Recommendation needed for Home Theatre setup in 7 lakhs INR ($8000) budget

suryacheed

Hello guys, kinda overwhelmed with all the options available. Need advise.

Adding what I've finalised after some research and some online help.

1. Room dimensions ~17x23ft - construction almost completed - false ceiling and flooring work on going (any civil work modifications needed can be done at this stage)
2. Provision to have 12x7 screen is available.
3. Projector: Epson EH TW9400 - faux 4k but in budget and felt it's better than ben q 4k ones.
4. AVR: Denon X3800H - 9.4 channel = 7.1.2 will work fine.
5. LCR: In wall behind screen - Klipsch THX-502-L - 3 nos.
6. LR,BackLR: Klipsch R-14S - 4 nos.
7. Ceiling Atmos: Klipsch CS-16-C II - 2 nos.
8. Sub: Klipsch R -120 SW - 1 nos.

All of this is coming around 7 lakhs including, wiring, Apple TV, accessories etc.

1. 7.1.2 works fine for this avr but for 7.1.4 I need to get external amp. Is it worth it? Does it sound that superior or I can settle for 7.1.2?
2. Is it that necessary to have acoustic interior or I can get away with usual false ceiling and having rug/carpet on floor? This will absorb most of reverb and we will have two rows of sofa/recliners and LCR setup behind screen in wall mounted.
3. Is my setup balanced bw audio and video or needed any modifications?
4. Going with 2 woofers or woofer which are in price range 1-1.5 lakhs is it that necessary?
5. Any other things I need to think of before getting into home theatre setup.

1. Room dimensions ~17x23ft - construction almost completed - false ceiling and flooring work on going (any civil work modifications needed can be done at this stage)
3. Projector: Epson EH TW9400 - faux 4k but in budget and felt it's better than ben q 4k ones.

All of this is coming around 7 lakhs including, wiring, Apple TV, accessories etc.

1. 7.1.2 works fine for this avr but for 7.1.4 I need to get external amp. Is it worth it? Does it sound that superior or I can settle for 7.1.2?
2. Is it that necessary to have acoustic interior or I can get away with usual false ceiling and having rug/carpet on floor? This will absorb most of reverb and we will have two rows of sofa/recliners and LCR setup behind screen in wall mounted.
4. Going with 2 woofers or woofer which are in price range 1-1.5 lakhs is it that necessary?
I’d recommend going for a 2nd subwoofer and sticking to 7.2.2. The extra resolution offered by 2 additional overhead speakers will not give close to as much additional benefit a 2nd subwoofer will.

On the AVR side I’d recommend looking at Pioneer LX. I have an LX-505 which is cheaper than the 3800H. It delivers more power ( 120W FTC vs 105 ), it has 11 channel processing, and most importantly it gets you Dirac Live included in the price, and Dirac gives you a huge set up. The other option to look at is LX-305 which is similar power ( 100W FTC ), gets your Dirac and 7.1.2. MRP of LX-305 is about 1.5 vs MRP of 2.1 for 3800H. And Pioneer is offering 18 month warranty.

What screen are you looking at ?

The Denon 3800 is now available on hifimart for ~ INR 1.47 lakhs which is very competitive- same as US/EU markets. However from what I have read, the DAC has degraded over the 3700H- apparently Denon had to cut corners after the chip shortage. I wonder how much of this is audible though in a large movie mix.

7.1.2 or 7.1.4 depends on you. You can start with 2 Atmos and then expand as required. Its very subjective. In my case, I feel the surrounds are enough but my wife feels a difference if there is no Atmos. So it will boil down to your preference/ hearing.

The Denon 3800 is now available on hifimart for ~ INR 1.47 lakhs which is very competitive- same as US/EU markets. However from what I have read, the DAC has degraded over the 3700H- apparently Denon had to cut corners after the chip shortage. I wonder how much of this is audible though in a large movie mix.

7.1.2 or 7.1.4 depends on you. You can start with 2 Atmos and then expand as required. Its very subjective. In my case, I feel the surrounds are enough but my wife feels a difference if there is no Atmos. So it will boil down to your preference/ hearing.
yes. couple of people suggested denon and youtuber tanmay too. he also suggested onkyo which is 20k pricier. lots of praises for denon online so going with it.

I’d recommend going for a 2nd subwoofer and sticking to 7.2.2. The extra resolution offered by 2 additional overhead speakers will not give close to as much additional benefit a 2nd subwoofer will.

