Suggest an USB DAC for <=$60

elangoas

Hi All,

Looking for an USB DAC (for my friend) which will be used with Marantz stereo amplifier & Aiwa Bookshelf speakers.. Source will the Laptop with digital files (MP3, WAV & FLAC)..

A friend of mine is travelling to US in 2 weeks time, so thought to pick it up from Amazon.com..

Request you all to suggest models around this budget also any good deals thru amazon.com..

I did go thru few models with 3.5mm headphone out.. Guess this can be used with a stereo Y-cable to stereo amplifier?

upto 96/24 resolution is fine... No Hi-Res Audio...

Last edited:
Visit this page - Ready made, choose as per the budget.

They offers value many times more their prices.

Thanks for the link.... Me too was looking @ this DAC on Amazon.com....

Looks like Asynchronous mode is great for USB playback...

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

So i guess i can connect a stereo Y-Cable to the headphone out to stereo amplifier analog inputs...

Do i need to pay attention to Y cable? Thinking of MX....

Thanks for the link.... Me too was looking @ this DAC on Amazon.com....

Looks like Asynchronous mode is great for USB playback...

HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 Asynchronous USB DAC

So i guess i can connect a stereo Y-Cable to the headphone out to stereo amplifier analog inputs...

Do i need to pay attention to Y cable? Thinking of MX....

USB isolation is necessary for silent background, so order this - HiFimeDIY USB Isolator along the Sabre U2 for best possible result.

During playback if the user can keep the system (pc) light then adaptive DAC like this - http://hifimediy.com/DACs/ready-made-dacs/sabre-dac-uae23 will work well and same. But again the USB isolator should be used.

Last edited:
The Fiio E07K can be picked up here in India, and in my opinion it is tremendous vfm. As a dac it is decent, you get a headphone amplifier as well. It is doing DAC duty in my stereo setup and has been doing it quite nicely for the last year and half.

USB isolation is necessary for silent background, so order this - HiFimeDIY USB Isolator along the Sabre U2 for best possible result.

During playback if the user can keep the system (pc) light then adaptive DAC like this - HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC ES9023 96Khz/24bit will work well and same. But again the USB isolator should be used.

If somebody is interested in using a USB isolator I have one for sale at the below location http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/59369-usb-2-0-isolated-galvanically-isolated-usb-2-0-full-speed-adaptor.html.

thanks

During playback if the user can keep the system (pc) light then adaptive DAC like this - HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC ES9023 96Khz/24bit will work well and same. But again the USB isolator should be used.

Thanks for the info... My friend being newbie to all this, wouldn't be really interested in Isolator..

Btw could you explain what did you mean by "Keep the system (pc) light"

The Fiio E07K can be picked up here in India, and in my opinion it is tremendous vfm. As a dac it is decent, you get a headphone amplifier as well. It is doing DAC duty in my stereo setup and has been doing it quite nicely for the last year and half.

Thanks buddy... Above the budget....I don't think USB products like these will attract duty in india, moreover they are really cheap in the US...

Especially in adaptive mode data flow and clock are more system (pc) dependent. So for smooth data transmission, hence for the sake of better musical experience you get rid of unnecessary tasks during music playback on pc, just to ensure your system give usb data transmission as it's priority.

Suggest an USB DAC for &lt;=$60

Hi good evening everyone
Your opinion for a DAC for both headphones and AVR from schiit
Budget-$150(friend of mine is coming from US)
Thanks

My friend was able to pickup the Encore MDac (mDAC) for $65 from Amazon. So i borrowed that for a few days for first hand experience..

Per the specs, it is Asynchronous USB DAC, but limited to 96/24.. So i guess no drivers required for windows...

I have Installed Foobar 2000 on my Laptop, configured the default playback device as (mDAC Async - as shown in windows speaker icon).

I installed WASAPI plugin for Foobar2000.. I could see both WASAPI Event & WASAPI Push under "devices" in Foobar...

While am able to get output from Push mode, am not able to get any output from Event mode... Am i missing any setting here ?

I even tried with Kodi. I was able to select WASAPI SPDIF interface (mDAC-Async), am able to get output...

Any insights on why am not able to get output from foobar in Event mode?

BUMPing a half-decade old post.
Which one to go for?
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card vs Behringer UCA202.
Interface shall be Asus Laptop and 2.1 Swans MK100II speakers.
Anything else to look out in that budget?

BUMPing a half-decade old post.
Which one to go for?
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 USB Sound Card vs Behringer UCA202.
Interface shall be Asus Laptop and 2.1 Swans MK100II speakers.
Anything else to look out in that budget?

If you want to stretch ur budget little bit more, then U may consider "Modi2 DAC" from Schiit Audio. It is a better option than sound card. I personally use Modi2 and it's quite satisfying.

Have a look here Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA..

If you want to stretch ur budget little bit more, then U may consider "Modi2 DAC" from Schiit Audio. It is a better option than sound card. I personally use Modi2 and it's quite satisfying.

Have a look here Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA..

Will Schiit themselves ship this me and what all will be the charges applied (tax+customs+shipping+anything else)? Will it go more than 150$ (product+other charges)?

Will Schiit themselves ship this me and what all will be the charges applied (tax+customs+shipping+anything else)? Will it go more than 150$ (product+other charges)?

I was looking for to buy Modi last week, that window is still open in my chrome. These are the shipping options available, this on top of list price:

USPS Uninsured International $25.64
FedEx International Economy $38.82
FedEx International Priority $42.44
USPS Priority International $46.64
USPS Priority Express International $59.03

If you are thinking of Modi-2 ($99) it would be better if someone can hand carry it for you.
For the price of shipping/custom, you will get Modi-2-Uber ($149)

Just acquired Modi-2-Uber. Really small (fits in the palm of your hand) and a very good addition to my setup.

Last edited:
Back