Suggest an upgrade from the Rethm Maarga

atharva

Happy Diwali everyone..

The Maarga has served me very well. It is a great sweet spot in terms of pricing and performance. Had them for a few years and am looking to upgrade. Which FS would you recommend for a budget of around 15K (+/- 2K) USD? Room size is 15x19x10 (listening position is at about 14 ft). Not looking at Saadhanas as high efficiency horns have limited amplification options like SET tubes that they work with.

Music choices - Indian Classical, Jazz, Bollywood, Rock, Pop etc. etc. Quite varied.

Sources - cd rips, vinyl and other hi-res music. Also stream via Apple/Spotify and doubles up as 2-channel home theater.

Speaker qualities - Should have good tonality (no coloration, instruments sound the way they are supposed to), produce good sound stage, disappear easily, have amazing midrange and vocals, are non fatiguing and have good punchy low extension without needing a sub. It'll be great if they are not fussy with placement, amp matching and can placed close to back walls.

Happy Diwali everyone..

The Maarga has served me very well. It is a great sweet spot in terms of pricing and performance. Had them for a few years and am looking to upgrade. Which FS would you recommend for a budget of around 15K (+/- 2K) USD? Room size is 15x19x10 (listening position is at about 14 ft). Not looking at Saadhanas as high efficiency horns have limited amplification options like SET tubes that they work with.

Music choices - Indian Classical, Jazz, Bollywood, Rock, Pop etc. etc. Quite varied.

Sources - cd rips, vinyl and other hi-res music. Also stream via Apple/Spotify and doubles up as 2-channel home theater.

Speaker qualities - Should have good tonality (no coloration, instruments sound the way they are supposed to), produce good sound stage, disappear easily, have amazing midrange and vocals, are non fatiguing and have good punchy low extension without needing a sub. It'll be great if they are not fussy with placement, amp matching and can placed close to back walls.
Revel F328be
Or
Revel studio 2
Or
Jbl synthesis floor standers.

What amplification?
Or would that come once the speakers are decided?

Higher end Tannoys, maybe?

Thank you all for the suggestions. Will look into those.

@Naturelover, thanks for raising this. I'm hoping that there are more choices for amplification with this route but would like if people can chime in with amp options as well to go along.

Dealer recommendaion for Tannoy in India?

One thought for your consideration, if you have a brand in mind and there is no dealer representation in India, you can buy directly from the manufacturer and you can get a good deal as compared to the list prices.

You have a good budget and all the best.

Happy Diwali Atharva. Look up Devore Fidelity Orangutan 0/96. It may be up your alley.

Happy Diwali everyone..

Tannoy Prestige Kensington may suit this requirement.

Thanks @prem and @RajithKumar.

Anything from the stable of ATC/Harbeth? What about Golden Ear Triton Reference?

@prem, I am considering Tekton although it might be a headache to import. Looks like you replaced the Tektons. What was your opinion?

ATC and Harbeth are very different sounding from each other. Both need watts to sing. Coming from Maarga, which is a very good speaker, I assumed you would want something similar but with more flexibility. Which is why I suggested Orangutan.

Tekton is an extremely good speaker. It has most of the qualities of Rethm. Rethm would still have an edge on the mids. But the Tekton goes deeper. And is surprisingly as coherent as the Rethm. Tekton is very neutral. Works well with all kinds of amps. Is also easy to position.

Since you had a 15 lakh budget, didn’t suggest it :)

If it was me, I would choose Tekton over Harbeth, Tannoy and Focal.

With ATC and Orangutan, it’s a toss up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I've never heard either ATC or Harbeth. From what little I read, ATC are known for transparency while Harbeths are warmer. If you've heard them can you compare the sound with the Rethm? I'd like very much to hear the 40.2 and the SCM40 even if as an experience.

Once you are used to the Rethm sound, you’ll need that speed and transparency. Listening to those little minor inflections in the voice and instruments become an addiction. You will find it lacking in Harbeth. Coming from Rethm, you’ll find Focal too hifi sounding and Tannoy a bit sluggish and thick sounding.

ATC should be fine. But as I said earlier you need 150 watts and above to get them to sing. Best to go active with ATC and get a great tube pre.

Anything from the stable of ATC/Harbeth? What about Golden Ear Triton Reference?

reason I suggested the Spendor is that it will give you a sense of the BBC sound. If you find it works for you, explore the options from Harbeth / Graham etc

would second Prem’s suggestion of the Devores. Distributor is Absolute Phase in Bangalore. Also represent Harbeth

golden ear tritons are not in the same league as the other options being discussed here from what I’ve experienced. I don’t know if their sound has changed dramatically in the last couple of years

Atharva, you can speak to Essrand on the forum for Orangutan, GerrytheMerry for Focal Sopra, Arj for Tannoy and Dr Bass or Sidvee for ATC and understand from them what each of these speakers bring to the table.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back