On the AVR side I’d recommend looking at Pioneer LX. I have an LX-505 which is cheaper than the 3800H. It delivers more power ( 120W FTC vs 105 ), it has 11 channel processing, and most importantly it gets you Dirac Live included in the price, and Dirac gives you a huge set up. The other option to look at is LX-305 which is similar power ( 100W FTC ), gets your Dirac and 7.1.2. MRP of LX-305 is about 1.5 vs MRP of 2.1 for 3800H. And Pioneer is offering 18 month warranty.

What screen are you looking at ?
i'm getting denon 3800h for 140k and change.

say i'm going for two of same subs, around 50k each - Klipsch R -120 SW. does it sound better than 1 lakh sub like say Klipsch SPL 120? I'm not sure why same brand has two subs of same size and power with 100% price gap.

say i'm going for two of same subs, around 50k each - Klipsch R -120 SW. does it sound better than 1 lakh sub like say Klipsch SPL 120? I'm not sure why same brand has two subs of same size and power with 100% price gap.
I just saw the specs - the SPL-120 goes deeper and has a different amplifier, driver, design etc. So size and power don’t really matter - you’ll probably get deeper and cleaner bass with the SPL-120.

I’d go for 2 x R-120SW for your room size as you’ll get more even coverage.

I got my LX-505 for around that much too last year and with the Dirac license worth 30,000/- included, which is extra on the 3800H.

2 Atmos channels will give you left right panning while having 4 will give you left right and front back. It is better to go with a .4 config.

You can get a cheap 2 channel class D amp for the additional Atmos top front. It will be around 10-15k.

2 Atmos channels will give you left right panning while having 4 will give you left right and front back. It is better to go with a .4 config.

You can get a cheap 2 channel class D amp for the additional Atmos top front. It will be around 10-15k.
I talked to my installation guy and he said we can put two atmos in parallel with another two. I'm assuming it's jugaad and bad for the pricey amp to do that and we will be compromising sound power output or load on amp or both. Found this reddit thread with two pretty good suggestions under 10k on amazon and I'll get those -

I talked to my installation guy and he said we can put two atmos in parallel with another two. I'm assuming it's jugaad and bad for the pricey amp to do that and we will be compromising sound power output or load on amp or both. Found this reddit thread with two pretty good suggestions under 10k on amazon and I'll get those -
That's a bad idea. You won't have 4 channels. You will not get front back and left right panning in Atmos.

I just saw the specs - the SPL-120 goes deeper and has a different amplifier, driver, design etc. So size and power don’t really matter - you’ll probably get deeper and cleaner bass with the SPL-120.

I’d go for 2 x R-120SW for your room size as you’ll get more even coverage.

I got my LX-505 for around that much too last year and with the Dirac license worth 30,000/- included, which is extra on the 3800H.
thanks for explanation. we gotta complete some civil work and get whole system ready by mid dec and don't have time to go through all components in deep, your comment helped.

thanks to you i thought about two subs and now i'm planning to go with 7.2.4 setup all klipsch. i watched dirac vs auydysse comparision videos on youtube and although dirac is superior i'm not sure about denon alternatives like onkyo or pioneer. i won't go for 4 subs in future but pioneer has 2 sub limit and those both subs have same output it seems.

i will look at these three and will decide in a day or two then.

That's a bad idea. You won't have 4 channels. You will not get front back and left right panning in Atmos.
yes forgot we will lose channels too. my cousins have 7.1.4 setup on same denon with 2 atmos in parallel and their placement of atmos speakers are based on room dimensions in the corners of room rather than considering seating position and placing around seating position. couldn't enjoy or notice any atmos sounds with their setup. i will go with cheap amp to use all 11 channel processing on avr.

Hi, I'm using a Klipsch thx 6000 series in a 7.1.2 setup (Denon 3800) with a SVS PB 2000 PRO. I won't recommend you to go for Klipsch Sub. The THX speakers are fantastic.

Ditch the Klipsch n go for svs

Good choices.
Only tweak I'd suggest is to ditch the Klipsch sub and look at other good options.
And two subs will be good for your room size. But they will require work. So, just be aware of that.

All the best.

Good choices.
Only tweak I'd suggest is to ditch the Klipsch sub and look at other good options.
And two subs will be good for your room size. But they will require work. So, just be aware of that.

All the best.
which options do you suggest? I can get 2 of these klipsch subs for 1 lakh. If I go for one svs or elac sub in 1 lakh price range, would it feel better than two of these klipsch subs?

Hi, I'm using a Klipsch thx 6000 series in a 7.1.2 setup (Denon 3800) with a SVS PB 2000 PRO. I won't recommend you to go for Klipsch Sub. The THX speakers are fantastic.

