Stereo system with turntable, stereo amp, n floor standing speakers

harsh247

hi everyone,

I am looking to setup a stereo system with a turntable, stereo amp and floor standing speakers
How do i go about getting a good (maybe secondhand) turntable, and how do i ensure its in goo condition?
STereo Amp - am looking at something basic. maybe an Indian make. Like a Norge or Sonodyne or something
Floor standing speakers - nothing too expensive.

my total budget for the setup is roughly 40 k

is this achievable? pls gimme suggestions.
Thanks

A stereo system with a turntable, stereo amp and floor standing speakers for 40k is a tall order but achievable but if you buy all new, you may have to compromise on quality and/or output. So I suggest you to go in for new spkrs and a preowned amp and TT.

Help me to help you by reading my suggestions to forum member parora for an HT setup as also answering the same questions that i asked him about room size, type of music etc etc.
Also let me know why you want to go in for towers instead of bookshelves, reason being that in most cases its better to buy a better pr of bookshelves than a pr of so-so towers. Tower territory in most cases starts from 15k onwards but believe you me, for music you'll be better off with apr of good bookshelves costing abt 20-25k. However, if you are still hellbent on towers, we'll talk further on that too. Are you in Kolkata cause I m in Siliguri. BTW, sonodyne continues to remain a good option giving you the added adv of being in the same towmn as Mr Mukherjee and his main mfr units plus you can audition first hand. Next is the TT going to be your only source or do you have a cd/dvd player?
You'll need an amp with a phono input stage or else you ll have to buy it separately.Reply soon.

Heres the link
http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/15808-home-theater-budget-one-lakh-inr-no-more-3.html

Last edited:
A stereo system with a turntable, stereo amp and floor standing speakers for 40k is a tall order but achievable but if you buy all new, you may have to compromise on quality and/or output. So I suggest you to go in for new spkrs and a preowned amp and TT.

Help me to help you by reading my suggestions to forum member parora for an HT setup as also answering the same questions that i asked him about room size, type of music etc etc.
Also let me know why you want to go in for towers instead of bookshelves, reason being that in most cases its better to buy a better pr of bookshelves than a pr of so-so towers. Tower territory in most cases starts from 15k onwards but believe you me, for music you'll be better off with apr of good bookshelves costing abt 20-25k. However, if you are still hellbent on towers, we'll talk further on that too. Are you in Kolkata cause I m in Siliguri. BTW, sonodyne continues to remain a good option giving you the added adv of being in the same towmn as Mr Mukherjee and his main mfr units plus you can audition first hand. Next is the TT going to be your only source or do you have a cd/dvd player?
You'll need an amp with a phono input stage or else you ll have to buy it separately.Reply soon.

Size of room is abt 400 sq ft. Music is mostly rock, blues, easy listening kinda. I thought of towers because i was of the opinion that if getting bookshelf, then u definitely need to get subwoofers, in which case my budget is too low. I did check out sonodyne. a pair of towers, Sonus 2504 are abt 20k a pair. Their 208 amp is in the range of 15k i believe. well i'll prolly be using a media play additional at most

You may like to look for an amp with a phono stage. Possibly a used Marantz PM 6003 and likes else you will have to buy a phono preamp. I must say you are too tight on this budget.

You will have to spare some money for interconnects and records too. I assume you dont have any LPs yet!

in 40k you will have to look at used equipment

in60k
you could probably get something like a denon TT paired with a decent bookshelf

however i still would recommend a bookshlef here
a 17-20k bookshlef like any of these - Tannoy Custom F1
KEf IQ10
PSB image B6

could better any floorstander in that range ,hell would better many floorstanders in double that

in 40k or close you could do an all norge setup which isint too bad for the money
look at one of my old threads for a good norge speaker
concerto gold amp for 10-12k will probably have all you need
the norge bookshelves can be had in about that much too
leaving you enough for a speaker stand and a TT

in 40k you will have to look at used equipment

in60k
you could probably get something like a denon TT paired with a decent bookshelf

however i still would recommend a bookshlef here
a 17-20k bookshlef like any of these - Tannoy Custom F1
KEf IQ10
PSB image B6

could better any floorstander in that range ,hell would better many floorstanders in double that

in 40k or close you could do an all norge setup which isint too bad for the money
look at one of my old threads for a good norge speaker
concerto gold amp for 10-12k will probably have all you need
the norge bookshelves can be had in about that much too
leaving you enough for a speaker stand and a TT

See Harsh?
Great minds thinking alike, huh?
Kaise ho (How are you?) Ali Bhai?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back