Subwoofer and source for Oberon 3+NAD 368

prish

I have Oberon 3 and NAD 368, which are sourced by HiBy R-3 Pro (Wav files ripped from CDs). My usage is 70% for music and 30% for movies. I experienced that Bluetooth as a source resulted in very inferior quality, so I tried having a wired connection with my HiBy R-3 Pro, and it was magic. That completely changed the sound, and it sounds great! Now I am curious to improve the experience and need your expert advice on the following points:

1. Subwoofer- I don't feel any need for more bass. Still, based on my experience during the demo, I loved how Subwoofer complemented the music and added that oomph to the movie-watching experience, so I felt that it took the experience to the next level. As I did not try it at my home, I am not confident that it's really worth buying the sub(especially for music) and am afraid that I may get a slight improvement by adding a sub (Shortlisted DALI E12-F for it's aesthetic match with speakers, price point, and expecting better compatibility with Oberon 3 an NAD amp )

2. Source- How do you compare wired HiBy R-3 Pro as compared with BluOS MDC integration? just in terms of sound quality

3. Upgrade- Can someone please share their experience if you have upgraded from Oberon 3 to Opticon 2 MK2?

Last edited:
A 8-12" sealed sub might work for you, however you would need to integrate it for best results, particularly the time domain. Do you have any tools to integrate them? Many subs have a phase adjust which may work.

No, I don't have any tool to integrate them. It would be great if you can suggest your thoughts on DALI E-12 F and the way to integrate it.

You could use the phase switch on it, I assume it has one. You heard it and liked it so it makes sense to go with it. If your looking for integration tools then you could try a DSP.

1. Subwoofer- I don't feel any need for more bass. Still, based on my experience during the demo, I loved how Subwoofer complemented the music and added that oomph to the movie-watching experience, so I felt that it took the experience to the next level. As I did not try it at my home, I am not confident that it's really worth buying the sub(especially for music) and am afraid that I may get a slight improvement by adding a sub (Shortlisted DALI E12-F for it's aesthetic match with speakers, price point, and expecting better compatibility with Oberon 3 an NAD amp )
Based on what speakers will be used as Main / Front, check the specs and add a subwoofer which can emit more lower frequencies. Some add subs as they prefer punch or to rattle the place as a club etc. Mainly for music, sealed Subs would be ideal.

3. Upgrade- Can someone please share their experience if you have upgraded from Oberon 3 to Opticon 2 MK2?

Listening to music is subjective and would vary from person to person which is based on genres and volume levels of playback. I would suggest to compare specs of both these models and audition with same source content so as to draw a comparison of both besides looking at their tech details and take a call. If you want to experience a different sound quality, check other brand speakers / models with same source content and then take a call.

Bottom line, the source and its quality is the most important. Simple logic is bad input will result in bad output!

All the best!

I have Oberon 3 and NAD 368, which are sourced by HiBy R-3 Pro (Wav files ripped from CDs). My usage is 70% for music and 30% for movies. I experienced that Bluetooth as a source resulted in very inferior quality, so I tried having a wired connection with my HiBy R-3 Pro, and it was magic. That completely changed the sound, and it sounds great! Now I am curious to improve the experience and need your expert advice on the following points:

2. Source- How do you compare wired HiBy R-3 Pro as compared with BluOS MDC integration? just in terms of sound quality

For music, I would suggest the Dali C-8D sub. The E12F is better suited to movies / HT imo.

I have a Dali C-8D sub, and it integrates really well with my Oberon 5s.

Not sure if you are a member of the Dali Speakers Owners Club. This is a great source of first hand and honest feedback. Please check out the group.
As far as my understanding goes, you won't get significant improvement with Dali subwoofers. They are rather refined - not that powerful. Also, subwoofers from Dali isn't very popular amongst HT users. Not because they are not good - because somehow, the subwoofers don't quite match the brilliance of the other offerings from Dali!
This is my perspective only. Hope this helps.

Not sure if you are a member of the Dali Speakers Owners Club. This is a great source of first hand and honest feedback. Please check out the group.
As far as my understanding goes, you won't get significant improvement with Dali subwoofers. They are rather refined - not that powerful. Also, subwoofers from Dali isn't very popular amongst HT users. Not because they are not good - because somehow, the subwoofers don't quite match the brilliance of the other offerings from Dali!
This is my perspective only. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Had never heard of it. Just did a google search. Facebook group ?
Have requested to join.

I have a psb alpha s10 subwoofer paired with dali spektor 2 speakers and they are brilliant for music at crossover set to 90hz and 1 'o' clock gain knob. I have the subwoofer on sale btw, kindly dm if interested.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back