Streaming audio via blutooth from Laptop

balajeem

Hello,

what software should I install to be able to enable streaming via bluetooth from my laptop ? My laptop has blutooth connectivity but for it to stream I vaguely know that A2DP to be enabled ?

should it be done from software or using USB dongle would enable ?
any help is appreciated.

I want it to stream so that my Rotel ( stereo amp RA-12)can be used for playing it

Originally BT was not designed with high quality music in mind because there were no high quality devices then. It was mainly for a wireless replacement of phone to PC cables.

BT uses something called SBC codec to transmit audio. But this is compressed, like how MP3 is compressed audio. CD quality music is large which is about 10 MB +/- per minute of stereo. That is why MP3 was designed to reduce the file size - which is known as "Audio Compression".

There are different levels of SBC. If your device, say a hands free BT ear phone has the same level of SBC as your laptop / phone/ tab does, then they transmit equally at that rate. If any of your BT device has a lower SBC then device will transmit / accept at the lower speed of the two.

To improve this, A2DP was designed for stereo audio. Think of it as a kind of layer which is on your BT. A2DP allows you to stream your audio over any codec, but it requires the SBC codec as a minimum to make sure that all A2DP devices work when they are paired.

If you are specifically looking for transmitting stereo audio over BT then you need APTX. It is generally advertised as the best quality codec for CD like quality and found on most latest A2DP devices. If you have APTX support on both - your laptop in this case and a pair of APTX head phones then you will get your audio over APTX instead of SBC.

But this APTX is still compressed but just better compression. For me it still does not make sense to get APTX enabled hardware and devices like speakers / headphones and not being sure whether they are paired with purely APTX. Your BT compression is in addition to the compression of your music. So if you play MP3, it gets decoded then again compressed with BT. That for me is not the way to good sound. So whatever the devices have, both should have the same level / version of that codec to transmit / receive equally.

Coming to your point @balajeem Since you mentioned laptop, I am assuming you have your music stored in it and probably a HDD connected to it. You have not mentioned whether you are using a DAC with your amp and the type of music (MP3 / FLAC / AAC / etc.,) you have. Since you have a Rotel amp (a damn good one), you need a BT setup which has RCA / digital output, from which you can connect to amp. Typically you will have a small box with analog / digital out with which you can connect your amp and playback music via your laptops BT. You do not need any additional software for that.

I have a lot of FLAC files and have used, returned and donated many BT audio receivers because I found a slight loss of sound quality. Mind you it is not bad at all especially if you or your family members want to play MP3 from their phones; but for a good ear it is not acceptable. The best one which I came across is Bluetooth Receiver with optical out and NFC, but I gave it to my nephew after a few days and switched back to hard wire. This has an inbuilt Wolfson DAC and would be ideal for those who do not have an external DAC. I had got it for 6.5K on Amazon last year.

Now, I am playing back from my laptop to DAC to amp - all wired. You do need a good software like JRiver / Foobar / VLC to playback FLAC files though.

If you are fixated on playing back wirelessly, then go in for a wifi enabled one like Wireless Receivers Wi-Fi. Both the products in the links are for illustrative purposes only.

On the Forum, there is a wealth of much better information than what I have tried to say. Bottom line: Stay wired.

Last edited:
BT playback should be for quick plays. If you are planning regular listening, cable down and use a good quality source file CD/FLAC/320k-MP3.

Look at this scenario
Many new CDs are sound compressed for loudness (unlike the older CDs)
Why is the record production industry doing this; streaming services (XM, Pandora, etc)
These are also data compressed for on air play at 64/96/128Kbps

Now if you have 128Kbps (the bare min for Audio) then you use BT there is
MP3 decompression
re-compression & decompression for BT
then the DAC used in the BT Rxr dongle

Not the ideal situation; if you are serious about wireless, wifi is a better bet.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello,

what software should I install to be able to enable streaming via bluetooth from my laptop ? My laptop has blutooth connectivity but for it to stream I vaguely know that A2DP to be enabled ?

should it be done from software or using USB dongle would enable ?
any help is appreciated.

I want it to stream so that my Rotel ( stereo amp RA-12)can be used for playing it

Try Chromecast Audio :) it's awesome !

Try Chromecast Audio :) it's awesome !

+1 the Chromecast Audio. It is the best thing for wireless streaming since sliced bread.

Bluetooth is an extremely limited technology, I upgraded from my Logitech Bluetooth speakers to a Sony docking station with a lightning connector and Sonos wireless speakers, and in both instances the quality of sound was a huge upgrade over Bluetooth.

Chromecast Audio to an external DAC is an even bigger of an upgrade. Wireless streaming in and of itself improves SQ over a wired connection and USB (this is for content from a PC or external NAS). For $35, the Chromecast Audio is a no-brainer.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back