommend others if any in 2 lakhs price range

Sub woofer: Q accoustics QB 12/SVS PB 1000 pro/ Rhythmik
Do recommend others in max1 lakh. 70k price range preferred
You might need more than one sub for your space, as others have already mentioned.
And go with a minimum 15" sub. You might have to allocate more budget at a latter date even if you start with one.

Speakers - Bookshelf or Floor standings?
Audition floorstanders with at least an 8" woofer and matching Centre.
Alternatively, you could check out something like a full QSC cinema system. Those who have tried them are full of praise for them.

AVR - 9.2 ch or 7.2(HDCP 2.3, Wifi, Bluetooth, ALLM for gaming, HDR support with 4k, preouts) for future proofing
You might want to at the least provision for power amps for at least the front three channels in the future.
Reading the old posts many recommend Denon for Movies. Not sure though. Please recommend

Fixed 120 inch screen : ??

Please recommend the above components in the given price bracket.
Also should i go for projector first or 5.1.2 system.

Please recommend an upgrade path.
Thank you all in advance and keep up the good work.
1. Go for the following in the first spend: Wiring + Projector + AVR + LCR + 1 sub
2. Add surrounds and 4 nos Atmos speakers + second sub if you still feel the need. (Note: Getting the best out of dual subs will require some time and effort, though. Please go through the experiences of those with duals/multi-subs)
3. Power for front stage if you feel the AVR is lacking once all channels are driven.

Wishing you all the best

Hello,
That's a great room size for an HT.
First things first, wire the room for as many speakers as possible. at least 7.4.4.

Also, I may be wrong, but your projector mount distance vis-a-vis the screen size you are aiming for may be too close.
There are online calculators for throw distances. Some even allow you to just choose your projector model and will compute the requisite throw distance.
Check one of them once before finalising the mounting points.

You might need more than one sub for your space, as others have already mentioned.
And go with a minimum 15" sub. You might have to allocate more budget at a latter date even if you start with one.

Audition floorstanders with at least an 8" woofer and matching Centre.
Alternatively, you could check out something like a full QSC cinema system. Those who have tried them are full of praise for them.

You might want to at the least provision for power amps for at least the front three channels in the future.

1. Go for the following in the first spend: Wiring + Projector + AVR + LCR + 1 sub
2. Add surrounds and 4 nos Atmos speakers + second sub if you still feel the need. (Note: Getting the best out of dual subs will require some time and effort, though. Please go through the experiences of those with duals/multi-subs)
3. Power for front stage if you feel the AVR is lacking once all channels are driven.

Wishing you all the best
Actually it's already wired for a 5.1.2 system. I can maybe try to make 5.2.4 in future but don't want to spend too much on it.

Dis the projector calculation and max is 12 inch screen size with maximum zoom.

I want the HT experience only for 14ft.If i am planning to sit 10 ft from the screen,do i need to have floor standing and 2nd sub? Please check the attached layout for better understanding

Attachments

• 20240122_173402.jpg
    20240122_173402.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 5
Actually it's already wired for a 5.1.2 system. I can maybe try to make 5.2.4 in future but don't want to spend too much on it.
Hey, if you have wired the room for 5.1.2, you don't need to worry about having 4 atmos speakers at all.

While .4 is a different experience, .2 overheads will give you a good sense of spatial sound. Just ensure that the .2s are slightly placed forward with respect to your seat/sofa.

Look at FM Ankit Barghawa's earlier set ups. He has posted good pix of when he had .2s.
Dis the projector calculation and max is 12 inch screen size with maximum zoom.
So, again I may be wrong, and other PJ owners may have a better answer. I think a distance when you don't need to zoom, which in your room will make the mounting point a little bit farther behind, should be better, IMO. But do check with FMs with PJs.
I want the HT experience only for 14ft.If i am planning to sit 10 ft from the screen,do i need to have floor standing and 2nd sub? Please check the attached layout for better understanding
Yes, unfortunately, the whole room counts, when it comes to soundwaves and bass pressurisation.

This is oversimplification, but the basic idea is that sound waves will travel till they hit a wall (behind, on the sides, and even the wall where your screen will be) and come back to you, from behind and other sides.

You need to correct it with either DSP/treatment.
DSP (which a good AVR will have some decent level of) is the easiest. Treatment addresses your room and will be more permanent.

Most of us make do with AVR room correction. The most hardcore amongst us do treat pur rooms to militant levels.

So, yes, your whole room counts. This is why most people have been telling you to go dual subs. Because at some point a room as big as yours is difficult to fill with bass.

(Unless you are going to have a hard separation between the bar area and the HT area, like a faux wall or something. Then the measurements change. This is important)

And please don't get disheartened with all this. Start low, start slow, and you will enjoy this journey.

As for floor standers, yes, I would highly recommend FS for your room for the front stage. With minimum 8" woofers. Or 8-12" QSCs or AIAs or something similar.

Last edited:
Hey, if you have wired the room for 5.1.2, you don't need to worry about having 4 atmos speakers at all.

While .4 is a different experience, .2 overheads will give you a good sense of spatial sound. Just ensure that the .2s are slightly placed forward with respect to your seat/sofa.

Look at FM Ankit Barghawa's earlier set ups. He has posted good pix of when he had .2s.

So, again I may be wrong, and other PJ owners may have a better answer. I think a distance when you don't need to zoom, which in your room will make the mounting point a little bit farther behind, should be better, IMO. But do check with FMs with PJs.

Yes, unfortunately, the whole room counts, when it comes to soundwaves and bass pressurisation.

This is oversimplification, but the basic idea is that sound waves will travel till they hit a wall (behind, on the sides, and even the wall where your screen will be) and come back to you, from behind and other sides.

You need to correct it with either DSP/treatment.
DSP (which a good AVR will have some decent level of) is the easiest. Treatment addresses your room and will be more permanent.

Most of us make do with AVR room correction. The most hardcore amongst us do treat pur rooms to militant levels.

So, yes, your whole room counts. This is why most people have been telling you to go dual subs. Because at some point a room as big as yours is difficult to fill with bass.

(Unless you are going to have a hard separation between the bar area and the HT area, like a faux wall or something. Then the measurements change. This is important)

And please don't get disheartened with all this. Start low, start slow, and you will enjoy this journey.

As for floor standers, yes, I would highly recommend FS for your room for the front stage. With minimum 8" woofers. Or 8-12" QSCs or AIAs or something similar.
Very sane advise....Cant add anything of value to the above. But will reiterate the "start slow, and start with a few of high quality" advise. All the best :)

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back