Stirring the pot...

keith_correa

GeorgeO pointed this guy's [Tom Nousaine] website in one of his posts and said that "you will find that he is a Guru's Guru".

Checked his site out and was reading his tech articles section. IMO, what is in there is very very good.

In this article [about the long and hotly debated cables fame] one section particularly stood out - read the section by Alan Lofft to the end speaking about audiophilia, cables, religion and why the people who say "cables make a difference" truly believe that. :clapping:

And thanks George for introducing Tom to me [us?].

Keith

I now remember-this was in my early days of audio and hifi about 10 years ago-that Hsu Research felt they owed so much to Nousaine that they actually had a model in their lineup called the TN 1225(TN named after him). It was a Sonotube enclosure, downfiring design using a 12 inch driver.. Hsu at that time did not have the rep they now have, and Tom Nousaine reviewed their products very favourably.

Reviews here:

HSU Research TN-1225HO Reviews

LOL..the articles are great thought provoking material.love the 'tweak or not to tweak' and 'urban legends' esp.makes one wonder just how much of our perceptions are quantifiably responsible in attainin ones 'audio nirvana' :rolleyes:!!!!cheers.

Sorry to get a little more confrontational than politeness allows on a hi fi forum, but unless Tom Nousaine is a total liar, the results of this test:

http://www.nousaine.com/pdfs/To Tweak or Not.pdf

are very interesting. I personally am an agnost in these matters, simply because I don't have the necessary experience, but what strikes me is that the people who claim that a lot of the high-end 'tweako' stuff is mythical are far more rigorous in expounding their beliefs than the "subjectivists." I actually read a piece by Robert Harley where he sets out a laughably silly argument AGAINST blind testing.

If methods, rigour and transparency were the key considerations the "objectivists" would win this debate hands down. There are also compelling arguments in these articles about how people can "hear" stuff that just isn't there. Can anyone debunk Nousaine's findings?

Keith

I now remember-this was in my early days of audio and hifi about 10 years ago-that Hsu Research felt they owed so much to Nousaine that they actually had a model in their lineup called the TN 1225(TN named after him). It was a Sonotube enclosure, downfiring design using a 12 inch driver.. Hsu at that time did not have the rep they now have, and Tom Nousaine reviewed their products very favourably.

Reviews here:

HSU Research TN-1225HO Reviews

Thanks for bringing back oooold memories. Yeah, I remember [was it in the late 1980's?] reading about the tube and thinking - If someday I could afford something like this - WTF am I going to keep it? :lol:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back