Subwoofer for 5.1 set up built around rs6

Last edited:
doors666,

I have owned many subs, and I can tell you that the Supercubes are great for movies. I decided to keep it even when I was getting the matching RS sub at a great price.

You might want to read the comments by unleash_me in the following thread:
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/672-subwoofers-monitor-audio-rs-w12-vs-deftech-supercube-2-a.html

Also check out this Interactive Frequency Chart - Independent Recording Network.

Thanks,
Sharad

thanx, that chart is very useful. As per the chart, among the common instruments, only bass guitar, piano, pipe organ and harp go below 40hz. The indian instruments arent mentioned et al, though by looking at the list, probably these wont go below 40hz. These instruments are being used in classic rock, metal, jazz, blues, and probably western classical music, most of which I do listen to, so a sub will be useful for me.:)

You cant gauge the sc2 performance from sc reference. sc ref costs practically twice as much as the sc2 or MA. And in that price range, I think you can do better.

After reading lots of reviews on the web, looks like the MA comes as a highly regarded sub, while that does not seem to be the case with sc2, which is good for movies mainly. So if thats the intent, its a great sub no doubt, but if you need an all-rounder, MA is probably going to be a better bet.

i have shortlisted the following
- velodyne impact 12 (not sure if CHT12 is a good idea since its discontinued - also its more expensive) - btw any idea why impact 12 is cheaper than CHT12 - noth have 12" drivers
- wharfedale sw250
- def tech supercubes - i am yet to hear - any idea who are dealers in mumbai?

rs6 owners in this forum- will be helpful to know what sub you are using...?

thanks in advance

Hi shyamal,
i have rs6 & rsw12 using for past three months with marantz cdp & stereo amp.i had velodyne cht12r before.
RSW12 -SPEED & DETAILED BASS sink well with rs6.
CHT12R-TIGHT & PRESSURED BASS diffrent sound compred to rs6.

Thanks,
karthikeyan

while Def Tech is a bit clever with numbers, they do make some good speakers. I've heard the BP10B floorstanders i think (or was it the BP8B?i am not sure), and it sounded quite lovely with Quad electronics.

RS6 goes only to about 38 Hz, and thats an unqualified number, not at -3db. Thats not low enough that you dont need a sub. Many of the subs low range for crossover is 40hz.
def tech is one of the most notorious companies for publishing super exaggerated numbers. if it says it goes to 14hz, it will go there at probably -80db not -3db or even -6db:lol:

while Def Tech is a bit clever with numbers, they do make some good speakers. I've heard the BP10B floorstanders i think (or was it the BP8B?i am not sure), and it sounded quite lovely with Quad electronics.

I agree, they make good speakers and subs, no doubt about that.
Though I dont think their subs are good vfm. at a given price point, you probably will be able to do better.

i have shortlisted the following
- velodyne impact 12 (not sure if CHT12 is a good idea since its discontinued - also its more expensive) - btw any idea why impact 12 is cheaper than CHT12 - noth have 12" drivers
- wharfedale sw250
- def tech supercubes - i am yet to hear - any idea who are dealers in mumbai?

rs6 owners in this forum- will be helpful to know what sub you are using...?

thanks in advance

impact 12 is just 165w, while cht-12r is 200w I think. cht goes to 25hz at -3db, impact goes down to just 29hz. cht is better for music than impact, while both are good at movies.

I heard there is a cht-10q that is out, while cht-10r is discontinued. just check.

wf 250 - discontinued.

rough prices for def tech -
Sc reference 1.17
sc1 77k
sc2 63.5
sc3 47k

I think lakozy is dealer for deftech in mumbai.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back