Strange Issue with Philips 5996 DVD Player - Useless service support from Philips

anm

Hi,
I have a strange issue with this DVD player. It is connected directly via HDMI to my projector.
While watching a movie, white noise screen appears and then the projector looses the signal. Picture comes back after a couple of seconds. This happens every 10 mins at least!!!
I have tested with another philips dvdp 5986 (the model earlier than 5996) and it works fine - for the same movie, same hdmi cable, same projector. So I think the problem is with this new DVDP only.
I called the philips support, they quickly sent someone to collect my dvdp. I demoed the entire thing, with 2 players and he acknowledged that there is an issue. However, I got a call back from them saying they are not able to reproduce the issue in their service center. I got back my player in a around a week - but without any fix. The problem still persists and it gets so annoying while watching a movie. I purchased this new one for my living room but it will soon be thrown out, with a very negative view of philips service.

Will appreciate if someone can suggest a fix, or a better way to get it fixed by Philips.

regards

Better ask replacement firmly as this can be manufacturing defect.
Check or change the cable from DVDp to Projector.

HDMI Cable isn't faulty as I have tried it with another dvdp. Also it is difficult/ expensive to replace. This was done by the guys who did the projector setup, and I could have called them and asked to replace - but don't see any fault of theirs!

regards

HDMI Cable isn't faulty as I have tried it with another dvdp. Also it is difficult/ expensive to replace. This was done by the guys who did the projector setup, and I could have called them and asked to replace - but don't see any fault of theirs!

regards

If DVDp is in warrenty,then replace it.

Yes, it can be a defective unit, demand for a replacement unit, that should be the first option

Did you verify at the service center that the problem is no longer reproducible? I wonder why you even took it back when the philips person acknowledged seeing a problem. Can't it be replaced under warranty?

Regards

couldn't find time to go to their service center :-(
office and wife don't let me go anywhere - except hifivision.com - I am good at alt+tab!

couldn't find time to go to their service center :-(
office and wife don't let me go anywhere - except hifivision.com - I am good at alt+tab!

So newly married ha?:eek:hyeah:

OK,you can atleast go to the dealar from whom you have purchased,they will call company person.

yes newly married for last 2.5 years. More recently I was blessed with a baby girl. She likes music as much as I do.
I purchased from home town noida and they gave me the # of philips center.
Another query - the karoke seems to work only with karoke CDs. While on other players ( a sony at relative's place) it worked with all. Is that a bug or a feature :D
So newly married ha?:eek:hyeah:

OK,you can atleast go to the dealar from whom you have purchased,they will call company person.

Last edited:
yes newly married for last 2.5 years. More recently I was blessed with a baby girl. She likes music as much as I do.
I purchased from home town noida and they gave me the # of philips center.
Another query - the karoke seems to work only with karoke CDs. While on other players ( a sony at relative's place) it worked with all. Is that a bug or a feature :D

In karoke,vocals are cut down by player itself,its feature on player.
Music companies releases CDs without vocals so that someone can sing with original music & record it in his voice.
When player does karoke,one can hear vocals in background,but not with prerecorded CDs.

I meant that the mic doesn't work at all with CDs other than karoke.
This is the behavior on older 5986. On 5996 I think it doesn't work at all. Will test and tell.
Can we use AVR for karoke?

regards

regards
In karoke,vocals are cut down by player itself,its feature on player.
Music companies releases CDs without vocals so that someone can sing with original music & record it in his voice.
When player does karoke,one can hear vocals in background,but not with prerecorded CDs.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back