Suggest a good driver for subwoofer please....

To put it very simple, i have an Iwai 10" driver. Is it possible to build a compact sealed sub that performs as good as mortin Logan ??? How???

Or....apart from design, if driver also has its role in such a performance. In that case i have to get better driver any way....

True.. .!!! Getting from authorized suppliers is another painful ordeal. Either stocks unavailable or we have to buy in bulk.

I have been trying to get 8" mid drivers from suppliers for the last few months, but couldn't succeed.

JBL/Pioneer/Sony, all have very good presence in India. I ve measured my Pioneer 12" to have Qts of 0.35 and 2.5" coil dia, meaning: its a fairly strong motor. Fakes almost always have high Qts and smaller coil size they are easy to spot.

If you opt for Pro audio brands then you will be spoilt for choice, there are too many local as well as imported :). One of the most popular pro audio brands is P Audio, they are available in original as well as fake. They have very good portfolio.
http://paudiothailand.com/pac/index.cfm/products/low-frequency-loudspeakers/

I ve used one of P Audio compression driver and found it to be very good.
Sonotone in Mumbai is authorised distributor http://www.sonotone.in/brands-paudio

Unibox models the enclosure with sealed, ported, bandpass and PR alignment and even can show comparison

To put it very simple, i have an Iwai 10" driver. Is it possible to build a compact sealed sub that performs as good as mortin Logan ??? How???

Or....apart from design, if driver also has its role in such a performance. In that case i have to get better driver any way....
IMHO, A single sub can never sound good. The room modes are uncontrolled with a single sub. It does not matter what the sub brand/size/alignment/power is. When room modes are addressed one achieves bliss. DIY or branded does not matter at all.

Last edited:
Well at this juncture, i have to definitely try the below options one after the other..... in no particular order...

1. Sealed subs with my existing drivers

2. TL subs with my existing drivers (need to study T L design)

3. Band pass with my existing drivers...(need to study design basics)

4. Idea suggested by @diyaudio in post #4 using two existing 10" Iwai drivers + two 12" PRs. (I need to study some basics or atleast some thumbrules before attempting this.

5. Ported/sealed with one of the drivers suggested by Aniket. (Need to check availability of drivers and price)

Tune very low, like 20Hz or 25Hz.
Hi diyaudio,
I am trying to simulate PR method with my existing 10" Iwai drivers and 12" dayton audio Passive Radiators.

When you say tune to 20 or 25Hz, do you mean to target that frequency at F3 or F10 point?
Because with my current 10" driver, it looks like it is not possible to get an F3 of 25Hz, whatever may be the box size.

But it is possible to get around 25Hz at F10. (graph is not very clean though...)

Do not worry about free field response of the simulation, use slight Eq to get the required extension.

A PR can replace ports as follows.
Simulate the box as a regular ported box with 2 12" dia ports, yes 2 12" dia ports. Take tuning frequency as 25Hz. The simulation will give you a huge number for the calculated port length. Now use the port dia and length to calculate the mass of the ports and use that mass as the weight of the PR. Your tuning will get a little higher than 25 Hz due to the slightly higher stiffness of the PR as compared to port. Now use the impedance to add/remove weight of the PR and fine tune as per your peak SPL requirement. Tune higher for higher SPL capability, tune lower for more 'extension' but lower max SPL capability.

Last edited:
this turned out to be very interesting ...
I made some priliminary simulations with 1 driver, 2 drivers, 1driver+1PR, 1driver+2PR etc etc ....
The results are as follows ....

10 inch sub iwai _ PR_10.JPG

Ok.....
Do not worry about free field response of the simulation, use slight Eq to get the required extension.

A PR can replace ports as follows.
Simulate the box as a regular ported box with 2 12" dia ports, yes 2 12" dia ports. Take tuning frequency as 25Hz. The simulation will give you a huge number for the calculated port length. Now use the port dia and length to calculate the mass of the ports and use that mass as the weight of the PR. Your tuning will get a little higher than 25 Hz due to the slightly higher stiffness of the PR as compared to port. Now use the impedance to add/remove weight of the PR and fine tune as per your peak SPL requirement. Tune higher for higher SPL capability, tune lower for more 'extension' but lower max SPL capability.
Ooh....there are some really cool tricks :):):)

Let me try this method !!!:D:D

this turned out to be very interesting ...
I made some priliminary simulations with 1 driver, 2 drivers, 1driver+1PR, 1driver+2PR etc etc ....
The results are as follows ....

View attachment 32332
Ideally, this comparison is not right. May be we have to compare keeping the box size same. But since the shape of the graphs came out to be odd for some configurations, I had to change the box volume to adjust the graph to nearly flat...

But this is the first time I'm attempting PR simulation....so I need a few days to get better results.....

Pls post your T/S params of 10" driver, specifically, Fs, Qts,Qms, Qes (any two of the Qs), Vas, Xmax, Re and coil size

Hi Diyaudio,
The below are the TS parameters ....

Fs= 28.16
Qts=0.26
Qms=5.78
Qes=0.27
Vas=55.32 L
Xmax = +/- 5mm
Re = 3.13
Voice coil dia =50mm

TS Iwai 10in 200W 4Ohms dual magnet_1.JPG

TS Iwai 10in 200W 4Ohms dual magnet_2.JPG

TS Iwai 10in 200W 4Ohms dual magnet_3.JPG

my existing ported sub gives 39Hz (F3) & and 31Hz (F10) @ 29L internal volume

From the table in post #33 adding a PR didn't show any improvement.
So possibility is there, i might have missed some logic in simulation too....
I will explore further .... and I have to try the approach you suggested for tuning low .... :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back