Ditch the Klipsch n go for svs
can you help me with active vs passive subs? denon 3800 has 9 channel amp but 11 channel processing. if i'm going with 7.2.4, I need to get an amp for 2 channels right? no need to get amp for subs? is it built in or not considered? or all popular subs are active?

and one svs sb 1000 pro or sb 2000 costs around 1 lakh and i can get two of klipsch for 1 lakh. one svs gonna feel better than those two klipsch subs in your opinion?

can you help me with active vs passive subs?
99% of sub woofers designed and sold for Home/domestic use are powered so you can set that doubt aside. They take a pre out feed from your AVR and the internal sub woofer amplifier drives them. I do not recommend a passive or inactive sub woofer for Home use. The logistics of powering them with an out board amplifier will be a headache.

I suggest of loading the front 3 channels to a external powered amplifier and drive the remaining speakers using the AVR internal amplifier. The system will have a lot more head room in case you want to crank things up. The trouble with nearly all these AVR's are that their power rating take a hit when there are demanding passages in a film. This may not be that frequent and generally last a few seconds or maybe a few minutes depending on whats happening on screen. However, sustained, simultaneous drive of 9 channels is impossible to achieve with internal amplification. You'll notice two things:
  • Clipping which can be bad for your speakers
  • Inaudible passages or sound. There just isn't enough current to wake up the speaker
There are some very good sub woofers out there. Take your time and explore the market. Its not enough to you tube your way through this setup.
When you are spending this much, do it right.

can you help me with active vs passive subs? denon 3800 has 9 channel amp but 11 channel processing. if i'm going with 7.2.4, I need to get an amp for 2 channels right? no need to get amp for subs? is it built in or not considered? or all popular subs are active?

and one svs sb 1000 pro or sb 2000 costs around 1 lakh and i can get two of klipsch for 1 lakh. one svs gonna feel better than those two klipsch subs in your opinion?
Considering the fixed budget, you should prioritize your equipment and go in phases as consolidating everything at one go might just force you to buy something sub-optimal. For the size of your room, 3 channel power amp is highly recommended as this is a simple plug and play kind, so it can be bought later on as well. General wisdom suggests 2 subs will be better than 1 as 2 provide more effortless and impactful bass than single. May be start with one SVS and later on add another.

Klipsch basically are known for their speakers and SVS for their subwoofers. I did an extensive research before I closed in on svs pb 2000 pro. 2 subs are always better than one or buy one big sub first and then add another whenever the budgeting suits again. Getting two small subs is end of game, getting one big sub and adding one later is a better option. I myself would be adding another pb 2000 pro. N mind you - YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED WITH SVS. They are active subs, so no need for additional amplification. The pb 2000 pro would cost you roughly 120k. And if your main use is HT, go with ported subs. For 4 channel Atmos, I think they use the term bi-wire, you can get it done with your existing setup without additional need of an extra amplifier.

99% of sub woofers designed and sold for Home/domestic use are powered so you can set that doubt aside. They take a pre out feed from your AVR and the internal sub woofer amplifier drives them. I do not recommend a passive or inactive sub woofer for Home use. The logistics of powering them with an out board amplifier will be a headache.

I suggest of loading the front 3 channels to a external powered amplifier and drive the remaining speakers using the AVR internal amplifier. The system will have a lot more head room in case you want to crank things up. The trouble with nearly all these AVR's are that their power rating take a hit when there are demanding passages in a film. This may not be that frequent and generally last a few seconds or maybe a few minutes depending on whats happening on screen. However, sustained, simultaneous drive of 9 channels is impossible to achieve with internal amplification. You'll notice two things:
  • Clipping which can be bad for your speakers
  • Inaudible passages or sound. There just isn't enough current to wake up the speaker
There are some very good sub woofers out there. Take your time and explore the market. Its not enough to you tube your way through this setup.
When you are spending this much, do it right.
can you suggest any 3 channel amps in reasonable budget? 30k or less? finding denon 3800 was easy as there are only handful of options in 9 channel avr. but for this i can't even google and find any popular ones.

Considering the fixed budget, you should prioritize your equipment and go in phases as consolidating everything at one go might just force you to buy something sub-optimal. For the size of your room, 3 channel power amp is highly recommended as this is a simple plug and play kind, so it can be bought later on as well. General wisdom suggests 2 subs will be better than 1 as 2 provide more effortless and impactful bass than single. May be start with one SVS and later on add another.
thanks for the suggestion. i will think. as of now plan is to buy once and forget any/all upgrades in future. no one at home will be interested in putting in more money later on once it's 'finished'. not sure how to judge 2 50k subs vs 1 1lakh sub feeling/experience.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back