Stylus types?

voodoochild

hey all,

The original stylus on the TT of my videocon is an N 73C, with a ceramic cartridge. what exactly does "N 73C" denote, and what are the other types available?

also, how can we check for compatibility between a replacement stylus and the TT? will there be any issues if a stylus of a different type is used?

am looking to find a replacement if possible, for the N 73C stylus for my player.

thanks,
rahul

Hi Rahul, N 73C is the model # you do not get ceramic stylus anymore, try SP road, if you find one, you are lucky.

There are three types of stylus Ceramic, Moving Coil (MC) & Moving Magnet(MM). Magnetic cartridges provide much lower tracking forces and damage to the record is minimal, but also have a much lower output than a crystal or ceramic pickup, in the range of few millivolts.

As far as compatibility is concerned, you can replace with a ceramic type not MM or MC. Checkout Balaji's, he might help you.

Regards,
Anil

hey all,

The original stylus on the TT of my videocon is an N 73C, with a ceramic cartridge. what exactly does "N 73C" denote, and what are the other types available?

also, how can we check for compatibility between a replacement stylus and the TT? will there be any issues if a stylus of a different type is used?

am looking to find a replacement if possible, for the N 73C stylus for my player.

thanks,
rahul

Last edited:
option 1: balaji got 2 new Pickering carts. One of them is XV15 and both of them are half inch mount.
option 2: Also, you can purchase Shure cart from
Reynold's Inc.
131 BRIGADE ROAD
BANGALORE - 560 025. INDIA
Tel: (080) 22218651 / 22215663 / 22292047
Fax: (080) 22292048
Email: [email protected]
Web : www.reynoldonline.com

option3: If you think that they are way beyond your budget, then I can help you procure a cheapo under Rs 800 new MM cart -- just PM me in that case.

Option 4: buy a good second hand cart.. shure etc and then purchase its stylus online.

Last edited:
With the existing tonearm it's not possible to fix a MM stylus as adjustable counterweight (in grams) is requied at the other end. However for high-fidelity sound reproduction a good tonearm design is very important.

Regards,
Anil

so its possible tochange a ceramic cartridge to an MM (on any machine), and procure a compatible stylus to go with it?

it is possible to replace the existing cart...there are only two fitment styles: half-inch and p-mount.
halfmount.jpg

pmount.jpg

thanks redlag and anil kumar for all the info! so mine's a 1/2 inch mount, although i dont see the two vertical screws anywhere. will look into it and see.

the N-73C happens to be manufactured by Toshiba. replacement of the same is available relatively cheap abroad. dont know about here though. am thinking of gettin a few of them as spares. any general opinion about the Toshiba N-73C? i havent really experienced any other stylus long-term, so i'm not in a position to compare.

Hi

I too own a videocon turntable.I prefer you change to a Magnetic Cartridge as i did.It needs a different circuit to gain the low output the magnetic cartridge gives and weight adjustments for tracking which could be done with ease. Ceramics are best for 78 rpm records and a magnetic cartridge gives you good listening pleasure. so if you catch hold of a record library or recording centre the guy there who would be knowing the details better than to the present generation electronic guys.He could lead you to a right technician. there are no screws in the Head mount cartridge has to be stuck or provision for fixing the screws has to be done.

Regards
Srinivas.

Last edited:
Hai,

As rightly pointed out by Anilkumar, a Magnetic cartridge cannot be fitted onto a Tonearm designed for ceramic model cartridge. The Tonearm should have counterweights to balance the weight of the cartridge as well as arrangement for tracking force. The difference in sound quality between Ceramic and Magnetic cartridge can be compared to that of Night and Day. I am using TT right from 1984 till date and have LPs as old as 32 years. With Magnetic cartridge the damage to LPs due to repeated use is very negligible, if properly used and maintained.

Thanks,

N Murali

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back