Straight Razors

After i went back to double edge, i figured, why not go all the way, but then i realized that the expense and the inconvenience was not worth the better shave, and shavettes as an intermediate were not recommended either, so i stuck to DE.

All the straight razor users, where do you source the leather strap for honing the edge?

Went on to double edge three years back and been happy. Straight razor, no. Just like my system - CD based, but not TT - an optimum combination of quality and convenience.

Quick shave: Gillette Mach 3
Leisurely shave: Safety razor with Gillette blade
Pampered shave: Straight razor (at barbershop)
Cheers,
Raghu
From what I understand, what most barber shops use is called a shavette, and is not a straight razor, though it may look like one, and is indeed l inferior to both the straight and double edge razors

From what I understand, what most barber shops use is called a shavette, and is not a straight razor, though it may look like one, and is indeed l inferior to both the straight and double edge razors
In fact the blades barbers use is a straight edge. Barbers use these for hygienic reasons as blades can be changed after every shave unlike the traditional cut throat razor which can be honed, strophed and used for a lifetime.

While we are on this topic, does anyone prefer foam over brush + shaving cream? I tried Gilette foam once, thinking it would be convenient and I said to myself - never again :p Went back to my good old brush and Old Spice cream.

I've been using Shavette from past 15-20 years.
It is supposed to be more "hazardous" than the straight cut throats since the blades in shavettes are thin, super sharp and flex a little.
So in my opinion the order of masculinity is:
Shavette > Straight Razor > Double edge Safety Razor > Use and throw stuff (like Presto) > Mach 1→

You get used to the style and pressure in first few goes only (of course with some nicks).
The only thing you need to always remember with any straight face razor is that NEVER move parallel to blade otherwise it will slice your skin open.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back