strange amplifier noise

pete326

Hello,

Since I bought my new amplifier, I'm experiencing strange noises which remind me of blown speaker(rubbing voice coil noise).It's noticable at low volumes and it's really annoying :mad:

If it helps to solve the audio issue, amp uses toshiba (a1941,c5198) output power transistors.The speakers are anyway fine, I tested them with a different amp.

Please help :)

Check your wiring connection/polarity both at the end of the amp and speakers. Are the speakers bi wired ?

I suspect there is a substantial amount of DC ( 1 Volt or more) at the output terminals of your power amp.

You can check this with either of the 2 procedures:

1. If you have a Multimeter, switch it to Volts DC and measure at the Speaker terminals, with the amplifier ON and no muisic playing. It should read almost no DC voltage ( less than 0.1 Volt )

2. If you do not have a Multimeter, with the Amp ON & no music playing, disconnect one of the Speaker wires and reconnect. Do you Hear a Fairly Loud 'PLOP" from the speaker ? If Yes, you have DC on the amplifier output and it needs to go for repairs, else it will bake your Speaker Voice coil and eventually spoil the Speaker.

Do revert ...

I have measured dc voltage on speaker outputs, and I got about 37 milivolts on left channel and 40 milivolts on right.No music playing through.

That is a Very Low DC offset. Certainly no concern on the DC offset.

Could it be scratchy Switches or a scratchy Volume control ?

For the switches, switch then In/Out or ON / Off multiple times quickly.

For Volume control / knobs turn them around a few times swiftly.

Does this remove the problem .... temporarily ?

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the problem, still dealing with it :(
this has to be a problem with PCB components (maybe capacitors,resistors,transistors...)
I don't know...

about 37 milivolts on left channel and 40 milivolts on right.No music playing through.
AYlgpr

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back