Subwoofer for Tube Amplifier setup

carthicsj

Dear FMs,

I have the following setup for near field music listening in a 10' x 10' room:

SMSL SU9 DAC, Reisong A10 Integrated Tube Amp (EL34), Klipsh RP600M Bookshelf Speakers.

Amp is a low power SET amp (6.5 watts/channel). I am very satisfied with the high and mid ranges. But I find the low end to be weak. So, I am considering adding a subwoofer to the setup. Since my amp does not have subwoofer output, subwoofer has to have line/high level input.

REL TZero Mark III and REL T5x seem to have good reviews for music listening. REL TZero would suffice for now. But T5x could help when I move to a larger room. Has any one tried these subwoofers with tube amp? If so, kindly share your experience (connections, tuning/matching the subwoofer, net improvement to music quality). I don't want the subwoofer to be overwhelming and spoil the pleasure of tube amp.

Also, kindly share current street prices of these subwoofers and suggest dealers in Coimbatore/Chennai/Bangalore. I found couple of online sellers, but their price seem high.

Thanks
CS

Dear FMs,

SMSL SU9 DAC, Reisong A10 Integrated Tube Amp (EL34), Klipsh RP600M Bookshelf Speakers.

Amp is a low power SET amp (6.5 watts/channel). I am very satisfied with the high and mid ranges. But I find the low end to be weak. So, I am considering adding a subwoofer to the setup. Since my amp does not have subwoofer output, subwoofer has to have line/high level input.

REL TZero Mark III and REL T5x seem to have good reviews for music listening. REL TZero would suffice for now. But T5x could help when I move to a larger room. Has any one tried these subwoofers with tube amp? If so, kindly share your experience (connections, tuning/matching the subwoofer, net improvement to music quality). I don't want the subwoofer to be overwhelming and spoil the pleasure of tube amp.

Also, kindly share current street prices of these subwoofers and suggest dealers in Coimbatore/Chennai/Bangalore. I found couple of online sellers, but their price seem high.

Thanks
CS
First and cheapest suggestion would be to check if your tube amp can take KT88 tubes. Doesn't matter if it is auto or manual bias. EL34 tubes do have that mid range magic, but they roll off very steeply at both frequency extremes. Mean both bass and treble.
But on the contrary, the KT88 tubes, might restore the missing higher treble, thereby making your speakers sound bright. So nothing like borrowing a KT88 amp and trying in your room. Being in chennai, there should be enough forum members from whom you can borrow for a day or two. All the best :)

I am happy with the KEF KC62 subwoofer
It’s tiny by subwoofer standards, relatively easy to position and integrate with bookshelves.
Previously I also had a very positive experience with the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x (has a phone based app control and room correction!). (please contact @KNRAMU for more on the ML)

First and cheapest suggestion would be to check if your tube amp can take KT88 tubes. Doesn't matter if it is auto or manual bias. EL34 tubes do have that mid range magic, but they roll off very steeply at both frequency extremes. Mean both bass and treble.
But on the contrary, the KT88 tubes, might restore the missing higher treble, thereby making your speakers sound bright. So nothing like borrowing a KT88 amp and trying in your room. Being in chennai, there should be enough forum members from whom you can borrow for a day or two. All the best :)
Unfortunately my amp only takes EL34 tubes. Else, this indeed would have been a very good option.

ProSonics, Bangalore giving monsoon offer (25% discount on MRP) on Rhythmic Subwoofers.
Thanks. I'll explore Rhythmik sealed subwoofers. Their smallest is 12" and my concern is that it may overpower my setup. I thought that REL 6.5" and 8" subwoofers would be fast and be easy to match my setup.

I am happy with the KEF KC62 subwoofer
It’s tiny by subwoofer standards, relatively easy to position and integrate with bookshelves.
Previously I also had a very positive experience with the Martin Logan Dynamo 800x (has a phone based app control and room correction!). (please contact @KNRAMU for more on the ML)
Thanks. KEF KC62 seems very interesting - compact with speaker level inputs. But, it costs 3x REL TZero :(

Dear FMs,

Thanks
CS
I'm using a REL T5i with a Rethm Gaanam tube amp. Very happy with how everything works together. There was no setup hassle. I wired the REL high-level cable the way they instructed in the manual, and it worked fine.

I also considered a T Zero back then, with the idea that I'd get one more if the first one didn't cut it. The speakers I'm using are full range units with 5" drivers. That was mostly why I was looking at the T Zero. But I went for the T5i because the dealer I bought it from strongly suggested the T5i for my room. I'm glad they did that, because the T5i works just perfectly, and I might have been disappointed with the T Zero.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back