Subwoofer connection to streamer in a stereo?

chander

Quick question, if your streamer has a sub out (single not rca), what difference would it make to connect the sub to the streamer rather than the amp? Would it be better, worse or have no impact? Streamer in question Blusound Node 2i, attached to an integrated, connected to a sub with pre-outs. Would a single sub out impact the sound adversely than connecting it via RCA?

I can always test it, just want to understand what the wise men say?

Quick question, if your streamer has a sub out (single not rca), what difference would it make to connect the sub to the streamer rather than the amp? Would it be better, worse or have no impact? Streamer in question Blusound Node 2i, attached to an integrated, connected to a sub with pre-outs. Would a single sub out impact the sound adversely than connecting it via RCA?

I can always test it, just want to understand what the wise men say?
Hey Chander, im not trying to spam your posts but bear with me - at the least, its a matter of convenience and at the most, that of sound coloration. I'm sure you already suspect what I'm going to state but since I've done the time, I might as well chip in i guess.

Firstly, I assume that the Bluenode has a gain control in addition to your amp which, again i assume to be an integrated rather than a power amp (you can correct me if I'm wrong and in which case, the inconvenience shall be largely negated). I have run subs in the aforementioned config i.e. my Marantz SR6013 was the preamp to which the sub was connected whereas my speakers were driven by a PM6006 connected to the preamp outs of the former. First of all, you will have to gain match the sub to the speakers because the output of both would be different than if the sub was connected to the amp in which case, the amp takes care of it. You'll have to go through the whole hog of using an SPL meter to check the volume of the sub and your speakers individually at your position or if relying solely upon hearing, salt as per taste.

Secondly, something specific to my situation, though i was using my PC to control the gain, i would inevitably find myself turning the gain up and down on the SR6013 as well. Since both the PM6006 and the SR6013 can be controlled by the same remote, turning up the volume in the SR6013 would mess with the gain on the PM6006 and then it was back to step one i.e. since the steps on the gain of the SR6013 are not the same as that of the PM6006, I'd have to gain match again. I mostly got around it by controlling the gain on the SR6013 by using the App. Now in your situation, if you believe you are never going to be fiddling with the gain on the amp, go right ahead. Otherwise, its just a giant pain in the posterior to do it every single time you fiddle with the gains on the amp, accidental or otherwise.

Coming to colouration, every integrated amp, preamp and poweramp has its own unique sound signature which is why people go for component matching from same manufacturer/series while shopping CD players/Preamps/Poweramps. Your Bluenode 2i, no matter how well it matches with your amp, will have a slightly different sonic signature than that of your amp. Sonic colouration is much less detectable in the lower frequencies but nevertheless, it'll be there so again, its a matter of salt as per taste. So much so that in my stereo setup, i am currently using a single KEF Q350 and a Wharfedale Evo 4.2 placed around my room to bolster the frequency response between 40 and 150hz using a bandpass filter on my Crown which has a different sound signature than the CXA81 which is feeding it on one hand and the main speakers and sub on the other. In essence, its a multisub setup (dissenters may voice their opinion). Yes, theres a very slight colouration, but its barely detectable unless you're specifically listening for it and perform back to back listening tests without them in play. To my ears, very much liveable.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
its just a giant pain in the posterior
This is exactly what I was looking for to stop me going down another rabbit hole :p!

Your Bluenode 2i, no matter how well it matches with you amp, will have a slightly different sonic signature than that of your amp
Absolutely, for better or worse, it does make the signature more enjoyable, as of now, till I find something else to convince my brain, I was listening to s**t all along!

i am currently using a single KEF Q350 and a Wharfedale Evo 4.2 to bolster the frequency response between 40 and 150hz using a bandpass filter on my Crown
Does that mean you are using 1 of each? In a stereo? Sorry to sound like a dumba**, but if that is what you meant, it will be worth having a look!

Thanks again for taking the time to explain it all @DB1989. Cheers man!

**Any opinions or understanding on the difference between a single Sub out vs a RCA pre-out, impacting the sound quality in case of stereo?

This is exactly what I was looking for to stop me going down another rabbit hole :p!
Done the time myself and I'm not a sadist so...
Absolutely, for better or worse, it does make the signature more enjoyable, as of now, till I find something else to convince my brain, I was listening to s**t all along!
Enjoy the feeling while it lasts! :p
Does that mean you are using 1 of each? In a stereo? Sorry to sound like a dumba**, but if that is what you meant, it will be worth having a look!
You heard that right. The Evos do surround LR duties while the KEFs are positioned as back LR surrounds for movies while connected to the AVR (Its a 7.1.2 setup). I'm running an additional wire from my crown to one of each of the said speakers. While listening to music, i simply pull out the wire from the back of the speaker which is from the AVR and plug in that from the Crown, made convenient in no small measure due to banana plugs. With bare wire and all the consequential screwing and unscrewing involved, I wouldn't bother. Coming back, the crown allows for an individual band pass filter for both its left and right channels. Though i could have used both the Evos in conjunction rather than bringing the KEF into the picture but due to the inherent variance in the frequency response of the room due to where the speakers are placed, i found that the KEF, in its right surround position, was better for bolstering the 30-60hz frequencies whereas the Evo in its left surround position was more adept at the 60-120hz region. Basically, it was to even out the nulls and peaks in my listening position as well as to get better bass distribution in other parts of the room. Since bass frequencies are difficult to localize due to their longer wave lengths (half baked knowledge), it doesn't pose a problem insofar as stereo imaging fidelity is concerned, similar to that of a well integrated sub. The drivers are also smaller on the said speakers i.e. 6.5 inch so they are quick and capable of keeping up with the mix in these upper bass frequencies.

How do I know all of the above? Enter Umik-1 and REW. Seriously, get it! It'll be one of the best 10Ks you've ever spent on audio equipment. At the very least, you'll have fun experimenting with how changing placement of your speakers/sub changes the frequency response.
Thanks again for taking the time to explain it all @DB1989. Cheers man!
Anytime!
**Any opinions or understanding on the difference between a single Sub out vs a RCA pre-out, impacting the sound quality in case of stereo?
Again, did that and found that there's no difference as such except that you have to set the crossover yourself on the subwoofer since the preamp RCA out carries a full range signal whereas the sub out has an internal low pass filter applied.

Last edited:
i found that the KEF, in its right surround position, was better for bolstering the 30-60hz frequencies whereas the Evo in its left surround position was more adept at the 60-120hz region
Amazed!
Again, did that and found that there's no difference as such except that you have to set the crossover yourself on the subwoofer since the preamp RCA out carries a full range signal whereas the sub out has an internal low pass filter applied.
Cheers thanks! That helps!

Just to clarify, the crown is connected to the Preamp outs of my CXA81.

Also, I have revised the writeup in the previous comment slightly with some additional info so that it may perhaps help bring some additional clarity to the entire process :p

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back